Networx Connectix Switch

Old June 10th 17, 06:25 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.comp.hardware
Adrian Caspersz

Default Networx Connectix Switch

Hi folks,

A long shot if anyone has come across these? Must be popular commercially.

I've picked up a 24 port Gigabit switch, something called a "24+2G-Port
Web-SMART Gigabit Ethernet Switch" Model 010-100-201-24

Made by Connectix, branded Networx.

It looks like this,
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/9osAAO...pm/s-l1600.jpg

I'm looking to set up the Web-SMART VLAN stuff.

It works OK as a dumb switch but I've sniffed subnets and found no
management IP port address, and now I understand it needs a utility for
that.

The Essex based distributor (http://www.connectixcablingsystems.com/)
has been absolutely no help (I'm not a customer, so goodbye...) and the
US company (that is up with Netgear, D-link, TP-link - but not HP/Cisco)
doesn't seem to think the value of putting any support information up on
line. Just sales brochures.

Which in these enlightened times of "I know a web address to support
that!" is pretty weird...

--
Adrian C
Old June 10th 17, 08:35 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.comp.hardware
Rob Morley

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 18:25:04 +0100
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Hi folks,

A long shot if anyone has come across these? Must be popular
commercially.

I've picked up a 24 port Gigabit switch, something called a
"24+2G-Port Web-SMART Gigabit Ethernet Switch" Model 010-100-201-24

snip
Which in these enlightened times of "I know a web address to support
that!" is pretty weird...

Is "web smart" something of a standard? There are various similarly
specified devices from other suppliers which use "web smart" management
utilities of some sort.

Old June 11th 17, 03:16 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.comp.hardware
Theo

In uk.comp.homebuilt Rob Morley wrote:
Is "web smart" something of a standard? There are various similarly
specified devices from other suppliers which use "web smart" management
utilities of some sort.

I doubt it. I think it's code for 'we put whatever cheap and nasty web
interface we could cook up onto it, don't think it's a proper managed switch'.

However I suspect this particular example is a rebadge of somebody else. I
would guess many of these bottom-end switches use similar chips, so it might
be possible to work out who else makes the same hardware.

Take the lid off and have a look?

Theo
Old June 11th 17, 03:35 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Theo wrote:
In uk.comp.homebuilt Rob Morley wrote:
Is "web smart" something of a standard? There are various similarly
specified devices from other suppliers which use "web smart" management
utilities of some sort.

I doubt it. I think it's code for 'we put whatever cheap and nasty web
interface we could cook up onto it, don't think it's a proper managed switch'.

However I suspect this particular example is a rebadge of somebody else. I
would guess many of these bottom-end switches use similar chips, so it might
be possible to work out who else makes the same hardware.

Take the lid off and have a look?

Theo

"The difference between unmanaged, managed, and Web-smart switches"

https://www.blackbox.com/en-us/produ...smart-switches

So there does appear to be such an option, as the "third choice".

What that article didn't bother to mention, is whether the function
is only visible on certain ports or on all ports. And whether there's
a reset button, to blow away the password.

*******

Even if you cannot get a manual, a similar product manual can give you ideas.

They connect a laptop to a LAN port, to configure this one. PDF page 23.

ftp://ftp.dlink.ca/PRODUCTS/DGS-1210...AL_4.70_WW.pdf

"The switch's factory default IP address is 10.90.90.90
with a subnet mask of 255.0.0.0 and a default gateway of 0.0.0.0."

"By default, the password is admin"

And that one has a Reset button.

Paul
Old June 11th 17, 08:58 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.comp.hardware
Theo

In uk.comp.homebuilt Paul wrote:
"The difference between unmanaged, managed, and Web-smart switches"

https://www.blackbox.com/en-us/produ...smart-switches

So there does appear to be such an option, as the "third choice".

What that article didn't bother to mention, is whether the function
is only visible on certain ports or on all ports. And whether there's
a reset button, to blow away the password.

The article isn't saying there's a standard, it's just agreeing with the
basic definition I gave - a 'web smart' switch is a switch with some degree
of management via a web interface but doesn't support SNMP like a
traditional managed switch. It's like a home router with a web interface
(which are all different) as compared to a Cisco box.

