Zip Drive Configuration?

Old March 18th 04, 02:12 PM
Paul Doble

Default Zip Drive Configuration?

Hi,

Where should an internal zip drive sit in the IDE interface? I have a 70gb
hard drive on the primary IDE channel and a DVD drive and a CD re-writer on
the secondary. I am worried that by connecting the zip drive on the primary
channel , it will slow down the hard drive?

Thanks in advance

Paul.

Old March 18th 04, 07:11 PM
Bubba

Paul Doble's log on stardate 18 ožu 2004

Where should an internal zip drive sit in the IDE interface? I have a
70gb hard drive on the primary IDE channel and a DVD drive and a CD
re-writer on the secondary. I am worried that by connecting the zip
drive on the primary channel , it will slow down the hard drive?

Once and for all, connecting second device with slower transfer rate does
_NOT_ slows the transfer of faster device.

--
Ja sjedoh, svi sjedoshe
Ja ustah, svi ustashe!
Old March 18th 04, 08:41 PM
~misfit~

Bubba wrote:
Paul Doble's log on stardate 18 ozu 2004

Where should an internal zip drive sit in the IDE interface? I have a
70gb hard drive on the primary IDE channel and a DVD drive and a CD
re-writer on the secondary. I am worried that by connecting the zip
drive on the primary channel , it will slow down the hard drive?

Once and for all, connecting second device with slower transfer rate
does _NOT_ slows the transfer of faster device.

At last!!! Sanity. Thanks Bubba.
--
~misfit~

Old March 19th 04, 02:27 PM
Bubba

~misfit~'s log on stardate 18 ožu 2004

Once and for all, connecting second device with slower transfer rate
does _NOT_ slows the transfer of faster device.

At last!!! Sanity. Thanks Bubba.

I thaught that this group had been more sain before i came ... )

--
Ja sjedoh, svi sjedoshe
Ja ustah, svi ustashe!
Old March 19th 04, 10:56 PM
~misfit~

Bubba wrote:
~misfit~'s log on stardate 18 ozu 2004

Once and for all, connecting second device with slower transfer rate
does _NOT_ slows the transfer of faster device.

At last!!! Sanity. Thanks Bubba.

I thaught that this group had been more sain before i came ... )

Sanity is relative my friend.

BTW, you aren't the 'Bubba' I met in jail are you? g.
--
~misfit~

Old March 20th 04, 07:36 AM
~misfit~

Trent© wrote:
On 18 Mar 2004 19:11:58 GMT, Bubba wrote:

Paul Doble's log on stardate 18 ozu 2004

Where should an internal zip drive sit in the IDE interface? I have
a 70gb hard drive on the primary IDE channel and a DVD drive and a
CD re-writer on the secondary. I am worried that by connecting the
zip drive on the primary channel , it will slow down the hard drive?

Once and for all, connecting second device with slower transfer rate
does _NOT_ slows the transfer of faster device.

That's NOT true. It depends on the capability of the controller.

True, if it's a 486 or earlier then you'd be in trouble. However, as you're
already using a 70GB HDD I'd say your IDE channels are capable of addressing
devices independantly. Not many 386-486-very early Pentium PCs will run a
70GB HDD.

Trent, if you're going to make statements like that at least qualify them
with something like "Since the early Pentium 1 days almost all IDE
controllers are capable of independantly addressing IDE devices. Since
Pentium II days all are capable. Unless your PC is 10 years old or more you
should be fine."

Didn't you say you were A+ qualified? It cracks me up what **** people get
taught, even today. I have a friend who's just completed a polytech course
on computer hardware and he bought his exam papers home for me to look at. I
wouldn't have passed. I would have given correct answers, not what they'd
been taught. It's scary that people get these bits of paper that says they
know what they're doing and then get employment on the strength of them. I
was, frankly, appalled at the bull**** they get taught. If I was employing
I'd ask if they had any qualifications of this type, and if they did tell
them I wasn't interested in employing them. I'd rather teach someone from
scratch, someone with no false, pre-conceived ideas.
--
~misfit~

Old March 20th 04, 11:16 AM
Bubba

~misfit~'s log on stardate 19 ožu 2004

BTW, you aren't the 'Bubba' I met in jail are you? g.

I'll let you think about it ... eg

--
Ja sjedoh, svi sjedoshe
Ja ustah, svi ustashe!
Old March 20th 04, 11:16 AM
Bubba

Trent©'s log on stardate 20 ožu 2004

Once and for all, connecting second device with slower transfer rate
does _NOT_ slows the transfer of faster device.

That's NOT true. It depends on the capability of the controller.

Trent ... I haven't seen controller without IDT (so, ATA-1 controller)
since 1996, and that one was in some elder machine (286, IIRC). Have you?

--
Ja sjedoh, svi sjedoshe
Ja ustah, svi ustashe!