ATi --- Crossfire "Mark II" will finally abandon the Master-Slave implementation.

Old February 23rd 06, 05:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

Default ATi --- Crossfire "Mark II" will finally abandon the Master-Slave implementation.

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 02:00:17 GMT, "McGrandpa"
wrote:

"John Lewis" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:44:43 GMT, "McGrandpa"
wrote:

Then, I had a hd crap out on me last night.

Please elaborate with all details. A curious mind wants to know.

160gb's worth of data, just flushed.

John Lewis

Now that in itself has ME curious. Why?

This drive had a SMART error, is 3 years old, has been run quite hot at
times until I realized that it like all the stuff inside the case, needs
cooling. It 'lost' all partition data. I shouldn't have been using it for
anything critical. Now it has a different SMART error. Something about
RAW data rate. It took over 6 hrs to reformat, full drive, single
partition, NTFS.
And, it was only half full. Most of my stuff was backed up. Lost a few
days worth of emails.
Well?
McG.

The most interesting pieces of info were left out... manufacturer,
model number, manufacturing date. I have an interest
in collecting such information, as I build and repair PCs
quite frequently. Thanks in advance.

John Lewis

Old February 23rd 06, 07:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

wrote:

[...]

Western Digital WD1600JB-00DUA0, IDE 100, 160gb Manufactured 04JAN2003.

Hm. WD site says it's still under warranty. Through March. Seems I
registered it almost 3 years ago when I bought it. Thing is, it is still
running although it's *slow* and has that SMART raw read rate error. And it
forgot all about my partition.
HTH
McG.

Old February 24th 06, 05:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info.
Seems like a warranty return to me.
Just Do It.

John Lewis

Old February 24th 06, 10:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

"John Lewis"

Western Digital WD1600JB-00DUA0, IDE 100, 160gb Manufactured 04JAN2003.

Hm. WD site says it's still under warranty. Through March. Seems I
registered it almost 3 years ago when I bought it. Thing is, it is still
running although it's *slow* and has that SMART raw read rate error. And
it
forgot all about my partition.
HTH
McG.

Thanks for the info.
Seems like a warranty return to me.
Just Do It.

John Lewis

Right... got a box ready to go...
McG.

Old February 24th 06, 04:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

"McGrandpa" wrote in message
HL2 running Lost Coast video stress test in 1280x1024 with everything on
and highest, with highest image quality, 8x aa 16x af comes back
consistently with 70.84 fps.

I was playing the training level in Deus Ex with 8XS antialiasing at
1280x1024 with the supersampling transparent antialiasing (what a mouthful)
and it didn't slow down at all. Of course, I just have a "lowly" 7800 GT
card.

he one game that's surprised me the most so far is FEAR. It does *NOT*
'give as much as it gets'.... meaning I think the engine code is not well
optimised for either 32 bits mode or 64 bit mode.

This doesn't surprise me; Monolith engines have never been particularly
good.

Generally though there's no point in having SLI, not unless you have big
HDTV's or widescreen monitors. And especially because the industry I see
moving in two directions; a few tech demoes that push technology hard, and
the rest will be more indie game oriented. The PC gaming industry just
cannot sustain huge budgets like that forever; the cost of art assets in
games is getting higher and higher, and won't change until we have some
faster/easier way to do 3D modelling.