Hercules 9800se AIW, OS crashes during booting

Old February 28th 04, 11:12 PM
Marven Lee

Default Hercules 9800se AIW, OS crashes during booting

Hello all,

I am having problems with the
Hercules Prophet 9800se All-inWonder
card that I've installed in a new machine.

The motherboard is a MSI K7N2 Delta-L
in a cheap case that came with a 350w PSU.
The latest nForce2 drivers are installed.

The first signs of a problem is during the RAM test
when the machine starts. Most of the text is
grey but there are a few pixels in some of the
characters that are white. The characters appear
to be the right shape, that is to say it doesn't look
garbled or anything like that.

If I enter the BIOS setup, or boot into safe mode
the text looks and displays okay, no noticable
that I can see.

When XP boots there are a few short, purple vertical
lines running through the Windows flag.

When the Desktop appears and I run in safe-mode
or with basic VGA mode display everything looks
okay, no noticable glitches.

But when I install the drivers on the Hercules disc
or the ATI disc or the latest ones from the ATI
website the machine crashes once it is about to display
the Welcome screen/desktop. The screen usually
stays black, sometimes the cursor appears fixed
in the middle of the screen.

I think I remember getting to the desktop using the
latest ATI drivers but there is a black line down
then left side of the cursor, the desktop becomes
corrupted and it locks up. I've left it waiting
for several minutes and nothing happens.

I tested the card in an older machine with
and the same glitches at POST appear.

basically I want to know if it is broke so
that I can return it or if I am doing something
wrong. Are my power supplies too weak
to handle an AIW card?

Any thoughts or help would be much
appreciated, thanks in advance.

Marv

Old February 29th 04, 12:49 AM
DaveW

You CANNOT use a 'cheap' power supply with the AIW 9800. Nowhere near
enough quality continuous power output.

--
DaveW