All In Wonder vs. Graphics Card + TV Tuner

Old June 17th 04, 05:07 PM
RandyNews

Default All In Wonder vs. Graphics Card + TV Tuner

I read an article recently that said that tuner cards coming out after this
summer will include a new anti piracy key which prevents sharing of recorded
files. Aparently the all in wonder 9800 is one of the few that will record
hdtv and still be able to share the files.

RandyL

"Rick" wrote in message
The best part about having a separate TV tuner, is you can keep it in your
system when you upgrade the video card. There's no real sense in paying

the
extra $50.00 for the TV tuner portion every time you upgrade your video
card. I have a Rage II ATI All-in-wonder and a Rage 128 ATI All-in-Wonder
gathering dust on a shelf that proves my point.

bye, Rick

"Spiderman" wrote in message
Are there any pros'cons to the All In Wonder vs separate ATI graphics

and
tuner cards. I'm currently running 9600 with a TV Tuner Pro card. Would

the
All In Wonder 9600 provide any advantage? I would think 2 separate cards

can
handle the "load" better...is that right?

Old June 17th 04, 06:19 PM
J. Clarke

RandyNews wrote:

I read an article recently that said that tuner cards coming out after
this summer will include a new anti piracy key which prevents sharing of
recorded files. Aparently the all in wonder 9800 is one of the few that
will record hdtv and still be able to share the files.

The 9800 All In Wonder doesn't have any kind of input that supports HDTV
signals so this is moot.

RandyL

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old June 18th 04, 08:51 AM
GMAN

In article , "J. Clarke" wrote:
RandyNews wrote:

I read an article recently that said that tuner cards coming out after
this summer will include a new anti piracy key which prevents sharing of
recorded files. Aparently the all in wonder 9800 is one of the few that
will record hdtv and still be able to share the files.

The 9800 All In Wonder doesn't have any kind of input that supports HDTV
signals so this is moot.

RandyL

That is wrong, a HDTV TV tuner card and a ATI 9800 card would communicate at
the bus level. HDTV support has been in the Theater chip for years now.

Old June 18th 04, 06:03 PM
RandyNews

It says on the box that it will OUTPUT to HDTV. I'm not sure about the hdtv
reception though. You could be right....on the other hand, the hdtv signals
aren't that common yet. Can it record hdtv?

RandyL

"GMAN" wrote in message
In article , "J. Clarke"

Old June 19th 04, 05:08 PM
Haggard the Horrendous

"Rick" wrote in message
The best part about having a separate TV tuner, is you can keep it in your
system when you upgrade the video card. There's no real sense in paying

the
extra $50.00 for the TV tuner portion every time you upgrade your video
card. I have a Rage II ATI All-in-wonder and a Rage 128 ATI All-in-Wonder
gathering dust on a shelf that proves my point.

bye, Rick

Query. I was originally planning on getting the AIW 9600XT since it
seems to have the most bang for the buck for what I need. I'm not a
gamer so the ultimate in speed isn't an issue. Graphics wise I use the
computer mainly for watching DVD's, TV, occasionally recording TV
shows. I also occasionally have need to copy video off a VCR into an
MPG or AVI file where I can capture individual frames. For the
preverts, sorry. This is footage off Security cameras.

Right now I'm using an HIS Excalibur Radeon 9000 and ATI TV Wonder VE
and it does what I want. Now I'm going to assemble a new system and
these will stay with the old one.

I've always liked the idea of separate components. Now I'm looking at
combining the HIS Radeon 9600XT 128MB with the AsusTV/FM card
w/remote.

The Asus says it includes an Electronic Program Guide. How does this
compare with ATI's Guide Plus (which I find very useful)?

How well would these two components work together? I'll be using them
under W98SE. For those that suggest I 'upgrade' to XP sorry, not a
chance. I don't support Activationware. As well, there's just far too
many bugs in XP and I don't want to spend my time patching it. And I
don't like the way it looks and works. And... Anyways, my next OS
upgrade will be to Linux.

Oh, and I'm using a Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1 sound card which will
be going into the new system

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

--
If you can't figure out my address from this,
then we probably don't have a lot to talk about: