asus abmzn-la mobo, help find or replace plz!!!

Old November 30th 08, 05:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.computer.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Collon

Default asus abmzn-la mobo, help find or replace plz!!!

compaq presario sr2017cl (sr2000 series) amd athlon64
mobo says asus abmzn-la (but nothing on Asus site or Google!)

Computer won't post. Took both rams out, computer/mobo won't beep. I think
even this pci-express mobo board should still beep if it is good mobo and
processor. Nothing wrong with psu, monitor, or ram . . . I've verified these
components work.

So.....if I can't find another mobo just like this one and I don't know how
to verify that the processor still works, can you help me find another
abmzn-la with processor that I can buy?

If not, can you help me find a close alternative mobo to replace this one?

Thanks!!!

Old November 30th 08, 07:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.computer.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jim Beard[_2_]

Collon wrote:
compaq presario sr2017cl (sr2000 series) amd athlon64
mobo says asus abmzn-la (but nothing on Asus site or Google!)

On page 2 or 3 of a google,
"looked up the motherboard, and wrote down ASUS ABMZN-LA took me
an hour to figure out it was really ASUS A8M2N-LA (you can't tell
it's numbers at all) ..."

If not, can you help me find a close alternative mobo to replace this one?

I would recommend upgrading to an AMD dual-core or quad-core or
Intel quad-core 64-bit mobo. YPYM, YTYP.

Cheers!

jim b.

--
UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
expects users to be computer-friendly.
Old November 30th 08, 09:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Collon wrote:
compaq presario sr2017cl (sr2000 series) amd athlon64
mobo says asus abmzn-la (but nothing on Asus site or Google!)

Computer won't post. Took both rams out, computer/mobo won't beep. I think
even this pci-express mobo board should still beep if it is good mobo and
processor. Nothing wrong with psu, monitor, or ram . . . I've verified these
components work.

So.....if I can't find another mobo just like this one and I don't know how
to verify that the processor still works, can you help me find another
abmzn-la with processor that I can buy?

If not, can you help me find a close alternative mobo to replace this one?

Thanks!!!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...reg_R1002_USEN

Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: A8M2N-LA
HP/Compaq motherboard name: NodusM3-GL8E

(Motherboard picture)
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...reg_R1002_USEN

Try Ebay. Or alternately, the HP part store.

The HP part store shows a red "x" for a replacement motherboard for sr2017cl.

http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/?c...hpr_R1002_USEN

Asus OEM boards, at least recent ones, will not appear on the Asus
site. Neither does Asus provide support for them. There may have
been a couple boards, where an Asus retail board closely resembled
the HP OEM. In this case, the M2NPV-* boards (retail) aren't even close, so
would not be a substitute. Those boards are retail AM2 boards with
6150 chipset.

So right now, it looks like "Ebay roulette". Or put an entirely different
solution in the box (M2NPV or something better), buy a replacement OS CD,
and use that to make a computer for yourself. The HP recovery partition,
may not restore if a different motherboard is detected.

Paul
Old December 1st 08, 03:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Collon

Thank you both for helping.

Hey Paul, this is what I just bought:
ASUS M2NPV-VM (nVidia® NVIDIA GeForce 6150 + nForce 430 chipset)

Paul, would you know for sure what processor I can buy on Newegg.com? I'm
certain I don't have dual core now, but the other two options on this mobo I
just ordered are Athlon 64 FX and Athlon 64 Sempron. I don't have a clue
what the difference is and suspect I wouldn't even notice.

Also, am I gonna need that cpu glue for the new processor on the board?
Can't I just put it in and screw everything back without the glue?

Thanks again!

Old December 1st 08, 04:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
kony

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 20:24:49 -0600, "Collon"
wrote:

Thank you both for helping.

Hey Paul, this is what I just bought:
ASUS M2NPV-VM (nVidia® NVIDIA GeForce 6150 + nForce 430 chipset)

Paul, would you know for sure what processor I can buy on Newegg.com? I'm
certain I don't have dual core now, but the other two options on this mobo I
just ordered are Athlon 64 FX and Athlon 64 Sempron. I don't have a clue
what the difference is and suspect I wouldn't even notice.

Also, am I gonna need that cpu glue for the new processor on the board?
Can't I just put it in and screw everything back without the glue?

Thanks again!

Unless you buy another HP/Compaq motherboard (and even then)
you may find that windows needs reactivated, or that you
have to reinstall it and call in to MS to get an activation
code.

There have been numerous products with nVidia integrated
video failing. Most of them are laptops due to laptops
typically having more power cycles and reaching higher
temperatures, but the same underlying problem why they ended
up dead due to the thermal cycles and heat is present on
your old motherboard, and may also be present on a "new"
motherboard with the 6150 chipset if that chipset wasn't
manufactured after July or August of this year.

