Fastest KT7 cpu today ?

Old August 4th 03, 04:36 PM
Jibby

Default Fastest KT7 cpu today ?

fastest is xp3200 best value if your lucky is to buy 2600 and overclock to
2400mhz eg 3400
"Morgan Ohlson" wrote in message
Hi folks!

I know there are some people that knows almost everything about Abit and
AMD-cpu's around here.

Which is the fastest cpu for a KT7 (socket A) mobo today? (no OC, no
cpu-mod.)

Which is most likely the best budget alternativ as above?

Thanks!

Morgan O.

Old August 4th 03, 07:15 PM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 14:16:59 +0000, Morgan Ohlson wrote:

Hi folks!

I know there are some people that knows almost everything about Abit and
AMD-cpu's around here.

Which is the fastest cpu for a KT7 (socket A) mobo today? (no OC, no
cpu-mod.)

Which is most likely the best budget alternativ as above?

Get a 2100+ Tbred *B* core and plug it in. it will default to 20x100
(2000MHz). If you don't want to run at that speed you can change it via
the bios user defined settings. B cores are designed to run up to 2250MHz
(2800+), so don't consider it overclocked til you go over that speed. The
default vcore for the 2800+ is 1.65v. Don't consider it overvolting until
you go higher than 1.65v. See sig line. Read link below. www.newegg,com
sells the 2100+ B core for $67. Just make sure it says B core in the ad,
as they may sell other versions too.

Old August 5th 03, 11:00 AM
Morgan Ohlson

"Wes Newell" skrev i meddelandet
news
[...]

The "B", does it stand for the higher multipier?

What is the second best choice, if I can't lay hands on a 2100+Tb B-core ?

Morgan O.

Old August 5th 03, 03:15 PM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 10:00:53 +0000, Morgan Ohlson wrote:

"Wes Newell" skrev i meddelandet
news
sells the 2100+ B core for $67. Just make sure it says B core in the ad,
as they may sell other versions too.

The "B", does it stand for the higher multipier?

The B stands for the second generation of the Thoroughbred core. The
original (non B, referred to as A) core had problems and wouldn't clock
over about 1900MHz. The B has 1 or 2 extra layers and runs cooler and a
lot faster. It probab;y would have been better if they had changed the
core name, but they didn't. They did however change the cpuid from 680 to
681. All cpu's 2400+ and higher are b cores. 2200+ are either A or B.
Slower then 2200+'s can be Palomino, A, or B core Tbreds. Obviously the B
core is the desired core.

What is the second best choice, if I can't lay hands on a 2100+Tb B-core ?

Without modding the cpu, a 2400+ will work the same as the 2100+ B core.
If you want to cut a couple of bridges on the cpu, or wire the 5th bit
high on the older MB's, then you can use any B core Tbred. The 1700+ being
the most popular because it's the cheapest.

Old August 7th 03, 05:10 PM
BF

I just looked in buy User's manual for my KT7 Raid KT-133 board. The user
defined multiplier goes up to 12.5. What am I not understanding, when you
are talking 20X100 and 24X100? Will the bios default to a higher setting?
I am really considering doing this.
Thanks