It doesn't tell us anything about how to configure a particuly brand of
switch, which was the OP's question.

I'm familiar with the TP-Link 'Easy Smart' which are so cheap they don't
even have a web interface - you have to run a Java app to send raw
configuration packets to them. Their slightly more expensive switches have
a web interface, which is slightly more functional than the Java app but on
par with the cheapest router. (The Java app can also manage multiple
switches at once, which the web interface can't)

That said, they're cheap enough that they aren't a bad upgrade from an
unmanaged switch if any of the 'smart' features (VLANs, aggregation, port
control) are useful to you. Just I wouldn't bank on them being any more
secure than an unmanaged switch (with a router you can replace the firmware
with dd-wrt, OpenWRT, etc - I haven't seen replacement firmware for these
switches).

Even if you cannot get a manual, a similar product manual can give you ideas.

They connect a laptop to a LAN port, to configure this one. PDF page 23.

ftp://ftp.dlink.ca/PRODUCTS/DGS-1210...AL_4.70_WW.pdf

"The switch's factory default IP address is 10.90.90.90
with a subnet mask of 255.0.0.0 and a default gateway of 0.0.0.0."

"By default, the password is admin"

And that one has a Reset button.

You can reset it and try all the common addresses, I agree. Though
10.90.90.90 would be one I'd never think of.

Is there nothing printed on the outside?

You could also try running a packet sniffer on a port and see if there's any
backscatter traffic that might reveal the subnet.

Theo
Old June 11th 17, 09:23 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.comp.hardware
Chris Green

Theo wrote:

I'm familiar with the TP-Link 'Easy Smart' which are so cheap they don't
even have a web interface - you have to run a Java app to send raw
configuration packets to them.

No longer true, they have a Web GUI as well now. I just bought at
TL-SG108E (one of the two cheapest) and I'm using it from Linux via
the web GUI quite happily.

--
Chris Green
·
Old June 11th 17, 09:38 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.comp.hardware
Adrian Caspersz

Default Networx Connectix Switch (solved)

On 11/06/17 15:35, Paul wrote:

They connect a laptop to a LAN port, to configure this one. PDF page 23.

ftp://ftp.dlink.ca/PRODUCTS/DGS-1210...AL_4.70_WW.pdf

"The switch's factory default IP address is 10.90.90.90
with a subnet mask of 255.0.0.0 and a default gateway of 0.0.0.0."

"By default, the password is admin"

And that one has a Reset button.

Paul

Thanks all,

Good news. Found my way in

Found a UL number on the back, which through the UL site identified some
model numbers.
http://productspec.ul.com/document.php?id=NWGQ.E159561

DES-1228, WEB-GSW7424TG, ALL4702W

DES-1228 looks to be a D-Link
WEB-GSW7424TG some Cameo model (the OEM/ODM)
ALL4702W - is something from Allnet.de

All have differing locations of ports, but the last matched the same
font printing on my box so gave that a spin, found the utility, and as
they say "I'm in like Flynn"....

The IP address, was 192.168.184.227
The password, ad*** well, it's a standard isn't it :-)

--
Adrian C
Old June 12th 17, 08:29 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.comp.hardware
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Theo theom+news
@chiark.greenend.org.uk escribió:

However I suspect this particular example is a rebadge of somebody else

I agree. I think eBay 152568059930 might be the same thing.

"web smart switch"

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Old June 12th 17, 09:40 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.comp.hardware
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Theo theom+news
@chiark.greenend.org.uk escribió:

I'm familiar with the TP-Link 'Easy Smart' which are so cheap they don't
even have a web interface - you have to run a Java app to send raw
configuration packets to them

Yuck!

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Old June 12th 17, 10:21 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.comp.hardware
Chris Green

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Theo theom+news
@chiark.greenend.org.uk escribió:

I'm familiar with the TP-Link 'Easy Smart' which are so cheap they don't
even have a web interface - you have to run a Java app to send raw
configuration packets to them

Yuck!

As I said before this is no longer true, even the cheapest TP-Link
Easy Smart switches now have a Web GUI and can be easily configured
from Linux or whatever.

--
Chris Green
·