Vista 64bit and Nvidia

Old October 1st 08, 06:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Timelord

Default Vista 64bit and Nvidia

Sorry if this has already been a topic before but why is it that Vista
64bit, on my system anyway is and Nvidia drivers sometimes cause my system
to crash.
In control panel the system reports and solutions Nvidia graphics driver is
mentioned in there. I have the very latest updates installed throughout my
pc but i find this a little annoying.
My card is an MSI 9800GX2.

Perhaps i should have considered an ATI card when building my system as the
4870HD X2 is around the same price and my mobo is designed around crossfire
and not SLi.
Here are my system specs if this helps..............

Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5ghz Processor
8 gig of OCZ Reaper X DDR3 PC10666 1333mhz RAM
Gigabyte GA X48T DQ6 motherboard
Coolermaster Realpower 1250watt PSU
MSI N9800GX2 Graphics card.

Thanks All.

Old October 2nd 08, 12:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Jim Beard[_2_]

timelord wrote:
Sorry if this has already been a topic before but why is it that Vista
64bit, on my system anyway is and Nvidia drivers sometimes cause my
system to crash.

Micro$loth traditon.

Cheers!

jim b.

--
UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
expects users to be computer-friendly.
Old October 2nd 08, 06:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Jim Beard:

Sorry if this has already been a topic before but why is it that Vista
64bit, on my system anyway is and Nvidia drivers sometimes cause my
system to crash.

Micro$loth traditon.

What a stupid answer. In short: you don't know ****!

Benjamin
Old October 2nd 08, 06:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* timelord:
Sorry if this has already been a topic before but why is it that Vista
64bit, on my system anyway is and Nvidia drivers sometimes cause my
system to crash.

Maybe because there obviously is something wrong with your hardware?

In control panel the system reports and solutions Nvidia graphics driver
is mentioned in there. I have the very latest updates installed
throughout my pc but i find this a little annoying.
My card is an MSI 9800GX2.

Perhaps i should have considered an ATI card when building my system as
the 4870HD X2 is around the same price and my mobo is designed around
crossfire and not SLi.

If something is wrong with your hardware choosing ATI over Nvidia won't
help you, the only thing that solves your problem is to find out *wha*
really causes the problem.

Have you checked memory (i.e. operating the system with a single module,
and if it crashes again, testing with another module)? Have you tried
with a different gfx card? Is the memory you use in the list of
supported memory modules for your mobo?

Benjamin
Old October 2nd 08, 10:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

Sorry if this has already been a topic before but why is it that Vista
64bit, on my system anyway is and Nvidia drivers sometimes cause my
system to crash.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5ghz Processor
8 gig of OCZ Reaper X DDR3 PC10666 1333mhz RAM
Gigabyte GA X48T DQ6 motherboard
Coolermaster Realpower 1250watt PSU
MSI N9800GX2 Graphics card.

All hi-end stuff.... how exciting!

Could it be as simple as a heat problem? Try open the case while playing
games and see if the PC would crash again.

Also you might consider using older version driver. Remember to
un-install the old version first.

Did you apply SP1 to your 64-bit Vi$ta?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.5
Old October 2nd 08, 12:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

timelord wrote:
[...]

When I got problems, I like to strip out excess hardware
and do some tests. What happens, if you remove some of the
RAM from that machine ? For example, running with 2GB,
should be plenty for good ole Vista to run a game or two.

Paul
Old October 2nd 08, 03:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Robert Miles

"Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote in message
Sorry if this has already been a topic before but why is it that Vista
64bit, on my system anyway is and Nvidia drivers sometimes cause my
system to crash.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5ghz Processor
8 gig of OCZ Reaper X DDR3 PC10666 1333mhz RAM
Gigabyte GA X48T DQ6 motherboard
Coolermaster Realpower 1250watt PSU
MSI N9800GX2 Graphics card.

All hi-end stuff.... how exciting!

Could it be as simple as a heat problem? Try open the case while playing
games and see if the PC would crash again.

You might also to check if this program can read any thermometers built
into that hardwa

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Old October 3rd 08, 02:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Jim Beard[_2_]

Benjamin Gawert wrote:
* Jim Beard:

Sorry if this has already been a topic before but why is it that
Vista 64bit, on my system anyway is and Nvidia drivers sometimes
cause my system to crash.

Micro$loth traditon.

What a stupid answer. In short: you don't know ****!

In one sense, exactly correct. I don't know Micro$loth,
at least in its Vista incarnation. I do have some familiarity
with earlier versions, due to no fault of my own.

But I do know it's tradition, and your complaint seem quite
consistant with that.

Cheers!

jim b.

Old October 3rd 08, 04:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Jim Beard:

Sorry if this has already been a topic before but why is it that
Vista 64bit, on my system anyway is and Nvidia drivers sometimes
cause my system to crash.

Micro$loth traditon.

What a stupid answer. In short: you don't know ****!

In one sense, exactly correct. I don't know Micro$loth,
at least in its Vista incarnation.

As I said: you don't know ****!

I do have some familiarity
with earlier versions

Here are some news for you: Windows95 is dead, and there are in fact
some small differences to modern versions of Windows.

, due to no fault of my own.

Yeah, right. Of course all your computing problems belong to Microsoft.

But I do know it's tradition, and your complaint seem quite consistant
with that.

No, you know nothing! I'm not sure where you come from (maybe you're
just another one of the annoying Linux freetards) but you obviously have
no clue about Windows. But it's ok, you're not the first one who blames
problems caused by crap hardware, crap drivers or personal incompetence
to the operating system. And who cares for facts like Windows running
flawlessly on millions of computers from small Office PCs up to huge
Enterprise servers. Of course your intention never was to help the OP to
solve his problem, you just needed another chance for some stupid rant.

Get a life!

Benjamin
Old October 3rd 08, 11:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John E[_2_]

"timelord" wrote in message
[...]

I had a similar problem with a completely repeatable crash of the Nvidia
driver whenever I ran two particular programs at once. I had tried a series
of both WHQL drivers and beta drivers, but nothing fixed it. Then a month or
so back, I reinstalled Vista Ultimate 64 and used the old driver from
Microsoft which Vista automatically installs, and voila, no more crashes
(there were other issues with that driver, but they didn't matter too much
to me, as I don't play many games). This week I installed the latest WHQL
driver, but first uninstalled the previous driver (which isn't required when
installing Nvidia drivers). It is possible that old drivers interfere with
later ones. So far, my system is still stable with no crashes.

However, there may be other reasons for your problem. You will find loads of
information he
http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21 from people with similar
issues. In particular look at the thread "Vista: "Display Driver nvlddmkm
stopped responding, has successfully recovered".

From what I've read elsewhere, you may well see similar problems with an ATI
card.

John