Dell XPS m1710 power supply message.... any workarounds?

Old December 1st 14, 01:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sam Seagate

Default Dell XPS m1710 power supply message.... any workarounds?

Over the last year, I've been getting this message when booting up my
Dell m1710: "The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. The system
can only boot with a 130 W power adapter or greater. Strike the F1 key
to shutdown. To resolve this issue, try to reseat the power adapter."
I've been Googling for an answer but nothing really concrete on solving
this issue. My BIOS is the most current according to the Dell website
which is unfortunate because I had hoped a BIOS update would include an
option to disable this message at bootup as with other Dell laptops.
Anyway, my odd workaround so far has been to boot up without the power
supply connected and on battery only. Once it gets into Win, I plug in
the power supply and I'm good to go. However, it seems that the battery
won't charge and when it depletes completely, I have a heck of a time
booting up again because I keep getting the message. I have two
questions: 1) Is there a BIOS update I'm not aware of that would allow
message disable for this particular laptop (Dell XPS m1710) and 2) If
not, what are some possible alternative workarounds that don't cost an
arm and a leg? For example, how can I get the battery to start charging
again?

Thanks for your help.

Nonah
Old January 3rd 15, 10:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Monday, December 1, 2014 8:40:34 AM UTC-5, Sam Seagate wrote:
[...]

If the system cannot determine the type of power supply, the power supply pin may somehow be damaged or something gone wrong inside the power supply. Can you try another one? Also, pressing either F3 or F% (I forget which) tells the BIOS to go ahead and accept the power supply as-is... Ben Myers
Old January 4th 15, 08:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
pedro[_3_]

On Sat, 3 Jan 2015 14:43:16 -0800 (PST), Ben Myers
wrote:

If the system cannot determine the type of power supply, the power supply pin may somehow be damaged or something gone wrong inside the power supply. Can you try another one? Also, pressing either F3 or F% (I forget which) tells the BIOS to go ahead and accept the power supply as-is... Ben Myers

or it could be another occurrence of the DC jack connections failing?