wich one is better or faster?

Old June 16th 17, 11:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Cyberpoof

Default wich one is better or faster?

A Pentium dual core @ 2.2 ghz or a Pentium 4 @ 3.4 ghz...wich one should u
use for ur desktop?

Greetings

---

Old June 16th 17, 12:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Cyberpoof wrote:
A Pentium dual core @ 2.2 ghz or a Pentium 4 @ 3.4 ghz...wich one should
u use for ur desktop?

Greetings

Multithreaded benchmark

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

Single threaded benchmark

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

You will need the "model number" of each CPU, to get
the best results from those pages. There are actually
a number of Pentium 4 CPUs operating at 3.4GHz.

Paul

Old June 16th 17, 01:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Yrrah wrote:
"Cyberpoof" :

A Pentium dual core @ 2.2 ghz or a Pentium 4 @ 3.4 ghz...wich one should u
use for ur desktop?

Can you more specific?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...tel_processors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...icroprocessors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...icroprocessors

Games? Office? Multimedia? Video editing? Something else....?

Yrrah

Your link helped me narrow down at least one likely candidate.
The original question probably relates to some Joy Systems
refurbished off-lease machines. And the dual in that case
could be an E2200.

*******

On single threaded

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Intel Pentium E2200 @ 2.20GHz 798
Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 955 @ 3.46GHz 796

The IPC of the first processor, is about 1.5x the second
processor. Which is why the E2200 at 2.2GHz can do the
same amount of work as a P4 class processor at 3.46GHz.

That means the E2200 is like two Pentium 4 CPUs in a single socket.

On multi-threaded. the E2200 wins against its Hyperthreaded opponent.

Intel Pentium E2200 @ 2.20GHz 1203
Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 955 @ 3.46GHz 905

The E2200 will also support more OS possibilities and
meet more software requirements.

Where they differ, is it's possible for a Pentium 4 era CPU
to be better at floating point. But that's not normally
separately benchmarked for our enjoyment. So that remains
a research topic. The IPC factor of 1.5x applies to integer
code, and integer code dominates a lot of user activity
(but not all of it). As soon as a say that, somebody will only
run off and find some FPU-only code for me to test :-)

Paul
Old June 16th 17, 01:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Cyberpoof

hi, the dual core is a E2200 cpu and the Pentium4 is a 0f43 type with 64
bit-instruction set.
i use now the dual core with windows 10 and if i change it for the P4 would
windows 10 be faster or slower?
greetings

"Cyberpoof" schreef in bericht news

Old June 16th 17, 02:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Cyberpoof wrote:
hi, the dual core is a E2200 cpu and the Pentium4 is a 0f43 type with 64
bit-instruction set.
i use now the dual core with windows 10 and if i change it for the P4
would windows 10 be faster or slower?
greetings

As per other post, P4 is slightly slower.

The E2200 has 1.5x IPC of a P4, core for core.
And that's on integer code.

Continue to use your E2200.

*******

Intel processors aren't too sensitive on the amount
of cache. The only time I notice a difference, is when
comparing a 6MB cache to a 2MB cache and doing 7ZIP .7z
compression runs. The extra cache helps on those.
The E2200 has a puny cache, but I don't think that
really matters. The P4 can't really have a large cache
either (but that's a technology limit at the time).

Paul
Old June 16th 17, 06:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Cyberpoof

TYVM Paul...i stick with the e2200...i think its also a lot cooler than when
the p4 works.
Greetings