need AGP video card recommendation for older system - please help

Old October 23rd 12, 03:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Buffalo[_2_]

Default need AGP video card recommendation for older system - please help

Adam wrote:
"Buffalo" wrote in message

Adam wrote:
"Rene" wrote in message ...
On 10/20/2012 07:48 AM, Paul wrote:
Adam wrote:
Looking for a quality but cheap AGP video card (off eBay) to
replace ...

- ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR 256Bit AGP Video Card

This is for an old Asus A7V133 system.

Any recommendations?

Since it's Ebay, you could go for a 7600 GT AGP.

On Ebay there are also several 7950 GT cards which are nice as
well, that may be an option too.

Good luck!

Greetings,
Rene

Thanks (Rene), will keep that in mind.

What OS are you running?
Buffalo

Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Guest OS: Windows XP Pro SP3

Why?

Mainly because some of the better APG vid cards won't properly run on an OS
below XP.
So, I was just checking.
Buffalo

Old October 23rd 12, 04:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Adam

"Buffalo" wrote in message

Adam wrote:
"Buffalo" wrote in message

Adam wrote:
[...]

Thanks for checking. I'm thinking about
not investing more (unless it's dirt cheap) into
that old system and focusing on the new build now.

Old November 12th 12, 04:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Robert Miles[_2_]

On 10/20/2012 10:57 PM, Adam wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
Adam wrote:

Okay, let me see if I can get someone to do a similar soldering solution.
If not, it may be better to swap out this AGP video card.
The video defects are definitely coming from this AGP video card,
which now has a heatsink part attached (since the fan failed).
The video defects disappear when another PCI video card is swapped in.

If you already had a fan failure on the video card (the fan
was not spinning for some period of time), the GPU could
already have overheated. Fitting another fan or cooler, if
the abusive situation lasted long enough, isn't going to fix
it. The chip could be damaged.

Paul

If fan failures are still common these days,
what's the best preventative measure to take with new video cards?
Keep the case open and aim an external fan at the video card?
I ask because I'm about to put together a new build and
I don't want fan failure to damage another video card.

Something that helps is to choose a model of video card where
the hot air from the card is exhausted outside the computer's
case rather than inside it. This keeps the insides of the
computer cooler, and therefore allows more time to detect the
problem.

Some computers (such as my laptop) now have a device for measuring
the temperature of the CPU and also one for the graphics chip, and
will quickly shut down the computer if either reaches a certain
limit (100 C on my laptop, and apparently not settable).