ML350 D2 CPU upgrade question

Old April 23rd 07, 07:58 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Steve Kovack Sr.

Default ML350 D2 CPU upgrade question

I was given a Compaq ML350 D2 (first generation) server by a friend. At
this time it has a single 866Mhz/133Mhz Slot1 P3 in it, and I was hoping
to be able to upgrade it to a pair of 1Ghz/133Mhz Slot1 P3s. I have the
latest BIOS available applied. Has anyone ever been able to get a 1Ghz
CPU to work in it? I know that if I had the D4 (socket 370) version, it
would work. Thanks in advance for any info/help in this matter.

--
When replying remove "-nospam-" from email address.
Old April 23rd 07, 06:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Steve Kovack Sr." wrote
I was given a Compaq ML350 D2 (first generation) server by a friend. At
this time it has a single 866Mhz/133Mhz Slot1 P3 in it, and I was hoping
to be able to upgrade it to a pair of 1Ghz/133Mhz Slot1 P3s.

No can do.
The ML350 'G1' has 2 models - one with processors below 1Ghz, and one for
1Ghz processors.
Anything above 1Ghz was a G2 or above.
IIRC, the 1Ghz machines were even a different shade of grey.

I have the latest BIOS available applied.
Has anyone ever been able to get a 1Ghz CPU to work in it?

I'm 98% sure it will not work. Maybe LC will chip in with the other 2%

I know that if I had the D4 (socket 370) version, it
would work.

Indeed. That's because the 'D4' model was only ever release with 1Ghz procs
in.

Thanks in advance for any info/help in this matter.

Old April 23rd 07, 07:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Jez T" wrote in message

"Steve Kovack Sr." wrote
I was given a Compaq ML350 D2 (first generation) server by a friend. At
this time it has a single 866Mhz/133Mhz Slot1 P3 in it, and I was hoping
to be able to upgrade it to a pair of 1Ghz/133Mhz Slot1 P3s.

No can do.
The ML350 'G1' has 2 models - one with processors below 1Ghz, and one for
1Ghz processors.
Anything above 1Ghz was a G2 or above.
IIRC, the 1Ghz machines were even a different shade of grey.

I have the latest BIOS available applied.
Has anyone ever been able to get a 1Ghz CPU to work in it?

I'm 98% sure it will not work. Maybe LC will chip in with the other 2%

I know that if I had the D4 (socket 370) version, it
would work.

Indeed. That's because the 'D4' model was only ever release with 1Ghz
procs in.

Thanks in advance for any info/help in this matter.

I have never worked with the ML350's ... so I cannot give any personal
input.

Howerver, those prox are fairly cheap these days. Get one and see if it
works. The only difference between an 866 and a 1000 is the clock multiplier
(and CPU Idenitification String). But, if the SystemROM doesnt have the chip
characteristics in its CPU Table, it may be mis-identified, or not
recognised at all. If you DO try a 1000/133/256/1.5 chip, be sure that the
jumper settins are not setup for a specific speed, if possible. That is, do
not specifiy a mulitplier, but go with AUTO if its an option.

Also, another difference between the G1 and G2 wasnt just the speed, it was
the chip-package form factor. G1 was a Slot1 package, while the G2 was a
FCPGA (socket370) package. Also worked with Tualatin CPU's.

- LC

Old April 24th 07, 04:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

I have never worked with the ML350's ... so I cannot give any personal
input.

Howerver, those prox are fairly cheap these days. Get one and see if it
works. The only difference between an 866 and a 1000 is the clock
multiplier (and CPU Idenitification String). But, if the SystemROM doesnt
have the chip characteristics in its CPU Table, it may be mis-identified,
or not recognised at all. If you DO try a 1000/133/256/1.5 chip, be sure
that the jumper settins are not setup for a specific speed, if possible.
That is, do not specifiy a mulitplier, but go with AUTO if its an option.

Also, another difference between the G1 and G2 wasnt just the speed, it
was the chip-package form factor. G1 was a Slot1 package, while the G2 was
a FCPGA (socket370) package. Also worked with Tualatin CPU's.

- LC

I can also offer that I upgraded the 866Mhz prox in my ML370 to 1Ghz, and
the machine has never worked right since. it would refuse to boot, and then
when it finally DID boot, the second processor exceeds the thermal threshold
(68C)often and reboots the box. YMMV.

Im going to put the 866's back in, and put the 1G's in my Netfinity 5600
(exchange server).

- LC

Old April 24th 07, 11:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

"Nut Cracker" wrote in message
t...

[...]

