Vista and 3rd party firewall

Old December 7th 07, 01:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

Default Vista and 3rd party firewall

Just wondering what you guys are using as your 3rd party firewall on
Vista (excluding Vista's own) ? Does it behave nicely with Vista?
Old December 7th 07, 02:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_2_]

"RnR" wrote in message
news
Just wondering what you guys are using as your 3rd party firewall on
Vista (excluding Vista's own) ? Does it behave nicely with Vista?

Alright.

At the risk of being flamed, I'm only going to offer the opinion that a 3rd
party firewall isn't needed - especially if you're behind a router.

The firewall in Vista (in my limited experience so far) is more aggressive
and apparent than the passive (incoming) firewall in WinXP.

Couple that with the already legendary Vista UAC controls (if left enabled),
and you've got a fairly obnoxious and secure system by default (again, if
behind a router).

Here's the official Redmond line on the Vista firewall:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro.../firewall.mspx

RnR, you may have specific reason(s) that you'd want to disable the native
VF and, if so, I'd imagine that ZA and the other usual suspects are out
there that will be compatible with Vista.

Given that more is learned about the new OS every day, I reserve the right
to be completely wrong and or FOS. But that's my opinion at the
moment.......

Stew

Old December 7th 07, 04:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 09:08:19 -0500, "Tom Scales"

Old December 7th 07, 04:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 07:49:35 -0600, "S.Lewis"
wrote:

"RnR" wrote in message
news
[...]

Stew, I asked at the risk of starting a flame by the NON regulars
(not wanting one of course and that the regulars here know better). I
am really not asking for the best firewall but rather what people use
with Vista. I have read today about Comodo 3 and another firewall I
never heard of that works with Vista. I suppose ZA works with Vista
tho having just dumped it, I'm a little reluctant to return to it when
I go to Vista but if I have to, I guess I will.

BTW, I am behind a router but I just want to be sure I'm getting 2 way
protection (inbound and outbound). I'm using an old dell "g" router
that works fine for my wireless home network but I'm not sure how well
it protects me in either direction. I suppose I could disable my
software firewall and test my router/pc at Shields Up but I'm not sure
how accurate their results are but I suppose it would at least make me
aware of my vunerability with or without my software firewall.

Thanks again Stew for your advice and efforts earlier !!
Old December 7th 07, 06:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Mangler

On Dec 7, 10:56 am, RnR wrote:
On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 07:49:35 -0600, "S.Lewis"
wrote:

news

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...features/detai...

[...]

Thanks again Stew for your advice and efforts earlier !! - Hide quoted text -

RNR,

I use Kaspersky's firewall on my vista machine as I am on the go an
therefore arent always behind a good router. It is working fine for
me.
Old December 7th 07, 08:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Kevin

"RnR" wrote in message
news
Just wondering what you guys are using as your 3rd party firewall on
Vista (excluding Vista's own) ? Does it behave nicely with Vista?

Speaking from experience, Zone Alarm Pro does not, and according to Zone
Alarm, will not be configured to run under Vista. Naturally, just two
months before I got my new Inspiron 530, I shelled out about fifty bucks for
a two-year renewal of my ZA Pro subscription.

The free edition of Zone Alarm does work just fine with Vista.

Old December 7th 07, 08:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 09:29:58 -0800 (PST), Mangler
wrote:

On Dec 7, 10:56 am, RnR wrote:
On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 07:49:35 -0600, "S.Lewis"
wrote:

"RnR" wrote in message
news Just wondering what you guys are using as your 3rd party firewall on
[...]

Thanks Mangler for that info. Many years ago I used Kaspersky but I
forgot the reason I dropped them but I will consider that when I go to
Vista. I know the Kaspersky engine is (not sure if it is the firewall
or antivirus tho) is used in some others.

Thank you Mangler for your help !
Old December 7th 07, 08:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 11:03:35 -0800, "Kevin" wrote:

"RnR" wrote in message
news
Just wondering what you guys are using as your 3rd party firewall on
Vista (excluding Vista's own) ? Does it behave nicely with Vista?

Speaking from experience, Zone Alarm Pro does not, and according to Zone
Alarm, will not be configured to run under Vista. Naturally, just two
months before I got my new Inspiron 530, I shelled out about fifty bucks for
a two-year renewal of my ZA Pro subscription.

The free edition of Zone Alarm does work just fine with Vista.

Sorry to hear that Kevin ($50) but thank you for helping me !!
Old December 8th 07, 02:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Zack[_2_]

On Dec 7, 4:50 am, RnR wrote:
Just wondering what you guys are using as your 3rd party firewall on
Vista (excluding Vista's own) ? Does it behave nicely with Vista?

I can confirm that the free edition of Zone Alarm runs
well on Vista. (I barely tried it though.) With XP I used
Kasperski and felt that it was among the best solutions.

But:

1. You dont want to run two at the same time, of course.
Thus the 3rd party is a replacement - is it better, for Vista
in particular? Even when they get it to run under Vista, this
is a rather different system now (Vista is), and Id really want
a native security application, one that is written for it. I dont
really know how much this matters, but I would certainly be
concerned with a firewall written for a very different security
model that is then made run under this one.
2. If you are behind the router, I would readily agree that you
dont need anything other than Vista's firewall.

My solution would be to use Vista's own until a Vista-native
firewall is available. (Or, until it is certain that the ones that
are 'made to run' under it actually do their job well.)
Old December 8th 07, 04:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Star@*.*

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 09:56:21 -0600, RnR wrote:

[...]

I use COMODO 2.4 with XP and am now using COMODO 3. You will get
several popup's (information only) when you first run an application
and the FW learns about how the program operates. Also the FW will
study the current programs on your machine after install and set up
its database.

I had Spyware Doctor on one machine and did a uninstall with COMODO
running and had 43 warnings which required action from the user. In
order to do the uninstall I needed to allow the warnings. I then went
to the control panel where there is a waiting your review area where I
needed to remove the approval of the warnings. In a way this is good
and bad. The good is that you are given a second chance to
approve/disapprove a change. The bad is it is time consuming.

OOPs
Thank god this didn't post the first time.
On WinXP Pro system.
COMODO 3 prevented the posting but gave no warning. The only warning
came from AGENT when I was shutting it off.
Tried posting to other news groups and no luck.
Removed COMODO 3 and reinstalled COMODO 2.4 and things appear to be
normal. (What ever normal is under Windows)
With all the problems I am having with Vista I think it time to remove
COMODO 3 from that machine.

Art