Comcast Dropping Usenet

Old September 20th 08, 09:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
nospam

Default Comcast Dropping Usenet

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I guess to make bandwidth available for their crappy digital phone
service.

It's Comcastic!

Old September 20th 08, 11:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
gamefixer

On Sep 20, 3:40*pm, "nospam" wrote:
http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I guess to make bandwidth available for their crappy digital phone
service.

It's Comcastic!

Penny pinching aholes. More reason to subscribe to a real news
provider or use google.

Matt
Old September 21st 08, 05:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tony DiMarzio

"nospam" wrote in message
. ..
http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I guess to make bandwidth available for their crappy digital phone
service.

It's Comcastic!

I hope there's a community backlash. Comcast charges way too much to be
cutting back features and leaving prices unchanged.

Any good, free newsgroup services?

Tony

Old September 21st 08, 05:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Jim Beard[_2_]

Tony DiMarzio wrote:
"nospam" wrote in message
. ..
http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I guess to make bandwidth available for their crappy digital phone
service.

It's Comcastic!

I hope there's a community backlash. Comcast charges way too much to be
cutting back features and leaving prices unchanged.

Any good, free newsgroup services?

Yes, as well as some that provide superior service at modest cost.

Verizon eliminated all Newsgroups other than the Big 8 some time ago,
and other have been doing similar things.

http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

No cheers for those abandoning service to their Usenet users.

jim b.

--
UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
expects users to be computer-friendly.
Old September 21st 08, 06:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Kent_Diego[_2_]

... Any good, free newsgroup services?

My suggestion is to get a block account. $10 for 25GB should last many years
if you only use text and a few binaries. Astraweb does not count header
downloads. I got 90 GB (now 110 GB) for $25 several years ago and it is
still going strong.
http://www.news.astraweb.com/
Its the best deal for USENET access.

Old September 22nd 08, 12:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
ShadowTek[_3_]

"Tony DiMarzio" wrote in news:nO6dnbA0O-
:

Any good, free newsgroup services?

This is the one that I'm currently using:
http://news.motzarella.org/
Old September 22nd 08, 02:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tony DiMarzio

"ShadowTek" wrote in message
.236...
"Tony DiMarzio" wrote in news:nO6dnbA0O-
:

Any good, free newsgroup services?

This is the one that I'm currently using:
http://news.motzarella.org/

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Tony

Old September 28th 08, 02:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tony DiMarzio

"Adam" wrote in message

"nospam" wrote in message
. ..
http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I guess to make bandwidth available for their crappy digital phone
service.

It's Comcastic!

Bye-Bye Comcast

Do you have a viable alternative ISP in your area? Keep in mind that FIOS
dropped USENET some time ago -
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r206...o-block-USENET

Tony

Old September 29th 08, 01:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
W????n S.

"nospam" wrote in message
. ..
http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I guess to make bandwidth available for their crappy digital phone
service.

It's Comcastic!

A chat I had with the big C.

Problem: Why is usenet being discontinued?
End Session
user Warren_ has entered room
warren(Sun Sep 28 19:46:41 PDT 2008)
Why is usenet being discontinued?

analyst Matthew has entered room
Matthew(Sun Sep 28 19:46:48 PDT 2008)
Hello Warren_, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name
is Matthew. Please give me one moment to review your information.
Matthew(Sun Sep 28 19:47:06 PDT 2008)
I would be happy to answer that
Warren_(Sun Sep 28 16:47:30 PDT 2008)
Is the answer going to make me happy?
Matthew(Sun Sep 28 19:48:07 PDT 2008)
This decision is in alignment with other ISP's that have recently terminated
their Newsgroups service due to the declining popularity of Newsgroups as
customers chose other methods, such as RSS feeds and web browsing to access
information.
Warren_(Sun Sep 28 16:49:02 PDT 2008)
So, since it was or is a service that I am currently paying for I should
expect a decrease in my bill?
Matthew(Sun Sep 28 19:49:48 PDT 2008)
That is not correct, you have never paid for that service.
Matthew(Sun Sep 28 19:50:06 PDT 2008)
You do not pay for e-mail, or McAfee, or any of the features on Comcast.net.
Matthew(Sun Sep 28 19:50:13 PDT 2008)
All you are being charged for is internet access.
Matthew(Sun Sep 28 19:50:31 PDT 2008)
All those features are free to all customers/
Warren_(Sun Sep 28 16:52:23 PDT 2008)
It is still an option that Comcast is discontinuing with no reduction in
charges. Mcafee is usless and can be DL'd anywhere. There are other clients
for services as well. I will have to evalutate the status of my account I
guess.
Warren_(Sun Sep 28 16:53:00 PDT 2008)
Is this to make more bandwidth for digital voice?
Warren_(Sun Sep 28 16:53:16 PDT 2008)
digital TV etc etc
Matthew(Sun Sep 28 19:54:02 PDT 2008)
It was a free gift. That is why the bill is not being lowered. No the
Newsgroups are not being removed for bandwidth reasons. It is as said,
because of declining popularity.
Warren_(Sun Sep 28 16:54:35 PDT 2008)
I would like to see the data on that
Warren_(Sun Sep 28 16:55:13 PDT 2008)
please provide a link
Matthew(Sun Sep 28 19:55:16 PDT 2008)
You mean the data that shows the popularity has decreased?
Warren_(Sun Sep 28 16:55:24 PDT 2008)
yes
Matthew(Sun Sep 28 19:57:11 PDT 2008)
I do not have access to a release of that data. The management of this
company has not made a public link to that data, unfortunately.
Warren_(Sun Sep 28 16:57:27 PDT 2008)
lol
Warren_(Sun Sep 28 16:57:54 PDT 2008)
It would seem that it is not a good economic time to **** off customers.
Warren_(Sun Sep 28 16:58:16 PDT 2008)
so be it.
Matthew(Sun Sep 28 19:58:36 PDT 2008)
As indicated, this is something most ISPs are removing access to.
Warren_(Sun Sep 28 16:59:42 PDT 2008)
Well I guess I will use news.motzarella.org and downgrade again on my
comcast bandwidth.
Warren_(Sun Sep 28 16:59:51 PDT 2008)
sad
Warren_(Sun Sep 28 17:00:03 PDT 2008)