Athlon or Semperon?

Old February 25th 05, 06:24 PM
Veritech

Default Athlon or Semperon?

if you look around you can find 2600 for £55 ebuyer or dabs. Plus ebuyer and
scan still have some old xp's left, check it out
www.scan.co.uk
www.ebuyer.com
www.dabs.com

hope that was helpful.
"Cori" wrote in message
REQUIREMENT
I am in the UK and I want to get a "value-for-money" socket A
processor for an old motherboard (Via 266 chipset with SDRAM).

PURPOSE
I don't want to get the processor for overclocking purposes although
maybe I will use it for underclocking at 100 MHz rather than 133 MHz
to prevent the old system getting too stressed out! The PSU is good
but I will be working at the upper end of its capacbility so it
should be ok but there is always a chance it might not be.

PREVIOUS OPTIONS
Last summer I had been looking at a Thoroughbred-B but then the
Sempron came out in the 3rd quarter last year.

VALUE-FOR-MONEY
Back then the new Sempron 2600+ was roughly the equivalent power of
the older Athlon 2200+ but that Sempron actually cost about 25% more
than that Athlon. (£64 rather than £50.)

OTHER POSSIBILITIES
Maybe I should get a slower T'Bred-B or a late Duron just to keep the
cpu from drawing too much power in case I have a shortfall.

QUESTIONS
In general, have the Semprons at that power level maintained this
price differential or have Semprons come down in terms of bangs for
buck?

Maybe the Athlons have gone up on account of their rarity value.

Which would be the best value? Sempron or Athlon?

Old February 25th 05, 06:54 PM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:16:26 +0000, Cori wrote:

REQUIREMENT
I am in the UK and I want to get a "value-for-money" socket A processor
for an old motherboard (Via 266 chipset with SDRAM).

PURPOSE
I don't want to get the processor for overclocking purposes although maybe
I will use it for underclocking at 100 MHz rather than 133 MHz to prevent
the old system getting too stressed out! The PSU is good but I will be
working at the upper end of its capacbility so it should be ok but there
is always a chance it might not be.

It's good you want to underclock since you will have to if you get a
Sempron since it's default FSB is 166Mhz and your board is 133Mhz.

PREVIOUS OPTIONS
Last summer I had been looking at a Thoroughbred-B but then the Sempron
came out in the 3rd quarter last year.

The Sempron IS a Tbred B core.:-) Just with a new name, etc.

VALUE-FOR-MONEY
Back then the new Sempron 2600+ was roughly the equivalent power of the
older Athlon 2200+ but that Sempron actually cost about 25% more than
that Athlon. (£64 rather than £50.)

A sempron 2600+ in your board with it's 11 multiplier will be the same
as an XP 1700+.

OTHER POSSIBILITIES
Maybe I should get a slower T'Bred-B or a late Duron just to keep the
cpu from drawing too much power in case I have a shortfall.

Maybe you should get a cpu that has a default 133Mhz FSB (a /266 model).

QUESTIONS
In general, have the Semprons at that power level maintained this price
differential or have Semprons come down in terms of bangs for buck?

Maybe the Athlons have gone up on account of their rarity value.

They've gone up because AMD wanted to raise the price of their socket A
cpu's. So they changed the name to Sempron and then compared them to
Clerons to give them a higher PR number. They've discontinued most XP
production.

Which would be the best value? Sempron or Athlon?

See Sempron below. Then do the math for yourself.

Old February 25th 05, 08:48 PM
TripleEight

"Cori" wrote in message
REQUIREMENT
I am in the UK and I want to get a "value-for-money" socket A
processor for an old motherboard (Via 266 chipset with SDRAM).

Semprons are made for "value for money".

PURPOSE
I don't want to get the processor for overclocking purposes although
maybe I will use it for underclocking at 100 MHz rather than 133 MHz
to prevent the old system getting too stressed out! The PSU is good
but I will be working at the upper end of its capacbility so it
should be ok but there is always a chance it might not be.

Sempron for you. But do check the front side bus (fsb). As I believe Semprons
have locked multipliers so underclocking the fsb will probably underclock you
processor more than you want it to.

PREVIOUS OPTIONS
Last summer I had been looking at a Thoroughbred-B but then the
Sempron came out in the 3rd quarter last year.

