Graphics Card Problem

Old September 5th 04, 12:41 AM
Eric Scofield

Default Graphics Card Problem

Hello All,

I recently purchased the Radeon 9200 128 MB Graphics Card for my old Gateway System.

When I orignially put it in, it caused problems, e.g. the screen went black in the middle of an operation, or the computer froze.

I thought it was the power supply since the computer only had 200 W.

I purchased a new power supply 350 W and the computer works fine, but when I put the Graphics Card back in, the computer does the same thing.

Computer:

PIII, 450 MHz
384 Mb RAM
CD-RW/DVD-ROM
Zip 100

What I could do to make my computer correctly use this Graphics Card?

- Eric

Old September 5th 04, 12:47 AM
Synapse Syndrome

"Eric Scofield" wrote in message
Hello All,

I recently purchased the Radeon 9200 128 MB Graphics Card for my old Gateway
System.

When I orignially put it in, it caused problems, e.g. the screen went black
in the middle of an operation, or the computer froze.

I thought it was the power supply since the computer only had 200 W.

I purchased a new power supply 350 W and the computer works fine, but when I
put the Graphics Card back in, the computer does the same thing.

Computer:

PIII, 450 MHz
384 Mb RAM
CD-RW/DVD-ROM
Zip 100

What I could do to make my computer correctly use this Graphics Card?

-------------------------------

Update the drivers for the graphics card to the latest version.

ss.

Old September 5th 04, 02:21 AM
Eric Scofield

Should I Update the Drivers for the 9200 Radeon to the latest version before
I even take out my old graphics card (which also happens to be an ATI card)?

Or should I delete the old ATI drivers, take out old ATI card, install 9200,
then install new drivers - this is what I did and I ran into problems.

- Eric

Old September 5th 04, 06:50 AM
kony

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 21:21:03 -0400, "Eric Scofield"
wrote:

Should I Update the Drivers for the 9200 Radeon to the latest version before
I even take out my old graphics card (which also happens to be an ATI card)?

Or should I delete the old ATI drivers, take out old ATI card, install 9200,
then install new drivers - this is what I did and I ran into problems.

- Eric

With the old card in the system, driver should be removed from
Add/Remove Programs. System must then be rebooted to remove
remainer of driver (since it was being used) and at that point
the display adapter can be set to standard VGA (actually it'd be
doing so already if the driver actually uninstalled itself,
sometimes ATI drivers can't manage to uninstall too well, but
mostly that was with older pre-Catalyst drivers).

So after system is sitting there, not redetecting anything and
using the low-res generic driver, power off system and swap
cards.
Old September 5th 04, 05:14 PM
Eric Scofield

Thanks,

By the way, I tried the modification of my old Gateway Case to fit a
standard power supply and it worked great.

The finished product may be a little rougher than the cases you've done, but
the Fortron 350 W PSU I put in fits in great with no problems.

Now my case has good air circulation with the 120 mm PSU fan, and I added
an 80 mm fan in front of the hard drive.

Just out of curiousity though, you don't think that the Radeon 9200 is
taxing my system too much do you?

- Eric

Old September 5th 04, 07:32 PM
kony

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 12:14:57 -0400, "Eric Scofield"
wrote:

Thanks,

By the way, I tried the modification of my old Gateway Case to fit a
standard power supply and it worked great.

The finished product may be a little rougher than the cases you've done, but
the Fortron 350 W PSU I put in fits in great with no problems.

Now my case has good air circulation with the 120 mm PSU fan, and I added
an 80 mm fan in front of the hard drive.

Just out of curiousity though, you don't think that the Radeon 9200 is
taxing my system too much do you?

- Eric

With the Fortron 350W power supply?
No, that should support far more powerful video cards. Primary
considering with reworked old cases is if the components have any
spot-cooling problems, since most older cases didn't have so many
holes randomly scattered about the chassis... you might find that
leaving the PCI slot under the video card, unused, and that PCI
slot's case bracket cover off to move more air past the card. A
slot cooler probably isn't needed, just having the cover off will
passively flow air in that area.

Old September 7th 04, 03:02 AM
Eric Scofield

For some reason I just can't seem to get this Radeon 9200 card to work.

I uninstalled the ATI Rage 128 Drivers from the Add/Remove Programs screen.
But for some reason when I rebooted the system, the computer kept detecting
the hardware.

Then I disabled the Rage 128 Adapter and now the computer is running on
standard VGA.

I powered down the computer, swapped cards, and restarted the computer.

But when Windows finally loads up, ten seconds later the screen goes black
and never comes back on.

I have to be doing something wrong here, and it's aggrivating me.

Help.

Thanks again,

Eric

Old September 7th 04, 03:35 AM
kony

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 22:02:39 -0400, "Eric Scofield"
wrote:

For some reason I just can't seem to get this Radeon 9200 card to work.

I uninstalled the ATI Rage 128 Drivers from the Add/Remove Programs screen.
But for some reason when I rebooted the system, the computer kept detecting
the hardware.

Then I disabled the Rage 128 Adapter and now the computer is running on
standard VGA.

I powered down the computer, swapped cards, and restarted the computer.

But when Windows finally loads up, ten seconds later the screen goes black
and never comes back on.

Delete both of the Display Adapter entries, power OFF the
system (& unplug from AC, I assume you have been doing this
all along?), then swap cards. System should reboot using
the generic driver until it redetects new card. At that
point you should be able to cancel the wizard and install
driver from the ATI directory created when the driver
compressed download file was ran, or from CD, whichever.

I have to be doing something wrong here, and it's aggrivating me.

Mainly it's that you have an ATI video card. ATI does a
good job with hardware, OK with the driver itself, but
installing and uninstalling is quite poorly done.
Old September 11th 04, 08:05 PM
Eric Scofield

I tried what you said, but I couldn't get the card to work.

When windows would start, the screen would go multi-colored.

After that, I couldn't even get onto windows anymore.

I tried to start Windows in Safe Mode, but the system got hung up on the
agp440.sys file.

I tried to start Windows in VGA Mode, but it wouldn't start then either.

I'm starting to think that it's hopeless.

Maybe reinstalling windows will help the problem.

Lately, the system's been crashing with the video card and when it restarts
Windows has to check the hard disk.

It keeps saying there's a problem with the pagefile.

It's all greek to me.

wrote:

[...]

Flash card reader: write problem... KILOWATT General 7 June 1st 04 12:19 AM
strange graphics card problem Scott General 1 January 6th 04 12:06 AM
Graphics card problem LanNam General 1 December 6th 03 01:48 AM
Restart problem with graphics card 00steve General 1 November 27th 03 01:26 PM
Problem: Compaq EVO D310 vs Nvidia Graphics Card. Tomas General 5 November 1st 03 05:39 PM