India called me today...

Old December 6th 03, 07:05 AM
Amos

Default India called me today...

Strange. I was having a video driver problem and was routed to India.
The first guy didn't have any idea what I was talking about, and sat on
the phone cluelees until I hung up on him. It took several more attempts
to reach them (The routing system disconnected me 3 times). I got
through to a tech who pointed me in the right direction for my particular
drivers.
Today, India-Dell called me at home! A thick-accented man kept asking me
"how did the lady tech from India do? Did she help you? Tell me more
about your experience with the lady..."
Since when is it policy for these people to bother me at home? Does this
constitute a complaint to the DO Not Call Registry? It made me
uncomfortable. I just told the guy that I have nothing to say about the
matter, and that I fixed the problem on my own. Please don't call
again..blah blah.
If this is their new policy, then someone's gonna get a letter!
Just venting a bit...and mighty curious. Have these calls gone out to
anyone else?
Thanks, amos

Old December 6th 03, 07:33 AM
Lawrence Glasser

Amos wrote:

[...]

It's not uncommon for companies to make follow-up phone calls, to check
as to whether, or not, your problems were resolved.

Kind of ignorant of you to assume that the Indian accent originated in
India.

Larry
Old December 6th 03, 08:03 AM
Irene

I guess you read something in that post that I did not.

How did you determine that "Amos" determined that the call was from
"India-Dell" solely based on the callers accent?

Old December 6th 03, 08:12 AM
Lawrence Glasser

Irene wrote:

I guess you read something in that post that I did not.

How did you determine that "Amos" determined that the call was from
"India-Dell" solely based on the callers accent?

If he determined it some other way, he neglected to include it
in his post.

Do you *try* to irritate people, or does it just come naturally?

Larry
Old December 6th 03, 12:02 PM
G. Mark Kelm

The DNC law only covers solicitors, that is, entities trying to sell you
something - ones that you don't have a previous business relationship with.

BTW, I'm from Minnesota and have a slight Scandinavian accent. Does that
mean I am from Norway/Sweden? Kind of ignorant to judge or fear someone
solely based on their accent.

You know, it really sucks when Dell tries to check on customer service. I'd
report them to the BBB, your states Attorney General, the FTC and for sure
get a Class Action started.

INMHO

Mark

Old December 6th 03, 03:13 PM
Christopher Muto

the do not call (dnc) registry only restricts callers trying to sell you
something. i now get "this is not a sales call, but rather an opportunity
to enter into out sweepstakes to win our product, do you want to hear about
our product and get a chance to win..." along with a barrage of non-profits
asking for money... unfortunately a complaint to dnc does not apply in this
case.

Old December 6th 03, 03:43 PM
Carol

"Amos" wrote in message
[...]

Others have correctly answered the DNC registry question. I think you
should be pleased that Dell or their outsourced company was concerned that
the support you got was so poor. The "tech" you spoke to might have been
having problems and they were just trying to determine the person's level of
competency or incompetency. I would have taken the opportunity to let them
know that she couldn't answer the question and that you had difficulty
connecting. That is why your calls are recorded for "quality purposes".
The caller was not trying to sell you something.
A dose of cynicism is a good thing but methinks you carried it a bit too
far.

Carol

Old December 6th 03, 03:56 PM
Tom Almy

Yep, there is a real irony in this. Most people complain here that Dell
doesn't call them and doesn't care at all about service. Then as soon as
Dell appears to be doing something positive, well, somebody complains!
More power to Dell!

Old December 6th 03, 04:10 PM
HillBillyBuddhist

"Amos" wrote in message
| Strange. I was having a video driver problem and was routed to India.
| The first guy didn't have any idea what I was talking about, and sat on
| the phone cluelees until I hung up on him. It took several more attempts
| to reach them (The routing system disconnected me 3 times). I got
| through to a tech who pointed me in the right direction for my particular
| drivers.
| Today, India-Dell called me at home! A thick-accented man kept asking me
| "how did the lady tech from India do? Did she help you? Tell me more
| about your experience with the lady..."
| Since when is it policy for these people to bother me at home? Does this
| constitute a complaint to the DO Not Call Registry? It made me
| uncomfortable. I just told the guy that I have nothing to say about the
| matter, and that I fixed the problem on my own. Please don't call
| again..blah blah.
| If this is their new policy, then someone's gonna get a letter!
| Just venting a bit...and mighty curious. Have these calls gone out to
| anyone else?
| Thanks, amos

Sounds like a follow-up call in an attempt to improve the outsourced tech
support that everybody is complaining so vehemently about.

I would much rather receive a follow-up call than have an unresolved (as far
as they know) problem ignored. Sounds like they're at least trying to
improve a bad situation.

Customer service must be very frustrating. If the service stinks you get
complaints. If you attempt to improve the service you get complaints.

The do not call registry? hmmm

Dear do not call people. I called my computer company with a technical
problem. They called me back to see if it was working now. Please make them
pay.... :-)

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details.

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Old December 6th 03, 04:13 PM
Irene

Then you just assumed that he concluded the call was from "India-Dell"
because he said the caller was "a thick accented man". And I'm the one
that's tries to "irritate people"?

Though he did not say it, is it not possible the caller identified himself,
as has all the Dell people that I have dealt with over the phone?

No, from your point of view I guess that is not possible.
Giving the guy the benefit of the doubt is not some thing this group of pro
Dell locals does very well.