A7N8x + win95 = IOS error/win protection error?????

Old June 24th 03, 08:09 PM
Gotwings

Default A7N8x + win95 = IOS error/win protection error?????

OK i have my new box which HAS to run 95 due to the dos environment it
provides. I can install the OS (win95). When i boot it provides
either an IOS error or Windows protection error.

I am stumped. I can load NT and run NT, but thats of no help to me.
Is there something in the bios I need to disable???

PLEEEEEEEEASE someone show me the light!!!!
Old June 25th 03, 10:16 AM
rstlne

Is this some kind of joke ?
If you want to run old software, then run it on old hardware !
Why on earth have you bought a cutting-edge nForce 2 board, for WINDOWS 95
?!?!?

Hi, Dont act like a moron, he posted his reason and it's a highly valid
one..

Old June 25th 03, 04:27 PM
Gotwings

"rstlne" wrote in message ...
Is this some kind of joke ?
If you want to run old software, then run it on old hardware !
Why on earth have you bought a cutting-edge nForce 2 board, for WINDOWS 95
?!?!?

Hi, Dont act like a moron, he posted his reason and it's a highly valid
one..

Thanks fer backing me up on this! Win 95is the ONLY WINDOWS OS that
gives me the 16 bit dos environmet needed for this very imoprtant
app(did I mention its important). THe pc runs 24/7 in an
unconditioned warehouse in the midwest. So i only want to go all new
on this box hardware!!

I'm going to get an slower amd processor and see. I got the patch
linked above but cant install it cuz windows wont run!? :-)
Old June 25th 03, 09:05 PM
rstlne

"Richard Cross" wrote in message
news

You can actually run DOS programs in Windows XP, using a special
wrapper program that handles the sound emulation. That's if you can be
bothered!

Not sure what the "bothered thing ='s ? but i guess, ghost onto a new
HD, put the same mobo, in new box with new fans then i can consider the
pc "new" as far as any problematic or potetially aging parts swapped
out.

Oh, I just meant that you could go the route of running your DOS programs
under Windows XP with the DOS sound emulator 'if you could be bothered'
because that option is a lot more hassle compared to running Windows 98
and using the DOS mode in that.

It's not the same however, Not if you need to load dos drivers, then dos had
a much different way of how some things are monitor'd and used, NT, XP, 2K
put many restrictions on "Dos" mode..

Win 98 SHOULD be able to handle anything he needs really, If it didnt then I
would probably opt for some form of GNU.

Also, some highly advanced programs DONT WORK under windows (any version)..
Just look at something like flashing your bios and the high fail rate of
doing that from within windows.. By the arguments in this thread you should
be able to jump into a dos window and update your bios (if you try that then
the asus/award update program will tell you it MUST not run in that mode)
and I have used several current communication programs that must be run in
dos for no problems. I just dont like the idea of someone saying "Dont
tell me to upgrade, I know my system is old but it's what I need" and tons
of people say, Just go out and pay 300$ for some software that really isnt
going to work..