last comment

Old November 2nd 03, 07:18 PM
Was Curious

Default last comment

Chris Are you telling me that the printer 740J would work with windows 98?
From what I read they never made drivers to support 98!
I do believe I found a solution - what do you mean not bringing myself any
closer to the solution? Now as for the credibility issue I will not even
comment. Why do people have to turn this outsourcing problem into a racism
problem?
This is my last reply on this thread - I think BOTH of us are taking time
away from the generosity of this newsgroup.
Jane
From: "Christopher Muto"
Subject: 50 min and counting (troll)
Date: Sunday, November 02, 2003 2:01 PM

sounds unfortunate, but once again instead of presenting a question to this
helpful and generous group, you wasted and opportunity and expended more
energy on not bringing yourself any closer to a solution. this is the
credibility thing that i was referring to in my post under "just ordered
inspiron 8500 - having regrets".

"Was Curious" wrote in message
et...
My apologies to the group for my husband's rant - however - I will defend
him. He is usually not the type to get aggravated but when he saw me

close
to tears he took over and Dell is as pathetic as he said!
I believe I finally solved the problem myself but it was a Tech support
person who screwed up our computer. It started out as a very simple
request. We just rec'd the computer on Wed and set it up immediately. We
hooked up our router and wanted to connect both pc's to the new printer

Dell
sent us. Now, you must realize it is not a big deal, and I am not very
computer literate (nor is my spouse) but I just figured out the problem
today.
Here's the scenario and the reason for the rant:
Wed rec'd computer and set up and couldn't get printer to share. Call

tech
support and had to go through 3 calls before we could get one we could
hear - not to mention understand. The phone connections were the pits!

Ok,
finally we get a nice tech or we can hear despite his heavy accent. He

was
very patient and stayed on the phone with us for nearly 2 hours. He never
was able to hook up the printer but he was able to screw up so many files

on
the computer. He spent the entire time having us delete things (brand new
dell) and changing around many hidden files. He also had me delete the
trial McAfee programs which Dell set up. Now I was without virus/firewall
protections and my computer was getting error messages about virus scan

and
active X etc. He told us he was stuck (after many back and forths with his
supervisior) and he would call us back Thursday evening. Well....I have
stayed in since Thursday evening waiting for the call. I did email tech
support and was told since I have a case started I must call. We did call
on Friday (3times) and Sat (2times) only to get transferred from one dept

the next and never getting assistance - we were told they were still

working
on it. Today...after our long wait I did get someone and she reviewed the
case and told me it was over her head and she would transfer my call to
Advance tech support. Trust me, I am not making this up - after a half

hour
wait..an operator got on to let me know that Advanced support will cost be
$244. and change. since they don't support tech help for networking!!
Bottom line: Me (once again..not computer literate at all) looked on the
web and found out that win98 (the older computer) cannot use this printer
since they don't have drivers!!!!!!!!!
No big deal - I can live with two separate printers but I think that in

over
2 hrs...somehow..the tech should have figured this out instead of
reconfiguring my computer. I read and read and used system restore and
brought the computer back to day 1. I also downloaded free trials of

McAfee
that he had us delete.
So, sorry for the long post but felt people were entitled to hearing the
story after such a rant. Now, Christopher, normally we do not rave and

rant
but Dell as pushed too many buttons over a simple thing that any idiot

could
eventually figure out.
Thanks everyone for listening
Jane
Can anyone point me to a good place to figure on my own how to network the
two computers to share files?
"PC Gladiator" wrote in message
Geez, and YOUR accusing HIM of ranting and editorializing?! A simple,
"Please post your problem or question here and we may be able to help

you."
would have sufficed.

Maybe all that time on hold has raised his blood temp a few degrees? So

the original poster, what happened when you got thru to support? How

long
did it take and was your problem addressed? Please update us or post

your
issue here and see if you get any help.

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
nice positive view on life (sarcasm). why bother even getting out of

bed
in
the morning?

instead of taking this opportunity to post your important question you

come
here to rant. and your rant is particularly absurd since you tell us

that
you have invested so much time on hold for what you already know to be

waste of time. this makes no sense at all. if your question is so
important then why don't you just drop the editorial and ask the group

your
question? i am not surprised that you having a problem given this

behavior
but am still willing to help if you want to change your tack.

try again... we are happy to help, and the group is well equipped in

doing
so, but just like with therapy, you have to be willing to be helped

for
it
to work.

"Curious Me" wrote in message
et...
That's how long I am holding for Tech support and I am sure it will

be
wasted phone call. The reason for the long wait is probably because
nobody
can understand the techs and everything (including wrong info) must

be
repeated 5 times. On the rare occassion you get a tech you can

understand
then you have a bad connection - this is a no win situation with

Dell
and
think they have shoved the consumer a bit too far.

If you recently bought a Dell, I wish you luck - if you are thinking

of
purchasing DON'T

Old November 2nd 03, 08:12 PM
Christopher Muto

i assume that you are asking about the dell j740 printer and windows 98. if
that is the case then you are correct that dell only provides a driver for
it to work with windows 2000 and windows xp. however, since this printer is
based on a lexmark engine, it may well work with lexmark printer drivers.
there is no exact lexmark model equivalent tot he dell j740 but i suggest
that you try the following (note that i say *try* as i have not done this
myself with this particular model)... i suggest that you download and
install the lexmark z11 windows 98 printer driver on the windows 98 machine.
when you install it say that it is directly connected to your computer
(local, not network) even though it is not. after it is installed then go
into the printer properties and change the port to the network location of
the printer (found on the new machines, again guessing since you did not
say). this is found under, start-settings-printers-lexmarkz11(right
click)-properties-ports(tab)-addport. finnally, try to print and see what
comes out... you can get the driver from the link below (if not truncated by
your email reader) or just go to lexmark.com and navigate to the driver page
for the z11 printer.
http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-per...downloads.cgi&
i suspect that dells reason for not supporting windows 98 with this printer
is simple, they don't sell computers with 98 and it likely means a minimal
loss of sales and a huge avoidance expense of support costs that would
likely result from trying to install on an old operating system that was
known to have problematic usb support (this is a usb only printer). but the
driver will likely work with it, just not something they are willing to
support. if you give it a try report back your results.

