What do you use for backup today?

Old July 17th 05, 11:50 AM
Clive

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Over the past few years the capacity of disk drives (and the amount of
space typically used on them) has greatly increased, and now it is
getting more and more difficult to figure out how to back up these
drives.

What type of hardware (and software) do you use on your systems for
backup?

Up to now, I've used HP DDS tape drives (DAT drives) for backup. But
DDS2 is limited to 4 GB, and DDS3 is limited to 24 GB, and that's
getting to be to small to hold even one backup on a single tape (or
even on several tapes in some cases).

So, what else is there? These DAT drives already cost me a fortune in
the good old days, and today they cost nearly as much as the rest of
the computer, when I can find them ... and even DDS4 is still limited
to 40 GB. DLT drives are several times more expensive at the cheap
end, although they do have capacity to hold an entire drive of data.

Are there other practical alternatives? What about external USB
drives, can that work? Old stuff like Zip drives and so on is
history, as it has even less capacity than tape. Archiving to CD or
DVD is also too low in capacity. It's getting to the point that the
only affordable option seems to be some sort of disk-to-disk copy (or
RAID for those who can afford it), but it would be nice to have
removable media that could be put in a safe place.

So what is everyone else building into their new machines for backup?
And do you just use standard backup tools like ntbackup on Windows or
dump on UNIX, or do you use special software purchased separately?

I use hard disks as backups. I copy my data direct using Save 'n' sync to a
'backup' hard disk in another machine that runs 24/7. Inside this backup
machine I also have two disks that again copy my data - so I end up with
three copies of my 'data'.

I figure it's easy enough to install the operating system onto a new disk
and then just copy my data back.

I don't like 'backup' software that creates a backup file(s). Much rather
have the data in it's native format - that way I can copy it, share it, etc,
without the need for backup software.

Clive

Old July 17th 05, 02:17 PM
Mxsmanic

Clive writes:

I use hard disks as backups. I copy my data direct using Save 'n' sync to a
'backup' hard disk in another machine that runs 24/7. Inside this backup
machine I also have two disks that again copy my data - so I end up with
three copies of my 'data'.

What's Save 'n' sync? An imaging product like Acronis or something?

I try to keep multiple copies, too. It can be difficult to manage,
but it's cheap and simple if you have several PCs/disk drives.

I figure it's easy enough to install the operating system onto a new disk
and then just copy my data back.

To an extent, yes, except for the registry issues I've mentioned.

UNIX has no registry, but it can still have problems sometimes.
FreeBSD seems to be very good at recognizing hardware as it boots, so
I don't actually have to change much to get it to run on new hardware
(but if I customize the kernel I have to make sure there's enough left
in it to boot on new hardware, i.e., no missing drivers). It's easier
to recover on UNIX than on Windows.

I don't like 'backup' software that creates a backup file(s). Much rather
have the data in it's native format - that way I can copy it, share it, etc,
without the need for backup software.

It's easier to get it disorganized that way, though.

Acronis lets me "mount" a backup file as a virtual read-only drive and
examine it exactly as if all the structure were restored to a disk
drive. Then I can copy individual files, etc., as required. Works
really well from what I've seen in my tests, so I have the best of
both worlds (one giant backup file, but still the possibility of
restoring individual files).
Old July 17th 05, 04:09 PM
Maintane

My main HD is an 80g. I also have a 120g, 160g and another 80g in a
removable tray and 3 other PC's on my LAN. About every 3 months, or less if
I've not made a lot of changes, I clone my system drive to the 80 in the
removable tray. I also back up my data directories to the 120 on even days,
the 160 on odd days, and another weekly copy to the 160. Additionally, it is
copied nightly to my wifes PC.

Everthing except the cloninng (Norton Ghost) is handled automatically by
Second Copy 200 (http://www.centered.com/).

It has worked great for me.

mb

Old July 17th 05, 04:58 PM
Mxsmanic

Maintane writes:

Everthing except the cloninng (Norton Ghost) is handled automatically by
Second Copy 200 (http://www.centered.com/).

It has worked great for me.

Pretty cool! I shall make a note of it.
Old July 18th 05, 09:19 PM
Clive

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Clive writes:

I use hard disks as backups. I copy my data direct using Save 'n' sync to
'backup' hard disk in another machine that runs 24/7. Inside this backup
machine I also have two disks that again copy my data - so I end up with
three copies of my 'data'.

What's Save 'n' sync? An imaging product like Acronis or something?

A file copying backup/file synchronisation util. I have my set to
copy/update all the files in My Documents to my 'server'
http://www.peersoftware.com/solution...l=sns&pid=snss

Clive

See