This problem will stump the best

Old June 4th 05, 01:05 PM
Sillysam

Default This problem will stump the best

Sempron 2400

5 different sticks of 256 ram

Asrock K7S41GX/E/M/ASR motherboard

PCCHIPS M825G Motherboard

Western Digital WD400 40 gig hard drive

Maxtor 80 gig hard drive

Those are all the combinations

Using all of the Western digital software, the hard drive was low level
formatted three times. Partitioned to only c drive several times.
partitioned to c drive 50% and d drive 50%.

Drive low level formatted with no problem, partitioned with no problem,
formatted with no problem.

Using all of the MAXTOR software to low level, test, partition, and format
the 80 gig hard drive, everything tested and loaded fine.

Put Windows 98 CD in the cdrom and booted to install and it comes up with a
problem with the hard drive.

Change motherboards, change memory, change hard drives.

Usuing the 40 gig and using fdisk and format, the hard drive will format
with system installed and will not boot.

Boot with floppy and copy files to C drive with no problem, BUT, when I try
to run any dos program on the C drive, it comes up NOT READING DRIVE C.

The only part of this whole thing is that the same AMD Sempron 2400.

The first problem I had to begin with was that the computer wouldn't read
any CD-rom drive. It showed the CDROM in the bios, Loaded it as Drive D,
but, when I put in any cd and type DIR, they flashed a couple of times and
then nothing. That was with the Asrock motherboard. So I bought the pchcips
motherboard and the CDROMS started to work. But, then the hard drive
problems started.

From that point it has been downhill all the way.

Old June 4th 05, 04:02 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 07:05:01 -0500, Sillysam wrote:

The only part of this whole thing is that the same AMD Sempron 2400.

And the PSU, cables, etc. I assume?

The first problem I had to begin with was that the computer wouldn't
read any CD-rom drive. It showed the CDROM in the bios, Loaded it as
Drive D, but, when I put in any cd and type DIR, they flashed a couple
of times and then nothing. That was with the Asrock motherboard. So I
bought the pchcips motherboard and the CDROMS started to work. But, then
the hard drive problems started.

From that point it has been downhill all the way.

Best wag, bad/weak PSU or bad/wrong (40wire) HD cables.

Old June 4th 05, 05:51 PM
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Wes Newell exclaimed (04-Jun-05 4:02 PM):
On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 07:05:01 -0500, Sillysam wrote:

The only part of this whole thing is that the same AMD Sempron 2400.

And the PSU, cables, etc. I assume?

That was my thought. Try a new HD cable. Keep in mind, the other part
that is the same is *you* - could be doing something wrong and you don't
even realize it. Is your mobo grounded properly, for instance?

But, my first thought would be to try a new IDE cable - if you're using
40 pin cables on a newer drive, there's your problem right there.
AFAIK, it's been a good long time since hard drives used the old 40-pin
ribbons - I know I tossed mine long ago.

jmc

Old June 4th 05, 07:03 PM
Ed Light

A friend has a problem with 2 CD drives and I think he might have put them
both in as master, so I suggested he take them out and check the jumpers to
be sure one is the slave.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old June 4th 05, 07:20 PM
Philburg

While a ribbon may be the problem, It could very well be the motherboards.
They are definately on the cheap end, and may not support your sempron well
without a BIOS update. Does it detect as a sempron? Athlon?

"Sillysam" wrote in message
[...]

From that point it has been downhill all the way.

Old June 4th 05, 10:16 PM

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 07:05:01 -0500, "Sillysam"
wrote:

Sempron 2400

5 different sticks of 256 ram

Wot RAM ?, needs to be a minimum of 333MHz

Asrock K7S41GX/E/M/ASR motherboard

http://www.asrockamerica.com/Products/K7S41GX.htm

PCCHIPS M825G Motherboard

Needs : Revision 050516s BIOS on a v9.2a MOBO for Sempron's
- see :

http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Pro...etailName=BIOS

Western Digital WD400 40 gig hard drive

Put a delay of 10/20 secs in the BIOS, any help ?

Maxtor 80 gig hard drive

[...]

- and the use of manufacturers formatting software.

The first problem I had to begin with was that the computer wouldn't read
any CD-rom drive. It showed the CDROM in the bios, Loaded it as Drive D,

a ' half ' done [ aborted ] install will treat will always [ O/S ] see
the CDROM as D:

but, when I put in any cd and type DIR, they flashed a couple of times and
then nothing. That was with the Asrock motherboard. So I bought the pchcips
motherboard and the CDROMS started to work. But, then the hard drive
problems started.

From that point it has been downhill all the way.

- use bootdisk.com, Fdisk & Format and stay away from Manufacturers
stuff for the moment.

- take note of others comment [s] on 40/80 cables & PSU's

- I've known inappropriate VID cards cause [ bad pool caller ] errors
with cabling - very hard to trace type of issue !

ΈτΆσ
Old June 5th 05, 02:09 AM
keith

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 07:05:01 -0500, Sillysam wrote:

Sempron 2400

5 different sticks of 256 ram

Asrock K7S41GX/E/M/ASR motherboard

PCCHIPS M825G Motherboard

^^^^^^^

That says a lot right there. PCChips has *always* been the bottom of the
barrel. ...though some did actually work.

--
Keith

Old June 5th 05, 08:14 PM
dawg

Why all the low level formatting? It's not good for hard drives to do that.

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.06.04.15.04.06.209136@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 07:05:01 -0500, Sillysam wrote:

The only part of this whole thing is that the same AMD Sempron 2400.

And the PSU, cables, etc. I assume?

The first problem I had to begin with was that the computer wouldn't
read any CD-rom drive. It showed the CDROM in the bios, Loaded it as
Drive D, but, when I put in any cd and type DIR, they flashed a couple
of times and then nothing. That was with the Asrock motherboard. So I
bought the pchcips motherboard and the CDROMS started to work. But, then
the hard drive problems started.

From that point it has been downhill all the way.

Best wag, bad/weak PSU or bad/wrong (40wire) HD cables.

Help needed with unidentified problem ^MisterJingo^ General 3 November 23rd 04 05:45 AM
ATI Radeon 8500 problem (or the ViewSonice A90f+ monitor problem)?? T.T. Ati Videocards 0 October 9th 04 07:19 PM
Mouse Problem Jeff Homebuilt PC's 0 October 1st 04 06:44 AM
not the same old B&W problem (I don't think) Brian Lee Ati Videocards 0 July 9th 04 01:15 AM
Directx Problem Solved Me Nvidia Videocards 1 August 23rd 03 06:32 AM