LC,
That's unusual unless it's the fan speed or heat is playing a role, though
that would not cause the initial boot problems. That 370 G1 comes in two
flavors of power supply, one with 3 smaller plug-in units and one that is a
single large supply. I have 4 of those units and one was factory stock dual
1 gig cpu's, the others I upgraded to dual 1 gigs with NO issues. It seems
like the three power supply unit fans run the same speed all the time. The
single power supply units have built in proportional fan speed control so it
regulates itself thermally.

Could it be possible there is a switch setting or something simple you
missed causing your issue. I could look at one and give you the switch
settings that was on a factory 1 gig unit if that would help.
Phil

Old April 25th 07, 12:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Phil" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Thanks for the offer on that, Phil. If you could do that for me, i would
appreciate it.

When the system reboots, I hear the fan increase in speed, distinctly, 2 or
3 times. The CPU (sensor 4) hits 68C, and the box reboots.

This only occurs when the system is under a heavy load.

- LC

Old April 25th 07, 02:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

"NuT CrAcKeR" wrote in message
t...
"Phil" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Open mouth, insert foot ! I was going to put off looking until tomorrow, but
tomorrows seem to get lost.

Ok, I just looked and here is what I found.

Switch #2, a 6 position switch located by the VRM, has #3 on and the rest
off.

Switch #?? (not labeled on board or cover) an 8 position switch near the
edge of the board facing the front of the unit.
#3 and #8 is on and the rest off.

Label on cabinet top states the unit auto detects the cpu speed for upgrade.

Now, something I should have noted earlier, do you have the baffle in place.
That will allow it to heat up too much if it is missing, know that for a
fact. (part number on baffle is 161486-001)

Something else that may or could be a problem is the chassis fan itself. If
I recall that unit, along with the old 800's and 1600's had two flavors of
chassis fans. Only difference is speed, the higher speed fans were for the
dual processor option. If it had two 866's, I would think that would be no
problem. I can get you that part number but I'll have to take the fan loose
to see it, it was not obvious.

To me, it sounds like either the baffle is missing or the fan just isn't
moving enough air.

Note, that baffle is nothing more than a shaped foam on the back of a hard
black paperish like cardboard that restricts ALL the air to flow straight
through the two cpu's and by the ram.

If you suspect fan is the slow version, I can check my number but not until
tomorrow or late tonight. I also have a few more of the 370's that I wanted
to upgrade from dual 600 to 1 gig. I have the cpu's but perhaps I need to
check fan numbers anyway.

Those settings I gave you are from a factory dual 1 gig unit.
If your baffle is in place, hang tight and I'll get you the fan number, let
me know.
Phil

#3 and #8 is on and the rest off.

[...]

On Google I found that baffle for 35 bucks, ebay had one 6 bucks and 8
shipping.

Phil

#3 and #8 is on and the rest off.

[...]

Damn, this is rambling on .... but,
Another thought, could you have a problem with the thermal compound or
grease from the cpu to the heatsink. If the heatsink was removed at some
point from the cpu that could be the problem too. When changing the cpu's on
the heatsinks, they (both cpu and heatsink) need to be cleaned and use new
"thermal" grease between them.
This just "aint normal", it should work !!

Phil

Old April 25th 07, 04:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

Nutcracker,
Damn, this is rambling on .... but,
Another thought, could you have a problem with the thermal compound or
grease from the cpu to the heatsink. If the heatsink was removed at some
point from the cpu that could be the problem too. When changing the cpu's
on
the heatsinks, they (both cpu and heatsink) need to be cleaned and use new
"thermal" grease between them.
This just "aint normal", it should work !!

Phil

Phil,

Im just going to reply to the last 3 messages down here ...

I have the baffle. Picked it up off eBay a year and a half ago. Perhaps
there is a cable, or some such thing that is impeding airflow to CPU2? I
will look into that too.

The HeatSink's have never been removed from the processor packages.

I will check the jumpers the next time I have the box offline for
maintenance.

I seem to recall that there was a 'thermal upgrade kit' available for this
box, and was in fact required to go from 733 to 1000 (it started out as a
733, not 866 as previously mentioned). Maybe it was just a larger rear-fan
.... I dont know. I havent looked very hard for one, but some of my earlier
searches didnt turn much up.

The long and short off all this is that this whole endeavor may be moot. I
am considering taking an image of the ML370 and getting that running on a
DL380. Its basically the same machine, as you know, with the primary
difference being that its smaller by 4U, holds 2 fewer drives (without the
expanded drive cage in the 5.25 slots), has one less banger in the RPS, and
has fewer slots in the I/O riser board. But, even with those differences, my
380 is a better machine since it has larger drives, an SA5302/64 instead of
an SA3200. Memory is comparable, and it has also been upgraded to Dual 1Ghz,
but without the goofy behavior issues.

Should be quieter, use less power, give me more physical space, and more
storage.

Thanks for all your thoughts on this

- LC