Q: XFX 7950 GT (PCI-e)..

Old December 26th 06, 11:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Peter Lykkegaard

Default Q: XFX 7950 GT (PCI-e)..

Hi

Would a XFX 7950 GT be able to run in a MIS K8 NEO4-FI mb equipped with an
Athlon64
4000+?
PSU is a SeaSonic S12 500w

I bought a Sapphire X1950Pro for this rig but it crashed and is RMA'ed
Other ideas?
What about the ASUS EN7950GT?

tia/Peter

--
Hi! I'm a .signature *virus*!
Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!

Old December 26th 06, 11:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Geoff

Default XFX 7950 GT (PCI-e)..

I bought a Sapphire X1950Pro for this rig but it crashed

You mean it is incompatible or defective hardware or ?

-g

Old December 27th 06, 12:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Peter Lykkegaard

Geoff wrote:
I bought a Sapphire X1950Pro for this rig but it crashed

You mean it is incompatible or defective hardware or ?

I'd suppose is was/is defective - just wondering
I have a Sapphire X1900GT running on the same type of board in another rig
without probs

- Peter

Old December 27th 06, 10:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

The Sapphire X1950Pro base version(not the ultimate) is known to have
cooling problems. Check out the reviews on newegg, almost all are panning
the card hands down. You can get around the cooling problem by cranking up
the fan speed with ATT. This will keep the card from crashing the system.
But it will sound like a leaf blower.

Suggest getting an alternative X1950Pro from HIS, etc. The cooling is
correct and the fan doesn't need to be cranked to 100%.

Old December 27th 06, 11:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Peter Lykkegaard

m wrote:

The Sapphire X1950Pro base version(not the ultimate) is known to have
cooling problems.

I know - the card is RMA'ed at the shop

Suggest getting an alternative X1950Pro from HIS, etc. The cooling is
correct and the fan doesn't need to be cranked to 100%.

I was thinking putting a bit extra in and go for the XFX 7950 GT instead
If the mb, cpu and psu is able to support it

MIS K8 NEO4-FI
Athlon64 4000+?
SeaSonic S12 500w

Would you recommend the X1950Pro (from another manufacturer) above the XFX
7950 GT ?

Thanks/Peter

Old December 28th 06, 06:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

I can't recommend as I have no special knowledge in the GPU department. I
recently had the Sapphire card problems on my box and replaced it with the
HIS Iceq3 version, it's worked out of the box since it's gone in with no
black screen problems like the Sapphire card. The X1950Pro cards seem to be
the sweet spot in the $200 range. There are now 512MB versions available
for an extra $50-$70. I suggest checking the GPU comparison charts on
TomsHardware to compare the X1950Pro to the 7950GT to see if it's worth the
extra cost(I am assuming the 7950GT is more expensive).

Good luck.

Old December 28th 06, 07:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Peter Lykkegaard

m wrote:

I can't recommend as I have no special knowledge in the GPU
department.

It's ok
What brand of PSU are you using for your own rig?
Could give me a pointer

I'll look through reviews for the XFX 7950GT and see what kind of PSU/mb
being used as test rig

I recently had the Sapphire card problems on my box and
replaced it with the HIS Iceq3 version, it's worked out of the box
since it's gone in with no black screen problems like the Sapphire
card.

Nice to hear
HIS is not that common in Denmark, but I'll have a look anyway

The X1950Pro cards seem to be the sweet spot in the $200
range. There are now 512MB versions available for an extra $50-$70.

Ahh thanks for the update

I suggest checking the GPU comparison charts on TomsHardware to
compare the X1950Pro to the 7950GT to see if it's worth the extra
cost(I am assuming the 7950GT is more expensive).

The NVidia card is indeed more expensive approx 2300 DKK instead of 1500 DKK
for the ATI thing

I have checked the chart earlier
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html

Looking at the 1600x1200 solution
For HL2 and Prey it's just about the same
Oblivion walks from 60 to 66 fps
3DMark06 runs from 940 to 1517

Good luck.

- Peter

Old December 30th 06, 12:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
johns

Would you recommend the X1950Pro (from another manufacturer) above the XFX
7950 GT ?

I would not have another XFX card for any reason.
They are known for selling refurbs and restocks
as new cards. Of course they will guarantee the
card is new in the box, for just a little bit extra.
I would not doubt one bit that you get your RMA
back, and it is still broke. Deal with eVGA, or
BFG.

johns

Old December 30th 06, 01:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Peter Lykkegaard

johns wrote:

I would not doubt one bit that you get your RMA
back, and it is still broke.

I RMA'ed a Sapphire card and the card is not yet 14 days old and it'll be
send back for a refund
Only problem is to decide for a another (new) card

- Peter

Old December 31st 06, 05:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Power Supply: Antec Smart Power 450

There are threads on the Sapphire forums about this and that power supply
and what you really need. Some terribly outrageous claims that you
ABSOLUTELY need enertec 600W+ power supply and such nonsense. Perhaps if
you have 8 drives in your system and other things hanging off the power
supply.

But all I have is an E6400, one SATA2 drive, one DVD Drive and of course the
Video Card. The video card draws in the neighborhood of 200W and that
leaves another ~250W for the MB, processor and drives. Seems OK to me...but
I could be wrong.