!!! Battlefield 2 Demo Review on Skybuck's Dream PC (2006)

Old April 13th 06, 04:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default !!! Battlefield 2 Demo Review on Skybuck's Dream PC (2006)

Hello,

Originally I intended to post in the audio newsgroup only but I might
as well treat all three items in one go, audio, graphics and
performance

Let me start with:

!!! I am truely impressed with the X-Fi Elite Pro and Surround Sound
System... !!!

While my computer is downloading some more game demos I might as well
write a review about my experience with Skybuck's Dream PC (2006) and
Battlefield 2 Demo version 1.0.2446.12.

I am truely impressed with the sound... and ofcourse the graphics as
well... and the performance etc. It's truely awesome and impressive.

Now back to the sound...

The sound is simply amazing !

It's totally different compared to two speakers sets, Literally ! Some
voice messages are different... I don't know why yet.. maybe one gets
different voice messages as soon as you go ultra high sound quality...
Everything sounds 10x times better and a bit different too. Just higher
quality in general... deeper, cooler, fricking awesome... I PROMISE !!!

I am not sure if this is because of the soundcard or because of the
higher sound settings or because of a different demo version...

Whatever the case may be... the sound is truely and utterly awesome and
worth every penny I spent on this card and the surround sound system...

Ofcourse I have a lot more testing to do... for example comparing the
onboard audio to the x-fi elite pro...

But so far I am pretty much almost literally blown away with the sound
and the graphics.

Even the graphics are far better than I ever expected. For example I
watched this funny video of bf2... but on my pc it looks even better.

I can set everything on ultra high and anti 4x etc... and resolution
1600x1200 (highest possible) and the two graphics cards (7900 512 mb)
simply cut through it like a knife through the butter.

The frame rate is most of the time 90 or even higher.

The cards aren't even breaking a sweat. And the graphics look superb...
the sand is almost glowing... the shadows are great... everything just
looks supeeeeerr...
You gotta see it to really understand how good it looks and to believe
it... I swear to god it's 10x times better then I ever expected.
Everything is better the explosions... the sound of the explosions just
pretty much everything !!!

So far I played on a 32 player server only...

I also tried playing on a 64 player server which was a bit laggy... but
my game crashed twice within two seconds... Don't know exactly what
causes that... but others have reported about this and their might be a
fix for it... so I ll check that out if it crashes again etc.

The first time I played it didn't crash and I could just play and play
and play... but then some players left and it got a bit boring and me
left.

Though I could hit everything perfect. from the chopper and on the
ground as soldier etc...

I haven't really flow choppers only a bit... and only a little bit with
planes... we couldnt even lift off we got spawned killed the whole
time.

To be honest shooters are starting to bore me a bit... add the stupid
cheater factor and I could predict the death of the shooter in 5
years... however who cares

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old April 13th 06, 05:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Skybuck wrote in message
.com...
[...]

they upgraded alot of the sound samples when they released the first patch.

Old April 13th 06, 06:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

they upgraded alot of the sound samples when they released the first patch.

Did they upgrade the demo too or only the full version ??

Anyway.

I just played Doom 3 Single Player, Quake 4 Single Player and Quake 4
Multiplayer.

My conclusion is that Battlefield 2 Demo owns Doom3 and Quake4 Big
time.

Battlefield 2 is definetly 2 times maybe even 4 times more
beautifull... and 8x times more impressive when it comes to sound.

Doom 3 Demo did not even support surround sound. It had an option for
it but it didn't work

Doom 3 single player was kinda scary and exciting though

I also played Doom 3 on low resolution on an old computer and at least
for Doom 3 it doesn't matter so much if you play it on hi-res or
low-res.. it's both almost as beautifull..

I like complaing though in the hope that it will make things better.

I do have a complaint hehe.

All games startup in 800x600 or something like that.

It would be cool if the games can detect my hi-resolution and simply
automatically switch to hi-res.

It would also be cool if they default to high settings if they detect
my super graphics cards =D hehe.

Saves me from having to restart multiple times at least for doom and
quake etc...

My second complaints is euhmm.. let me think... hmmm. Oh yeah now I
remember.

The maximum resolution of most games so far is 1600x1200.

However my monitor can handle 1920x1200.

So I hope to see some games use that resolution in the future.

I also tried playing Doom 3 with 16x anti aliasing but my mouse started
to become laggy... kinda strange.

Quake 4 was kinda laggy too probably because I was playing on a server
far away... not many servers to play on lol.

Quake 4 did support surround sound however...

I didn't even have surround sound speaker settings in control panel
when I play battlefield 2... but I think battlefield 2 is intelligent
enough anyway to automatically switch to surround sound... because the
sound was already excellent in bf2.

Anyway when playing quake 4 in surround sound that was kinda funny.

Sometimes I could really hear sounds from behind me and far away...
almost like my nextdoor neighbours were making strange sounds hehe.

But let there be no doubt... Battlefield 2 owns Quake/Doom big time =D

Battlefield 2 is uber uber uber uber

Like at least 4 times as good and that is being conservative.

The sound is as I already said 10 times better.

And graphics 4 times better.

So that's an average of at least 7.5 times better lol.

However most if not all of these 3d games are starting to bore me...

I look forward to playing civilization 3 conquest on this dream pc.

I am very curious how it will perform and how far it can be pushed.

Like how many cities and how many units before it starts to freeze/lag
or crash/sync out.

Oh man... I hope it will be great and lot's of cities and lot's of
units and big mother****ing maps... However small maps are already
lenghty.

And I probably dont even need two graphics cards of total 1200 euro's
for it lol.

At least my system can handle any game for the coming year or so :P

Gje I tested like 3 demos in one day.

Downloading, installing, playing, loading everything went pretty fast.

Expect for battlefield 2, shader initialization... it only has to do
that everytime the video graphics change... that sure took long.. .that
was amazing. But after that everything loaded pretty fast... etc, etc,
etc.

I wonder what the future will bring... hopefully more awesome/crazy
surround system effects and stuff... eax, eax2 and eax3 support...
definetly a must for any future game ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old April 14th 06, 05:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

I also tried playing on a 64 player server which was a bit laggy... but
my game crashed twice within two seconds... Don't know exactly what
causes that... but others have reported about this and their might be a
fix for it... so I ll check that out if it crashes again etc.

I played again for many hours. I think I know what happened... I simply
pressed escape to long when the game started so it went back to the
menu... so it appeared I got kicked from the server... in reality I was
probably still on the server.

I did play on a 48 server... after the round ended I think I got kicked
from the server.

I'll look into that some more

Bye,
Skybuck.