The markings look somewhat like the following, line by line
except "n" is a character that changes, it's the second
field in the second line you would take the date code from:

NVIDIA
nnnnnnnn 0820nn
S Taiwan
nnnnnn.nn
NF-G6150-N-nn

In the above example the date is the twentieth week of 2008,
before nVidia changed their manufacturing to (hopefully)
remove a defect in the solder and packaging.

Since I doubt most motherboards with 6150 chipset have the
new chips, I would recommend a different board which may
allow different processors. If you buy a retail boxed
processor that comes with a heatsink/fan, it will have a
preapplied thermal pad that you can use. If you buy an OEM
bare processor it will need heatsink grease applied before
installing the heatsink. By heatsink grease I am referring
to what you called "cpu glue".

I mention the date because the chip has a date code laser
engraved onto it's surface, so if it is not a more recent
vintage I recommend returning the motherboard and getting
something without an nVidia integrated video chipset (even
if you plan to install a video card into the system).
Old December 1st 08, 06:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Collon wrote:
Thank you both for helping.

Hey Paul, this is what I just bought:
ASUS M2NPV-VM (nVidia® NVIDIA GeForce 6150 + nForce 430 chipset)

Paul, would you know for sure what processor I can buy on Newegg.com? I'm
certain I don't have dual core now, but the other two options on this mobo I
just ordered are Athlon 64 FX and Athlon 64 Sempron. I don't have a clue
what the difference is and suspect I wouldn't even notice.

Also, am I gonna need that cpu glue for the new processor on the board?
Can't I just put it in and screw everything back without the glue?

Thanks again!

I realize you're in a rush to restore the computer, but as Kony
has just pointed out, everything has some kind of issue. And
research before you purchase is the key to success.

For example, you can research the supported CPUs that would fit
in the board. If the two motherboards use the same CPU socket,
then you may be able to reuse the old CPU. Or purchase a better
processor, according to your needs. (The old CPU, if it is still
working, might even come in handy for flashing the BIOS on the
new board, if it comes to that.)

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...model=M2NPV-VM

This processor is 65W and is a dual core running at 2.9GHz (5600+).
I picked 65 watts, because that should not stress the Vcore
regulator at all.

For review comments on that motherboard, you can look here.

(M2NPV-VM mobo discontinued, but comments are still available and valid.)

(The Asus forums can be slow at times, so be patient. 886 threads.)
http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx...Language=en-us

There are a lot of other boards you could look at, some of which
are quite complicated in terms of feature set. But at the
rate you're buying stuff, I doubt I could finish a
review in time, to suggest something else :-)

Paul
Old December 2nd 08, 01:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Collon

Paul and Kony,

The company called me at 3pm today to tell me they no longer had any of
those motherboards, so my order never went through. I can't find another one
on the Net. The reason I was trying to find something similar is because I
want to be able to hook everything back up just like it was and because I
still want the ram to work. Also, it very well could be that the cpu in the
old one still works fine, so I might not even need a new processor.

I am thankful Kony mentioned that integrated video. Two weeks before my comp
stopped posting, I got that infamous "No Signal" on the monitor. So I got a
new monitor, and the comp worked for about a day. I never had it on again
after that until the day I turned it on and the comp wouldn't post. So I
guess it could be the integrated video. Now I am wondering if I should just
by a pci video card to put in it to try?

Old December 2nd 08, 02:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Collon wrote:
[...]

The BIOS sequence would normally be checking for
RAM, before it checks for video. When the processor
first starts, the RAM is not set up, and all there
is, is the CPU and the BIOS chip. By reading BIOS code
and using processor temporary registers, eventually
the processor gets around to setting up the memory
controller. Once memory is available, then more
complicated codes can be run, and the rest of the
hardware (including video) can be started.

If you remove RAM, and you hear "beeps" coming from
the computer speaker, then you know the processor
is alive. At that point, it might make sense to
put the RAM back, add a PCI card, and try again.

If it won't beep, when the RAM is pulled (with the
power off), then there isn't much point in considering
the PCI video card.

If, on the other hand, the signs are encouraging, then
you might consider a PCI video card. I'm assuming you'd
be buying this new - if it is in your junk pile already,
by all means give it a try.

Paul
Old December 2nd 08, 06:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
kony

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 20:58:47 -0500, Paul
wrote:

Collon wrote:
[...]

That's not necessarily the case because 6150 isn't just
video, it's the northbridge. Without the northbridge you
may not get to the point of beeps from lack of video... I
didn't when my 6150 based laptop failed.

Old December 3rd 08, 05:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Collon

Nice talking to you guys. You both made me think of things I've not thought
of before about the innards of comp.

There is no computer speaker on this comp (a8m2n-la mobo), so I won't hear
any beeps. In my original post I had asked if anyone knew if this particular
MOBO was supposed to beep when the ram was pulled out. But the ram isn't
bad, and there were no beeps.

So now I am too understand that if there are no beeps, I should supsect the
CPU more than the MOBO?

I need another mobo similar to the M2NPV-VM and that uses the basic Athlon
64 cpu, preferably from Newegg.com. I can send it back and pay the
restocking fee if it's not the mobo that is the problem.