VALUE-FOR-MONEY
Back then the new Sempron 2600+ was roughly the equivalent power of
the older Athlon 2200+ but that Sempron actually cost about 25% more
than that Athlon. (£64 rather than £50.)

OTHER POSSIBILITIES
Maybe I should get a slower T'Bred-B or a late Duron just to keep the
cpu from drawing too much power in case I have a shortfall.

QUESTIONS
In general, have the Semprons at that power level maintained this
price differential or have Semprons come down in terms of bangs for
buck?

Maybe the Athlons have gone up on account of their rarity value.

Which would be the best value? Sempron or Athlon?

Considering money alone, it could be the Sempron or the Athlons because Athlons
are widely sold for second-hand at this moment in time as the 64-bit processors
are the future. Do look at Semprons too because they are in fact Athlons TBreds
in disguise and are cheap.

Old February 25th 05, 09:11 PM
Veritech

the multipliers are locked
2600 is 11x (11x166=1.8ghz)
therefore @ 133 you should get 1.4ghz, not too bad if you ask me

Old February 26th 05, 12:32 AM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:48:44 +0000, TripleEight wrote:

"Cori" wrote in message
REQUIREMENT
I am in the UK and I want to get a "value-for-money" socket A processor
for an old motherboard (Via 266 chipset with SDRAM).

Semprons are made for "value for money".

Semprons weren't made. they are nothing but Athlon XP's with a higher FSB
and a higher price. The name was created to make AMD money, not to save
you money.:-)

Which would be the best value? Sempron or Athlon?

Considering money alone, it could be the Sempron or the Athlons because
Athlons are widely sold for second-hand at this moment in time as the
64-bit processors are the future. Do look at Semprons too because they
are in fact Athlons TBreds in disguise and are cheap.

Speed for speed, they are higher than equivilent Athlon XP's here in the
US. Sounds like you guys in the UK are getting gouged.

Old February 26th 05, 10:45 AM
Dave

Cori wrote:

[...]

Best take a look at some reviews online.

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...lld19JRD04Mjc=
http://www.trustedreviews.com/articl...e=1689&head=48
http://www.compshopper.co.uk/shopper...pron-2800.html
Old February 26th 05, 01:38 PM
TripleEight

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.02.25.23.38.27.333594@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:48:44 +0000, TripleEight wrote:
Speed for speed, they are higher than equivilent Athlon XP's here in the
US. Sounds like you guys in the UK are getting gouged.

Over here an Athlon XP 2200+ costs little more than a Sempron of the same
nominal speed (Sempron 2200+). But Athlons are sold as second-hand are cheaper
if not the same as the new Semprons.

It really depends who you are buying from. Athlon XP's are actually rare
nowadays and are not available in most major outlets.

Athlon XPs rated at nnnn+ are generally 400MHz faster than a Sempron nnnn+ so I
would definately buy the first if prices were close.

Old February 26th 05, 02:07 PM
Chachi

TripleEight wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.02.25.23.38.27.333594@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:48:44 +0000, TripleEight wrote:
Speed for speed, they are higher than equivilent Athlon XP's here in the
US. Sounds like you guys in the UK are getting gouged.

Over here an Athlon XP 2200+ costs little more than a Sempron of the
same nominal speed (Sempron 2200+). But Athlons are sold as second-hand
are cheaper if not the same as the new Semprons.

It really depends who you are buying from. Athlon XP's are actually rare
nowadays and are not available in most major outlets.

Athlon XPs rated at nnnn+ are generally 400MHz faster than a Sempron
nnnn+ so I would definately buy the first if prices were close.

The funny thing is, the pr numbers on the sempron don't match the xp's
ie, an xp 2000+ = sempron 2400+. So in reality, that sempron 2200+ is
more like an xp 1800+ but with a higher fsb. Drop 400 off the pr numbers
on a sempron to get the speed equivalent in xp's.
Old February 26th 05, 05:10 PM
M. Bezzel

Chachi wrote:
TripleEight wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
[...]

However the OP has a 266 board so you should drop 600 or more off of the
sempron (333fsb) vs a tbred (266fsb). Besides, eBay sells lots of used
unlocked tbredB's. Slight risk involved but unlocked xp1800+ are
averaging around $55 US shipped.