Screwed up CD-R?

Old February 28th 04, 05:48 AM
Bruce E. St.John

Default Screwed up CD-R?

I purchased a Dell 4600i that came with one CD-R drive and one CD-RW drive.
The CD-RW drive seems to be working ok but the CD-R drive won't, or can't
read a CD disk automatically, or manually (never has) when I insert a CD
disk and click on the CD-R drive icon. A dialog box pops up and tells me to
insert a disk. Why dosen't the drive recognize that there is a CD already
inserted and waiting? Also, when I click the properties option to see how
much space is available, it shows zero even with a CD inserted. I've tried
to configure the drive by highlighting the icon and clicking on the
properties tab but there isn't any option offered that I can see that would
enable me to correct the problem. What am I doing wrong?

12/17/03, System: Dell Dimension 4600 (tag No. DFBR 141), Pent 4, CPU 2.66
GHz, Win XP Home OS, w/256 MB RAM, Samsung SC-148A DVD/CD-R & Samsung
CD-R/RW SW-252S. Thanks.

paw1024

Old February 28th 04, 01:14 PM
Peter van der Goes

[...]

I guess this is an obvious question, but have you contacted Dell support? It
sounds like a defective drive, especially if it has never worked, and your
unit appears to be in warranty. T'were me, I'd be looking for Dell to
replace the drive.

Screwed my Hard Drive? HereWeGoYetAgain General 10 January 9th 05 05:13 PM
My monitor is screwed up. Help! Bill General 9 July 8th 04 04:28 PM
haha I'm so screwed.. booster Homebuilt PC's 11 December 9th 03 10:59 PM
laptop woes db General 5 August 13th 03 11:06 PM
I screwed up bigtime Michael Zentner Overclocking AMD Processors 2 June 28th 03 04:56 AM