FSB speed / Memory speed

Old November 10th 03, 04:36 PM
-

Default FSB speed / Memory speed

As some of you may be aware (and is not really relevant to this post), my
motherboard is unable to work at the FSB of 133 that it should be able to.
Running at 100Mhz causes no problems whatsoever.

My hardware store just advised me to set the CPU host frequency (the
equivalent of FSB in my AMIBIOS 3.31a) to a user-defined value of 115 and
then see what happens. My SDRAM DIMM modules have a speed of 133Mhz.

My problem is:

a) I'm not in front of the machine right now, but I don't think that it is
possible to change the FSB to a value of anything other than 100 or 133Mhz.
b) It would be unwise to do so anyway wouldn't it?

Basically, please correct me if I'm wrong, but when the FSB value is set to
100Mhz, the 133Mhz memory chips work at 100 to accomodate. Even if I could
change the FSB to 115, wouldn't the chips blow / not work because they
cannot work at 115Mhz or basically at any other rate than 100 or 133?

Old November 10th 03, 05:00 PM
Mike Walsh

- wrote:

As some of you may be aware (and is not really relevant to this post), my
motherboard is unable to work at the FSB of 133 that it should be able to.
Running at 100Mhz causes no problems whatsoever.

My hardware store just advised me to set the CPU host frequency (the
equivalent of FSB in my AMIBIOS 3.31a) to a user-defined value of 115 and
then see what happens. My SDRAM DIMM modules have a speed of 133Mhz.

My problem is:

a) I'm not in front of the machine right now, but I don't think that it is
possible to change the FSB to a value of anything other than 100 or 133Mhz.

Many motherboards allow you to use non-standard frequencies, either with jumpers or the BIOS.

b) It would be unwise to do so anyway wouldn't it?

No, not if you don't exceed the speed your hardware will run at.

Basically, please correct me if I'm wrong, but when the FSB value is set to
100Mhz, the 133Mhz memory chips work at 100 to accomodate. Even if I could
change the FSB to 115, wouldn't the chips blow / not work because they
cannot work at 115Mhz or basically at any other rate than 100 or 133?

No, the memory chips should work at any speed up to 133 Mhz.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old November 10th 03, 05:34 PM
Alien Zord

"-" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

The AMD data sheet for Duron model 8 specifies clock frequency as min. 50MHz
and max. 133MHz. So anything in between will do. PC133 SDRAM specs are the
same, 50 - 133 MHz. Most modern mobos have asynchronous buses, meaning CPU
and memory bus speeds can be set independently. In older designs memory
speed=FSB speed or possibly +/-33MHz.

Old November 10th 03, 07:57 PM
kony

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:36:08 -0000, "-" wrote:

As some of you may be aware (and is not really relevant to this post), my
motherboard is unable to work at the FSB of 133 that it should be able to.
Running at 100Mhz causes no problems whatsoever.

Generally it's good to mention what you're talking about, ie-
make/model/revision/chipset, etc.

My hardware store just advised me to set the CPU host frequency (the
equivalent of FSB in my AMIBIOS 3.31a) to a user-defined value of 115 and
then see what happens. My SDRAM DIMM modules have a speed of 133Mhz.

Umm, is this a KT133, not KT133A, chipset? They aren't capable of
133MHz FSB, contrary to the "133" in their name. You shouldn't be
trying to upgrade the CPU on such an old board to a 133MHz FSB
version. It's possible by running at 100MHz FSB and hacking the CPU's
multiplier, first unlocking the chip then changing the multiplier, but
IMHO, at this point in time it's better to start over, new
motherbaord/CPU/memory.

My problem is:

a) I'm not in front of the machine right now, but I don't think that it is
possible to change the FSB to a value of anything other than 100 or 133Mhz.
b) It would be unwise to do so anyway wouldn't it?

Depends on exactly what you're doing... given that you're asking,
you're new to overclocking and don't have the prerequisite knowledge
to troubleshoot the problems that might result, so until you can
answer your own question, yes, it would be unwise to change it to
anything other than 100MHz.

Basically, please correct me if I'm wrong, but when the FSB value is set to
100Mhz, the 133Mhz memory chips work at 100 to accomodate. Even if I could
change the FSB to 115, wouldn't the chips blow / not work because they
cannot work at 115Mhz or basically at any other rate than 100 or 133?

Yes, unless the BIOS offers an asynchronous, "+33" speed setting, the
memory will automatically run at same 100MHz as the FSB, it will be
fine doing that.

If you could change the FSB to 115MHz, the chips would be fine, but
you're likely to run into other problems, like hard drive corruption.
You could try 105MHz, but still you're losing performance, I think you
should return the CPU if possible, buy a newer board/CPU/memory. It's
the better longer-term investment anyway.

Dave
Old November 10th 03, 08:11 PM
Alien Zord

"kony" wrote in message

See the thread "Urgent processor help needed" dated 6.11.2003 at 21:58

Old November 10th 03, 08:40 PM
-

Generally it's good to mention what you're talking about, ie-
make/model/revision/chipset, etc.

Sorry:

Motherboard Make: ASROCK
Model: K7VT2
Version : 2.00
BIOS: AMIBIOS 3.31a
Chipset Model : ASRock Inc VT8366/A,VT8367 Apollo KT266/A,KT333 CPU to PCI
Bridge
Memory Modules 2x256MB 16x(16Mx8) SDRAM PC133U-333-542 (CL3 up to 133MHz)
(CL2 up to 100MHz)
AMD Duron 14.Ghz

Umm, is this a KT133, not KT133A, chipset? They aren't capable of
133MHz FSB, contrary to the "133" in their name. You shouldn't be
trying to upgrade the CPU on such an old board to a 133MHz FSB
version.

Erm, but its brand new! I guess the above means I have a KT333 - which I
guess means that I'm fine?

Depends on exactly what you're doing... given that you're asking,
you're new to overclocking and don't have the prerequisite knowledge
to troubleshoot the problems that might result, so until you can
answer your own question, yes, it would be unwise to change it to
anything other than 100MHz.

I'm not trying to overclock at all though! I'm merely trying to get the
speed of the processor to become 1.4Ghz and not 1.05Ghz. Its completely
unstable running at 133Mhz FSB when the clock speed is actually 1.4Ghz and
the computer store have told me to try 115Mhz to see what it does.

If you could change the FSB to 115MHz, the chips would be fine, but
you're likely to run into other problems, like hard drive corruption.

Really!? In an nutshell, how does that happen?!

You could try 105MHz, but still you're losing performance, I think you
should return the CPU if possible, buy a newer board/CPU/memory.

Hmm, I wondered if because I'm not getting the 1.4Ghz speed I asked for that
the shop should just give me a 1.8Ghz chip which I could run at a FSB speed
of 100Mhz which would give me effectively a 1.35Ghz processor, which I could
accept to put an end to all this crap.

Thanks for the comments.

Old November 10th 03, 11:24 PM
kony

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:40:46 -0000, "-" wrote:

Motherboard Make: ASROCK
Model: K7VT2
Version : 2.00
BIOS: AMIBIOS 3.31a
Chipset Model : ASRock Inc VT8366/A,VT8367 Apollo KT266/A,KT333 CPU to PCI
Bridge
Memory Modules 2x256MB 16x(16Mx8) SDRAM PC133U-333-542 (CL3 up to 133MHz)
(CL2 up to 100MHz)
AMD Duron 14.Ghz

Well then, i don't know. It is good to come right out with that
since I have nothing further, useful to add.

Erm, but its brand new! I guess the above means I have a KT333 - which I
guess means that I'm fine?

Yes in theory you are fine.

I'm not trying to overclock at all though! I'm merely trying to get the
speed of the processor to become 1.4Ghz and not 1.05Ghz. Its completely
unstable running at 133Mhz FSB when the clock speed is actually 1.4Ghz and
the computer store have told me to try 115Mhz to see what it does.

Yes, I understand now. I would tell the computer shop you want your
money back if it won't work properly. It should NOT be set to 115MHz.
I suspect you have either crap memory or power supply.

If you could change the FSB to 115MHz, the chips would be fine, but
you're likely to run into other problems, like hard drive corruption.

Really!? In an nutshell, how does that happen?!

Excessive bus speed throws off the IDE controller. It "can" help to
reduce the ATA mode or drop to PIO mode in those cases, but you SHOULD
NOT be fooling with that, it should work or you deserve your money
back for (whichever) defective component.

You could try 105MHz, but still you're losing performance, I think you
should return the CPU if possible, buy a newer board/CPU/memory.

Hmm, I wondered if because I'm not getting the 1.4Ghz speed I asked for that
the shop should just give me a 1.8Ghz chip which I could run at a FSB speed
of 100Mhz which would give me effectively a 1.35Ghz processor, which I could
accept to put an end to all this crap.

Thanks for the comments.

No, you don't want to run any chip at 100Mhz FSB or Memory, it's a
significant performance drop. You might review everything in the
motherboard manual and reset the CMOS to defaults. If a time-limit is
running out on returning anything I'd return (whatever) now, you
should not settle for 100MHz FSB on that board, nor even try 115MHz
FSB.

Dave

Old November 11th 03, 08:51 AM
Alien Zord

"-" wrote in message
. ..
As some of you may be aware (and is not really relevant to this post), my
motherboard is unable to work at the FSB of 133 that it should be able to.
Running at 100Mhz causes no problems whatsoever.

A few interesting facts:

AMD Duron Model 8 "Applebred" was released in Aug. 2003 as an Intel Celeron
competitor for use in third world countries only. It still does not appear
in the official AMD price list:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ComputingSolutions/0,,30_288_1274_3734^609,00.html
Its the first Duron with FSB of 266MHz and a programmable clock divisor
(unlocked multiplier).

ASRock K7V2T's latest BIOS is dated 12. March 2003. It precedes Applebred by
5 months. I suspect that at 133MHz its simply not setting up the processor
correctly and should you fit an Athlon XP you'd find the board working
perfectly. Your shop should be able to try this.

Old November 11th 03, 09:32 AM
-

A few interesting facts:

AMD Duron Model 8 "Applebred" was released in Aug. 2003 as an Intel

Celeron
competitor for use in third world countries only. It still does not appear
in the official AMD price list:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ComputingSolutions/0,,30_288_1274_3734^609,00.html
Its the first Duron with FSB of 266MHz and a programmable clock divisor
(unlocked multiplier).

ASRock K7V2T's latest BIOS is dated 12. March 2003. It precedes Applebred

by
5 months. I suspect that at 133MHz its simply not setting up the processor
correctly and should you fit an Athlon XP you'd find the board working
perfectly. Your shop should be able to try this.

Indeed - very interesting. That would explain it I guess. The shop are
trying to say that because I ordered these specific parts that they can't be
blamed if it doesn't work properly. However, because they never checked that
the machine was running at the speed of 1.4Ghz before they delivered it to
me, I feel that they haven't done their job properly since, for all we know,
the motherboard is faulty and just can't run at 133Mhz, which they should
have spotted, and they have admitted. Now I'm in a odd position - not
willing to try setting the FSB to a value inbetween 100 and 133 and the shop
insisting that I should just do it to test if an intermediate speed makes
the system more stable, which chances are with this possible faulty
motherboard / possible incompatible processor / BIOS combination won't work
anyway. This is so annoying - I'm sure they would have just fobbed off a
less techically minded customer with some load of old bull by now, which
wouldn't have been fair.

Old November 11th 03, 01:01 PM
-

ASRock K7V2T's latest BIOS is dated 12. March 2003. It precedes Applebred
by
5 months. I suspect that at 133MHz its simply not setting up the processor
correctly

Hmm, looking a bit further - the ASRock website specifically states on:

http://www.asrock.com/support/CPU_Su...port_K7VT2.htm

that the AMD Duron 1400Mhz (Morgan Applebred) runs at a FSB frquency of
266Mhz (ie should work at a FSB of 133Mhz).

Does this definitively mean therefore that the mobo is faulty? Should I go
straight back to the shop?

memory kony General 4 August 21st 03 12:12 AM
question about virtual memory takashi General 2 August 18th 03 12:37 PM
DDR400 Issues Mark \(UK\) General 4 July 29th 03 11:16 PM
Chaintech 7NIF2 motherboard - memory problems Wuahn General 1 July 26th 03 01:29 PM
will this memory fit into a KT400 mobo? fred.do General 3 June 24th 03 02:44 PM