8IK1100 running RAM at 333

Old November 20th 03, 04:32 PM
Walker

Default 8IK1100 running RAM at 333

Hi, I have an issue with this board running stable at stock settings.
I just got it up and running but it is unstable with RAM at 400MHz. I
am using BIOS F8b, a 2.6C P4, Kingston HyperX 3500 512 stick, WD 120GB
SATA drive, ATI AIW 7500 video, and Antec 380W True power in a Sonata
case. I have no tweaks to the CPU speed or settings, but I have to
back the bus to 333 or the thing randomly reboots. I have
Hyperthreading enabled (makes no diff either way). I have read some
posts for other issues but I was wondering how to go about this or is
this a MOBO problem. I have not gone to the Advanced settings yet or
anything. Also, I have checked the HD with WD diagnostics, the memory
checks out perfect in MEMTEST86 3.0. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old November 20th 03, 07:37 PM
Russell

Hi Walker,

Try increasing the memory voltage +.2 from the default 2.5V for increased
stability with DDR400. You did manually change the default motherboard FSB
from 533MHz (133 quad pumped) to 800MHz (200 quad pumped). Also could be a
heat-related issue, especially with the Sonata case and its limited airflow.
How are your ambient/CPU temps? Corrupt video drivers could also be the
culprit.

Hope this helps,
Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

om...

Old November 21st 03, 12:52 PM
Walker

Hi again, update:
I tried setting the bus back to 400Mhz and then tweaked the voltage
+.1,+.2 same result. Set power back to default. Tried more agressive
settings 2-5-2-2:same, then less agressive 2-6-2-2:same, 2-7-2-2:same,
2-7-3-2:same, 2-7-3-3:same, 2.5-7-3-3:same, 3-7-3-3:same. I have to
admit I am a little in the dark on timing tweaks, but the thing is
still hanging up or rebooting. I set it back to 333mhz and it runs
like a champ. Could it be due to the fact that I have only one stick
of RAM instead of two? It defaults to 400mhz from SPD, so the RAM is
detected as being able. BIOS fault maybe? Thanks.

Old November 21st 03, 03:31 PM
Russell

Hi Walker,

Try updating your BIOS to the latest official F8 version posted yesterday at
the Gigabyte web site, since you're currently using a beta BIOS version.
Use the default SPD timings, but up the voltage by +.2. Still could be
processor heat related; what is your CPU temp looking like? By the way,
you'd definitely get better results using an even number of ram modules in
order to enable dual channel mode.

Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

om...

Old November 21st 03, 06:43 PM
Walker

Hi Russell, I took a peek at the TastyComputers site. Pretty nice
looking systems there. I saw the configs on the Bistro (very close to
my setup).
Mine is:
Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 F8b BIOS
P4 2.6C
(Intel P4 3.0 CPU CU heatsink)
Kingston HyperX PC3500 512Mb
Plextor PX-W4824TA CDRW
Plextor PX-116A DVD
ATI AIW 7500
Antec Sonata 380W TruePower
MS Natural Keyboard
Logitech Cordless Mouseman

I will try the official F8 bios and update my ATI drivers. I am not at
that computer right now but I will check CPU temps (I am worried if I
get reboots after just running 2 minutes from a heat problem,
especially with almost no load) anyway. I will give the voltage tweaks
a shot again and may even consider another stick of the HyperX (I was
planning on getting another stick anyway eventually). We use Gigabyte
boards at work because of their stability and I am hoping to get this
one up to its potential. Thanks.

Old November 22nd 03, 02:15 PM
Walker

Latest:
I updated the BIOS to F8 and updated the ATI Catalyst drivers. I
thought I was home free, but the thing was only running with a FSB at
100 after the BIOS update. Set it back to 200Mhz and then back to
reboots. Upped the RAM voltage to +.1,.2,.3 all reboots. CPU temp at
45c (warm but OK I would think). Ran MBM5 software to check voltages
while running. All seems ok but the 12v was running at 11.4 according
to MBM5. I will put a volt meter on it to check today sometime.
Started back with the timings but when I got to 3-8-3-3, the thing
would not even post, just beeped. Reset the battery and then went to
bed. I will play again today sometime with this thing (I am going to
try to contact Gigabyte and see if they have any suggestions too.

Old November 22nd 03, 05:27 PM
Russell

I built a similar customized system for a customer who wanted the Sonata
case and the included 380Watt PSU. He had the 3 GHz P4 and 1 GB memory and
all went well with the build. The main difference was that I used Mushkin
Black Level 1 PC3200 memory (2 x 512 MB) on his. In fact, I always use
Mushkin, unless the customer specifically requests another brand, and have
never had any memory problems with any of Gigabyte's 875P chipset MOBOs.

Your 45c CPU temp is to be expected with the 3 GHz P4 (particularly with
this Sonata case with stock cooling) and is fine. Right now, I'd suspect
the memory or the PSU. Good luck troubleshooting, and keep us informed.

Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

om...

Old November 25th 03, 06:26 PM
Walker

The latest is I am giving up. I have exhausted all my avenues and will
live with it at 333. I contacted Gigabyte and they said it was
probably due to the fact that I am not running PC3200 RAM. It that is
true, man, what a unflexible board. I am not going to buy PC3200 just
to run a test. I am using a used MSI 865PE NEO2-S and it just flies
along. I didn't even have to use the F6 trick to load the OS. I have
always liked Gigabyte in the past but this puts a bad taste in my
mouth. Thanks for your help.