Does more memory require a more powerful fan?

Old January 26th 17, 10:17 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
micky

Default Does more memory require a more powerful fan?

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Thu, 26 Jan 2017 05:11:02 -0500, Paul
wrote:

micky wrote:

Ha! But I've got Intel.

AMD = Cool N' Quiet
Intel = Enhanced Intel SpeedStep (EIST)

I thought EI stood for Enhanced Interrogation.

These show in many retail motherboards.

Paul

Old January 26th 17, 10:42 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
micky

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Thu, 26 Jan 2017 10:11:45 -0700, Ken Blake
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 22:39:06 -0500, micky
wrote:

As to the grill dust, I got rid of that by putting my mouth up to it and
blowing . It took about 5 times to get each section. Since I can't

Important to remember to inhale before putting your mouth up to the
target.

use a vacuum cleaner, I may use either the solder sucker bulb or my
mouth to blow the stuff away. Sure a little will resettle in the
computer but only 2 or 3 percent.

You might want to buy and use a can of compressed air. They are
inexpensive.

Yesterday it occurred to me that I had one**. But by the time I wrote
the above, a couple hours later, I'd forgotten about it again. I was
in the basement today but I forgot to look at it. (I know exactly where
it would be.)

**If I have the can of air, it's 10 years old or more. Does air go bad?
:-) It might leak out, but I had an aerosol can of Edge shaving gel
that I got for free when I took a tour of the Johnson Wax factory in
Racine, Wisc. in 1970, and that can was still working 30 years later.
..... I just looked. It's gone. It must have stopped working some time
after 30 years. I never liked gel so I never used it, and much of the
time I had a beard.

And I just looked in the basement, and I can't find the air, or the
other cans that were all in a row on my workbench. I needed space when
I started trying to repair a PC there, but I couldn't find it anywhere
else either. OKay, I'll buy some, and I'll give away the extra cans.

Old January 26th 17, 11:03 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Gene Wirchenko wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_duster

"Air on the contrary, cannot be compressed into liquid at any
pressure since the critical temperatures of air components
(-146.9 C for nitrogen; -118.6 C for oxygen) are much beyond
normal handling temperatures.

What do divers breathe then?

[snip]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

The air in their tanks is compressed, but it is not a liquid.
As a result, the tanks don't hold very much.

If you can fill a tank with a liquid form, it can expand to
quite a few liters of gas. The critical temperature decides
whether that is possible or not. There is a table here, showing
the gases that are easy to do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critic...rmodynamics%29

"Cagniard showed that CO2 could be liquefied
at 31C at a pressure of 73 atm, but not at
a slightly higher temperature, even under
pressures as high as 3,000 atm."

When divers go to more extreme depths, the tanks also
include Helium. The third link below includes quite a bit
of detail, including a list of unfortunate accidents
(people dying trying to set records).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliox

"Heliox is also used in saturation diving"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturation_diving

...the risk of decompression sickness ("the bends")

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimix...eathing_gas%29

"The helium is included as a substitute for some of
the nitrogen, to reduce the narcotic effect of the
breathing gas at depth."

When a diver does cavern diving, they can become disoriented
and never make it back to the surface. And that's just from
breathing what is in the tank, and not the surroundings.
What can be especially bad, is if one diver freaks out
and attacks another diver trying to return him to the surface.

For some reason, the idea of diving never attracted me.
Too many stories. Too many details to remember. Diving to the
bottom of the pool at the YMCA was enough challenge for me :-)

Paul
Old January 27th 17, 01:10 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
micky

On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 22:39:06 -0500, micky
wrote:

As to the grill dust,o I got rid of that by putting my mouth up to it and
blowing . It took about 5 times to get each section. Since I can't

It took about 5 times total. About one time per section.

Old January 27th 17, 01:17 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Mayayana

"Paul" wrote

| Duster gases are such as 1,1-difluoroethane, 1,1,1-trifluoroethane,
| or 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane. Hydrocarbons, like butane, were
| often used in the past, but their flammable nature forced
| manufacturers to use fluorocarbons.
|
| When inhaled, gas duster fumes may produce psychoactive effects
| and may be harmful to health."

Interesting point. Compressed air has always seemed
like hype to me. There's no problem vacuuming as long
as one doesn't touch the components. I've done it many
times with no problems.

Old January 27th 17, 07:41 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
micky

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Thu, 26 Jan 2017 19:17:11 -0500,
"Mayayana" wrote:

"Paul" wrote

| Duster gases are such as 1,1-difluoroethane, 1,1,1-trifluoroethane,
| or 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane. Hydrocarbons, like butane, were
| often used in the past, but their flammable nature forced
| manufacturers to use fluorocarbons.
|
| When inhaled, gas duster fumes may produce psychoactive effects
| and may be harmful to health."

Dang. Right now on the radio, the Beatles are singing "I get high". I
otoh have never in my life been high.

Interesting point. Compressed air has always seemed
like hype to me. There's no problem vacuuming as long
as one doesn't touch the components. I've done it many
times with no problems.

