New NF7s system won't power on

Old February 17th 04, 08:35 AM
Jim J

Default New NF7s system won't power on

Built a new NF7s system tonight, and it won't power on. Hit the power
switch, and everything comes on for about a second, and then back off
again. I have to turn it off at the power supply long enough for that
little light by the power switch connectors to go off. Then, when I
turn everything on , it will get power for about a second again. I've
tried a different power supply, different RAM (in every slot),
different CPU, swapped the reset switch to the power switch position,
reset the CMOS jumper, and tried it with every different power plug
plugged in, and removed.

Any ideas?
Old February 17th 04, 11:52 AM
Heckler ²°°³

Jim J wrote:
Built a new NF7s system tonight, and it won't power on. Hit the power
switch, and everything comes on for about a second, and then back off
again. I have to turn it off at the power supply long enough for that
little light by the power switch connectors to go off. Then, when I
turn everything on , it will get power for about a second again. I've
tried a different power supply, different RAM (in every slot),
different CPU, swapped the reset switch to the power switch position,
reset the CMOS jumper, and tried it with every different power plug
plugged in, and removed.

Any ideas?

Sounds like the CPU fan isn't connected... if the MB detects no fan for the
CPU it will power off. Make sure it's connected to the header next to the
CPU socket.

Old February 17th 04, 06:28 PM
Jim J

Tried plugging about 3 different fans into the CPU fan slot. (I
thought the same thing you're thinking when it first happened.)
- Jim

Old February 20th 04, 11:06 PM
CB

"Jim J" wrote in message
news
Built a new NF7s system tonight, and it won't power on. Hit the power
switch, and everything comes on for about a second, and then back off
again. I have to turn it off at the power supply long enough for that
little light by the power switch connectors to go off. Then, when I
turn everything on , it will get power for about a second again. I've
tried a different power supply, different RAM (in every slot),
different CPU, swapped the reset switch to the power switch position,
reset the CMOS jumper, and tried it with every different power plug
plugged in, and removed.

Could be anything not plugged in right! I've just fitted a FDD drive
connector the wrong way round:-( Same thing the MoBo took one look at it and
said no! Check all connection to start with.

CB

Old February 22nd 04, 12:39 AM
Jim J.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Also, thanks to Craig, who sent me an
email. Well, got everything running, and since I'm back online now,
(on a new Abit NF7s!) I thought I'd fill the group in on what I
believe was causing the issue.

Would you believe it appears to have been the amount (or method
applied) of the thermal paste? I figure the system reacts to sharp
temperature spikes that might indicate trouble, even when the actual
heat hasn't had time to get very high. Anyway, I've encountered this
issue with two of the three NF7 boards I put together this weekend.
The tipoff was, I tried powering the board with no CPU in place, but
with the CPU fan plugged in.

Redoing the thermal paste (several times, in one case) until it is not
too much or too little & is applied evenly and not messed up when the
heatsink is put on, seems to solve the issue.

Craig advised me I could disable the Auto Shut Down, if absolutely
neccessary. Thanks, Craig! I'm going to keep it in the back of my
mind, but since I got them working just by redoing the thermal paste,
and being forced to get the paste just exactly correct seems like a
good thing anyway, I'll only use that disable option if it becomes
neccessary.

Thanks for all the help everyone, and I hope this helps someone else
in the same situation.

- Jim J.

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 02:35:53 -0600, Jim J
wrote:

Built a new NF7s system tonight, and it won't power on. Hit the power
switch, and everything comes on for about a second, and then back off
again. I have to turn it off at the power supply long enough for that
little light by the power switch connectors to go off. Then, when I
turn everything on , it will get power for about a second again. I've
tried a different power supply, different RAM (in every slot),
different CPU, swapped the reset switch to the power switch position,
reset the CMOS jumper, and tried it with every different power plug
plugged in, and removed.

Any ideas?

basic power problem BrianBloodaxe General 19 July 26th 04 08:48 PM
Questions about power use Purple Homebuilt PC's 8 July 4th 04 12:45 AM
How can I make motherboard to restart after power loss automatically? Amiran General 1 September 24th 03 11:35 PM
Power Surge David LeBrun General 44 September 12th 03 02:35 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM