Random reboot problems

Old August 7th 04, 05:24 AM
Cory

Default Random reboot problems

I am having a lot of problems with my system. I have been having problems
with the system randomly rebooting on me. I thought that it might be a
heat issue at first cause it was running a bit hot. I got a new Volcano 12
heatsink and I'm running at about 47-48 degrees (CPU temp) now but I'm
still having the reboot problems. I recently got new RAM as well because I
thought that might be causing the problem but that didn't help either.

My system is an XP3200, MSI KT6V-LSR MB, Mushkin PC-3200 512mb RAM, Raidmax
case with 420W power supply, eVGA FX5700 video card, MSI CD burner, WD 80GB
HDD.

I have updated the BIOS to the newest version and I have the newest version
of all of the drivers. Currently I am running the FSB at 100mhz so that I
can at least use the stupid thing. The reboots occur at different times.
Sometimes it happens right after I boot the system other times it happens
after it has been running for a bit. Usually it won't last longer than
about 10 minutes before it reboots. Many times it won't even make it to
Windows before it reboots. I have installed fresh copies of both Windows
and Linux and neither seems to fix the problem. If anyone could give me
some recommendations I would really appreciate it, otherwise this thing is
going for a long ride tied to the back of my car.
Old August 7th 04, 05:35 AM
JK

The first thing that comes to mind with random reboots is a power supply
problem or problem with the power going into the power supply. You did say
reboots, and not crashes or freezes? Those would be more typical of a heat
problem.Some areas have power problems during the summer peak demand periods. Do
you ever notice things like lights momentarily flickering or dimming?
Have you tried plugging the pc in elsewhere? I hope the pc is not on the same
circuit breakeer as an air conditioner.

Old August 7th 04, 06:37 AM
David Maynard

Cory wrote:

[...]

Have you looked in the system logs to see if there are any reported errors?

Old August 7th 04, 12:59 PM
Jim Wilson

I agree with the other reply to your problem...... I would suspect
the power supply.

There are some motherboards..... Soyo comes to mind, that have a BIOS
setting that will cause the system to either shut down or reboot if
the (CPU) temp is too high. In Soyo it's called ABR... Anti Burn
Regulator. It's a precautionary setting to save the CPU. The thing
is..... the end user can set the particular temp setting in the BIOS.
If that setting is too LOW your system could keep shutting down or
rebooting. (regardless of what else you do) Check your motherboard
manual to see if anything similar to that could be in play.

If not then the next likely suspect, in my opinion, would be the power
supply. You would need to swap out the power supply to eliminate it as
a potential problem. Even if it's new it could still be probematic.

BTW....... You aren't overclocking the system, are you? Obviously,
if you are, then set everything back to "normal" settings.

Good luck!

Old August 7th 04, 06:49 PM
Cory

Thank you for the advice. I have checked the BIOS settings and there is
an option for CPU critical Temperature but it is disabled. I also tried
plugging it into another outlet. After trying both of these things it
still reboots. It is rebooting and not freezing. There has been the
occasional lock up, but no more than I would normally expect.

If the system is just sitting there then I don't have a problem but as
soon as I try to install something or run a program it reboots, I can
usually run IE or check email without it rebooting but as soon as I do
something else it's done.

The power supply is new. Unfortunately I do not have another decent
power supply to swap it with. I have tried another 350W PS and it
didn't work either but I suspect that 350W isn't adequate, is it? Any
other ideas?
Thanks

BTW I am not overclocking the system, I have to underclock the friggin
thing to make it work at all

(Jim Wilson) wrote in
om:

Old August 7th 04, 07:18 PM
JK

"Many times it won't even make it to Windows before it reboots.
Your hard drive might have a short circuit in it? Since your symptoms sound
like it could be a power problem, there could be a defective power supply or
a short in the hard drive or elsewhere in the system. You could also try
changing the ide cable to the hard drive. Do you have anivirus software?
Could Windows be mucked up? Did you do any major hardware changes
without doing a clean install of Windows? Did you add programs then
uninstall them improperly? if you give us more background information
on what this system has been through, we might get some other ideas.

How old is the system? Have you defragmented the hard drive recently?
are your virtual memory settings reasonable?

Old August 8th 04, 02:44 PM
Martin dibb

Cory wrote in message ...
[...]

Your problem sound much like mine!!!

My PC has recently started rebooting itself at random.

I have removed all PCI cards and still the PC reboots by itself
several times a day. Here is my current spec:

Windows XP Pro
Lex BN790E M/Board
Antec 430W PSU (recently ugraded from a 300W PSU which I thought may
have been the cause, but the reboots still occur)
Athlon XP1800
ATI Rage AGP 16MB
Fujitsu 120MB HDD
Maxtor 40MB HDD
1 Pioneer A05 DVD Burner
1 CD-ROM R/RW Burner
I have tried two types of memory 2x256MB 133MHz SDRAM (Crucial memory)
or 1x512MB DDR 333 (Brand new, bought yesterday as I though this may
be the problem)

It doesn't seem to matter whether the PC has been off for several
hours or not, which rules out over heating problems (I think). I have
tried Memtest86 and the MS "Windows Memory Diagnostic" and neither
found any errors with either type of memory (Funnily enough, this may
just be coincidence but the PC didn't crash once during the memory
tests which took approx. 20 hours). The PC will even reboot in
Safemode, which must rule out driver issues (yes?). I have disabled
the Auto reboot in XP and get a blue screen showing different error
messages each time.

I can't understand what is causing it as nothing has changed in the
system for over a year.

I'm about to try a fresh installation of XP in desperation, could it
be an XP issue?

Mart
Old August 8th 04, 06:12 PM
JK

It might be an XP issue. If you get you registry mucked up, nasty things
can happen. It is hard to understand exactly how the registry works,
and to fix it if it is mucked up. It is also not so hard for important .dll
files to become lost or corrupted.

Old August 8th 04, 07:32 PM
Cory

I don't believe that this is an OS issue, in my case at least. This
happens when I am using XP and it also happens when I am using Linux. I
have done a clean install of both OS's on two different hard drives and
it happens on both. I think that this is a hardware issue. The
consensus here seems to be that it is a power supply issue, which does
make sense, I'm just not sure what I'm going to do to fix it.

Old August 8th 04, 07:51 PM
JK

Cory wrote:

I don't believe that this is an OS issue, in my case at least. This
happens when I am using XP and it also happens when I am using Linux.

You didn't mention that before. So it means you have a hardware problem.

have done a clean install of both OS's on two different hard drives and
it happens on both. I think that this is a hardware issue. The
consensus here seems to be that it is a power supply issue, which does
make sense, I'm just not sure what I'm going to do to fix it.

You did say that your case temperatures and cpu temperatures are low,
and that the computer is being run in an air conditioned room? Also
that an auto reboot setting in bios is disabled?

It is probably a power problem, but not necessarily a power supply problem.
It could be the power supply, but it could also be a short circuit in a
component,
or problems with the power coming out of the wall socket. Did the problems
start before the hot weather season? Try taking out everything extra in the
system.
Take out the optical drives. It is a pity that you don't have a spare hard drive

you could try. Perhaps you could place your hard drive in another pc and see
if the system show any ill effects when you try to access it many times?

random reboot Julien Rossignol General 8 May 8th 04 07:06 AM
IC7-MAX3 - P4 2.6 - Hyperthread cause PC to random reboot SpeedyGonzales Overclocking 1 November 18th 03 01:43 AM
ABIT IC7-MAX3 with Intel 2.6Ghz - Random reboot problem SpeedyGonzales Overclocking 9 November 17th 03 12:26 AM
Random hangs on KT133 and KT333 with raid kony General 5 September 15th 03 09:46 AM
Random reboot on asus a7n8x deluxe Bob Overclocking AMD Processors 2 June 24th 03 09:51 PM