Dell printer 960

Old April 2nd 04, 09:51 AM
gringo

Default Dell printer 960

I had the 940 for 2 weeks and used the black ink cartridge on roughly 200
pages.

Bought a laster printer instead as I can't afford to wait (or afford the
price) for Dell's ink cartridges - it's been 10 days and still haven't got
replacement.

Would never buy another printer from Dell. Absolute pain in the ass having
to buy consumables online - takes days when you need them immediately.

So far I'm happy with my PC though I should be for $4000.

So the printer is now an ugly /poor quality scanner.

"kgold" wrote in message
Ogden Johnson III writes:
"Carolyn Taliaferro" wrote:

I purchased a Dell A960 printer last week. This is my first Lexmark
footprint printer and I was wondering about ink use. This printer

replaced
an HP printer. I wanted to buy an HP, but did not know what model to

select.
Staple's had almost three aisles of printer, and most were HP's .

The HP
site was of little help. There most be a printer war on. I said, I

could
not go wrong for $143 dollars on the Dell 's business site. I hope

this
printer does not use ink like a 6 cylinder car.

Can't speak to the exact model, but Lexmarks, like most ink jet
printers, use ink liberally. My Z-52 is the last ink jet I'll
buy. I'm saving up for a color laser.

Remotely on topic, I got a Canon MF360 for $100 - printer, scanner
with OCR software, and copier all in one. Standard cartridges
available everywhere. According to Consumer Reports, Canon is about
the best on print cost per page.

Old April 2nd 04, 06:24 PM
Ogden Johnson III

"gringo" wrote:

I had the 940 for 2 weeks and used the black ink cartridge on roughly 200
pages.

While not arguing with your decision [how could I? In the post
of mine you quoted I noted that I'm considering a laser for my
next home computer], I have a few observations.

Dunno about the Dell branded Lexmarks, but nowadays a *lot* of
new printers [ink and laser], faxes, and copiers are shipped with
"starter" ink/toner/ribbon [some faxes use ribbons] cartridges
with a limited lifetime. I suspect yours was a case of this.
Now, I don't do 100 pages a week at home, more like mebbe 200
pages a month. My cartridges last well over a year, sometimes
two. [1]

Bought a laster printer instead as I can't afford to wait (or afford the
price) for Dell's ink cartridges - it's been 10 days and still haven't got
replacement.

Granted, proprietary causes as problem. Can't speak for Oz, but
in the US I regularly order [for work or home] ink cartridges [or
toner, or ribbons], whether printer manufacturer-branded or the
house generic, online from Quill.com, Staples.com [same thing
nowadays, since one bought out the other], or OfficeDepot.com and
get overnight UPS delivery. [All three operate regional
warehouses within 1-day UPS range of the DC area.] Given prices,
even with Quill/Staples/OD discounts, of ink/toner/ribbon
cartridges I never miss the minimum order cost qualifying for
free shipping.

Would never buy another printer from Dell. Absolute pain in the ass having
to buy consumables online - takes days when you need them immediately.

Please, separate Dell from the online office supply folks who
*do* offer good prices and speedy shipment/delivery. At least in
the US, if they aren't available in Oz.

[{1} - I bought a fax for home last year, at my employer's
request {they paid half}. It came with one of those "starter"
ribbons. Although I bought a full service ribbon for when the
starter one ran out, my faxing frequency, incoming or outgoing,
has been such that, after a year-and-a-half, the starter ribbon
is still in there. Blasphemy, I know, but I don't fax much,
either in the office or while telecommuting. ;-]
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.
Old April 3rd 04, 02:50 AM
Not Me

"Ogden Johnson III"
| Bought a laster printer instead as I can't afford to wait (or afford the
| price) for Dell's ink cartridges - it's been 10 days and still haven't
got
| replacement.
|
| Granted, proprietary causes as problem. Can't speak for Oz, but
| in the US I regularly order [for work or home] ink cartridges [or
| toner, or ribbons], whether printer manufacturer-branded or the
| house generic, online from Quill.com, Staples.com [same thing
| nowadays, since one bought out the other], or OfficeDepot.com and
| get overnight UPS delivery. [All three operate regional
| warehouses within 1-day UPS range of the DC area.] Given prices,
| even with Quill/Staples/OD discounts, of ink/toner/ribbon
| cartridges I never miss the minimum order cost qualifying for
| free shipping.
|
| Would never buy another printer from Dell. Absolute pain in the ass
having
| to buy consumables online - takes days when you need them immediately.
|
| Please, separate Dell from the online office supply folks who
| *do* offer good prices and speedy shipment/delivery. At least in
| the US, if they aren't available in Oz.

snip

While we're on this subject: are ink supplies for the dell printers ONLY
available from Dell? If so are there any reliable aftermarket suppliers?

Old April 3rd 04, 04:48 AM
Ogden Johnson III

"Not Me" wrote:

"Ogden Johnson III"

| Would never buy another printer from Dell. Absolute pain in the ass
having
| to buy consumables online - takes days when you need them immediately.
|
| Please, separate Dell from the online office supply folks who
| *do* offer good prices and speedy shipment/delivery. At least in
| the US, if they aren't available in Oz.

snip

While we're on this subject: are ink supplies for the dell printers ONLY
available from Dell? If so are there any reliable aftermarket suppliers?

No, that's the OP's problem. Yes, they're Dell branded Lexmarks,
but they don't use the standard Lexmark cartridge - Dell has
their own modified cartridge. So you're stuck getting them from
Dell. I know there are aftermarket/generic/recycling suppliers
for the true Lexmark [actually, IIRC, its an HP generic used for
some Compaq and Samsung items also] cartridge. Never heard of an
aftermarked/generic/recycling supplier for the Dell-peculiar
ones.
Old April 9th 04, 07:26 AM
gringo

Yeah I agree with John's response, but I thought I would have got a few more
pages than 200 and didn't think my wife would use it up in 2 weeks either.
It's April 7, and I've still haven't recieved my cartridge I ordered on
March 20. Dell have not repsonded to my email yet (3 days ago).

Considering I got my laptop in less than 2 weeks, I'm really surprised that
an ink cartridge has taken so long - I honestly think it has gotten lost in
the post.

Joe