Assuming I was willing to do this, I have an upright with a hose, I have
a small shop-vac, and I'm sure that somewhere I have a little one meant
to vacuum the car. And I have a cannister kind, the main kind other
than upright. This one will blow as well as suck. Which ones would
you be willing to use? Seems to me I can regulate both the sucking
and the blowing by taping some cardboard over the tube's end.

I did put some air in my basket. Two days ago there was 4 cans of
Falcon Dust-off for 12.50, the same price as for 2 cans!, but i wasn't
quick enough, and they're up to 20 dollars now, so it's one can for me.
But I have to put together $49 and I'm 74c short. Last time I was 10
cents short. Definitely running out of things to buy. I can't buy
the air somewhere else because then I'll be 8 dollars and 74 cents
short.

Old January 27th 17, 12:10 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

"Mayayana" wrote:

"Paul" wrote

| Duster gases are such as 1,1-difluoroethane, 1,1,1-trifluoroethane,
| or 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane. Hydrocarbons, like butane, were
| often used in the past, but their flammable nature forced
| manufacturers to use fluorocarbons.
|
| When inhaled, gas duster fumes may produce psychoactive effects
| and may be harmful to health."

Dang. Right now on the radio, the Beatles are singing "I get high". I
otoh have never in my life been high.

Interesting point. Compressed air has always seemed
like hype to me. There's no problem vacuuming as long
as one doesn't touch the components. I've done it many
times with no problems.

Assuming I was willing to do this, I have an upright with a hose, I have
a small shop-vac, and I'm sure that somewhere I have a little one meant
to vacuum the car. And I have a cannister kind, the main kind other
than upright. This one will blow as well as suck. Which ones would
you be willing to use? Seems to me I can regulate both the sucking
and the blowing by taping some cardboard over the tube's end.

I did put some air in my basket. Two days ago there was 4 cans of
Falcon Dust-off for 12.50, the same price as for 2 cans!, but i wasn't
quick enough, and they're up to 20 dollars now, so it's one can for me.
But I have to put together $49 and I'm 74c short. Last time I was 10
cents short. Definitely running out of things to buy. I can't buy
the air somewhere else because then I'll be 8 dollars and 74 cents
short.

I was given one of these as a gift, and it fits onto a hoover vacuum tube fitting.

https://www.amazon.ca/Micro-Vacuum-A.../dp/B000BSJCLY

I use that for cleaning the fins on a CPU heatsink, and not much more.
I don't vacuum out the whole PC with a thing like that, because it
would be too slow. The adapter has a circular ring for "breaking
the vacuum" and reducing the flow rate at the tip.

Now, that kit is an "acquired taste", and I really don't use all the
fittings on the end. The main hose and adapter are a good start.

I could just as easily, on the sink in question, remove the
fan and get most of the dust blockage with a rag, once it is
exposed. Using the vacuum allows getting most of it, without
disassembly.

I probably wouldn't have bought that, if it hadn't been given to
me, but it did fit the vacuum good, so no complaint there.

Paul
Old January 27th 17, 03:23 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Mayayana

"micky" wrote

| Dang. Right now on the radio, the Beatles are singing "I get high". I
| otoh have never in my life been high.

You might be surprised if you try to look
at your state of mind throughout the day.

| Assuming I was willing to do this, I have an upright with a hose, I have
| a small shop-vac, and I'm sure that somewhere I have a little one meant
| to vacuum the car. And I have a cannister kind, the main kind other
| than upright. This one will blow as well as suck. Which ones would
| you be willing to use?

I just use a normal house vacuum with a hose and
a narrow-point fitting, then hold it close to the dust
without touching. I'd be wary of blowing air at it. That's
going to move things around and create a dust cloud.
The canned air approach is really a misnomer. It's not
blowing air on the components. As Paul pointed out,
it's really washing the components with something that
will evaporate.

| Seems to me I can regulate both the sucking
| and the blowing by taping some cardboard over the tube's end.

Yes. That works, too.

Old January 27th 17, 03:46 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
PAS[_2_]

On 1/26/2017 7:17 PM, Mayayana wrote:
"Paul" wrote

| Duster gases are such as 1,1-difluoroethane, 1,1,1-trifluoroethane,
| or 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane. Hydrocarbons, like butane, were
| often used in the past, but their flammable nature forced
| manufacturers to use fluorocarbons.
|
| When inhaled, gas duster fumes may produce psychoactive effects
| and may be harmful to health."

Interesting point. Compressed air has always seemed
like hype to me. There's no problem vacuuming as long
as one doesn't touch the components. I've done it many
times with no problems.

My preferred method is to use both compressed air and the vacuum. With
my case ope, I run the vacuum and hold the hose up to the case. I use
the compressed air to blow out all the dust and it gets sucked into the
vacuum hose.
Old January 27th 17, 03:58 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 1/23/2017 9:48 AM, micky wrote:
Which is better, a small form factor PC running a 64bit version of 10
using 8Gigs RAM, or a full size case running a 32bit version with 4gigs?

Alternatively, I ordered 8gigs for my computer that had the bad memory**
Does that mean I need a bigger fan?
I don't thnk there is room in a SFF case for a second fan.

In general, it's always good to have better ventilation for all
electrical equipment that heats up itself during operation.

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3