"Was Curious" wrote in message
et...
Chris Are you telling me that the printer 740J would work with windows 98?
From what I read they never made drivers to support 98!

Old November 2nd 03, 08:25 PM
Was Curious

Thank you Christopher - we are going out for an early dinner but I will try
it this evening. It would be nice to use one printer for both computers and
would be a great space saver. I will let you know and I appreciate the
help.
Sincerely,
Jane

http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-per...0:281:0:0&emea
frame=&target=http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi&emeaframe=
&target=http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi&
i suspect that dells reason for not supporting windows 98 with this

printer
is simple, they don't sell computers with 98 and it likely means a minimal
loss of sales and a huge avoidance expense of support costs that would
likely result from trying to install on an old operating system that was
known to have problematic usb support (this is a usb only printer). but

the
driver will likely work with it, just not something they are willing to
support. if you give it a try report back your results.

"Was Curious" wrote in message
et...
Chris Are you telling me that the printer 740J would work with windows

98?
From what I read they never made drivers to support 98!

Old November 2nd 03, 08:34 PM
Joan

Jane, don't give up on the newsgroup. If you have a problem, try here
first, there are still some very knowledgeable guys here. You don't hear
from them unless you have a problem they have knowledge of.

Joan

Old November 2nd 03, 11:10 PM
Irene

Why do people have to turn this outsourcing problem into a racism
problem?

Because they are unable or unwilling to admit that Dell's support has
problems.

"Was Curious" wrote in message
et...
Chris Are you telling me that the printer 740J would work with windows 98?
From what I read they never made drivers to support 98!

Old November 3rd 03, 01:29 PM
Mickie

Well Chris - it was a good suggestion but it didn't work because everything
was going fine and then it told me to insert disk. It was missing 3 files
without the disk. I will live with what I have or set up my old printer to
both computers and use the new one as an extra.
Thanks again,
Jane
[...]

From what I read they never made drivers to support 98!

Old November 3rd 03, 01:39 PM
Christopher Muto

is this the same jane as first posted? it is very difficult to follow the
trial when you use different names (3 so far) and incomplete descriptions of
the issue... when you say "it" was missing three files what do you mean?
sounds more like a windows problem then a printer driver problem. if you
were able to get this printer to work with win98 then it would be helpful to
others... but then again, you can save yourself the trouble if you just
returned this new printer to dell and purchase a new printer that meets your
needs of working in win98 and xp and can be shared on a network.

"Mickie" wrote in message
et...
[...]

From what I read they never made drivers to support 98!

Old November 3rd 03, 02:42 PM
Was Curious

Chris
Yes, it's the same Jane - I haven't used 3 names I used 2 names, myself and
my husband George or G wrote in. In error, not meant to confuse people I
switched identities or I used the other computer and it was a different
identity..whatever.

The win98 setup of the printer told me to insert disk because the setup was
missing 3 files. The printer was a freebie from Dell but like I mentioned
before, if it doesn't work it's not the end of the world.
I don't know if you are intentionally trying to stress me out with your
sarcasm or if it's just your writing style that doesn't agree with me. I
apologized, I thanked you, I appreciated your suggestions and I told you so,
and now I would just prefer you ignored by posts. I had already mentioned I
was a novice and I think someone as experienced as you should have been able
to figure out who I was and what I meant by "it" in my post.

Have a good life
Jane, George, G, Curious Me, Was Curious et al

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
is this the same jane as first posted? it is very difficult to follow the
trial when you use different names (3 so far) and incomplete descriptions

of
the issue... when you say "it" was missing three files what do you mean?
sounds more like a windows problem then a printer driver problem. if you
were able to get this printer to work with win98 then it would be helpful

others... but then again, you can save yourself the trouble if you just
returned this new printer to dell and purchase a new printer that meets

your
needs of working in win98 and xp and can be shared on a network.

"Mickie" wrote in message
et...
[...]

From what I read they never made drivers to support 98!

Old November 3rd 03, 03:16 PM
Christopher Muto

just trying to help. don't mean to cause stress. i am just direct and
matter of fact. i find the editorials that many people post here as both
useless and a distraction to solving the problem at hand. obvioulsy people
need to vent even if it dosen't help them or anyone else.

as for the last post it was unclear if you meant "it" to be the printer
driver installer or a windows pop up that was asking you for additional
files. i would guess that it asked your to insert the 'original windows cd'
to complete the installation of the driver. the driver you downloaded
should have been complete. if you are installing this printer driver on a
dell that came pre-loaded with windows then a copy of the original windows
cd should be on the system's hard drive. if the system was reloaded with
windows then a copy of the original cd may not be on the system's hard
drive. when factory installed it is located in the \windows\options\cabs
folder. try the install again and when asked for the additional files
either insert the original windows 98 cd or click on the 'browse' and
redirect it to look in the \windows\options\cabs folder.

do what you want with this information. certainly these sorts of things can
be more effort than they are worth. but don't think for a minute that being
a novice means you can't get something done... it just may take a little
longer is all... and it may take better instruction that i can provide to
get it done but i am not the only one here... and the worst thing that can
happen is that you may learn more about your computer.

[...]

"Mickie" wrote in message
et...
[...]

From what I read they never made drivers to support 98!