ISA card with only PCI slots

Old October 27th 05, 06:52 PM

Default ISA card with only PCI slots

I need to upgrade one of our computers, but it uses an old ISA card
(communicating with a piece of lab equipment).

Obviously I can't easily buy a new machine with ISA slots, only PCI
slots. Is there some kind of adapter that I can get to convert a PCI
slot to an ISA slot?

Any help would be great as I search around. Thanks.

Ed

Old October 27th 05, 10:00 PM
Paul

In article . com,
wrote:

I need to upgrade one of our computers, but it uses an old ISA card
(communicating with a piece of lab equipment).

Obviously I can't easily buy a new machine with ISA slots, only PCI
slots. Is there some kind of adapter that I can get to convert a PCI
slot to an ISA slot?

Any help would be great as I search around. Thanks.

Ed

There are still companies making motherboards with ISA slots.
I don't know anything about this company, so caveat emptor.
You never know what kind of BIOS comes with a board like this.

http://www.ibase-i.com.tw/MB865_700.jpg

It looks like the trick there, is a Winbond bridge chip of
some sort, that converts from PCI to ISA.

It could be the W83628F on this page that does the conversion.
http://www.winbond.com/e-winbondhtm/partner/b_2_d_3.htm

Using W83628 as a search term, may unearth other products
that use the Winbond chip, to support ISA cards.

The general problem with conversion, is mechanical. I have
seen a couple of concept products, to convert a slot on
a computer from one standard to another. The problem is,
that only leaves room for a low profile card to plug into
the top of the adapter card. Since most cards that people would
want to reuse, would be expensive full function, full size
cards, that kind of converter is useless.

Another form factor, is to have a piece of flex cable coming out
of the adapter device. Then, the user has to figure out a way to
gain access to the faceplate of the target card, and also a
way to mechanically secure the card, as it flops around on the
end of a flex cable.

If you can think of a mechanical concept that leaves the faceplate
accessable, securely mounts the card, and leaves room for a
conversion IC, you'll be a rich inventor!

Paul
Old October 27th 05, 11:29 PM
MCheu

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:56:17 -0500, philo wrote:

wrote:
I need to upgrade one of our computers, but it uses an old ISA card
(communicating with a piece of lab equipment).

Obviously I can't easily buy a new machine with ISA slots, only PCI
slots. Is there some kind of adapter that I can get to convert a PCI
slot to an ISA slot?

Any help would be great as I search around. Thanks.

Ed

I did see an adaptor once but it was expensive.
I'd just get a mobo with an ISA slot...
You can still get them and it would be easier that trying to
locate that adaptor

Modern ISA motherboards (ie. one that accepts the latest CPUs and has
at least one ISA slot) tend to be quite expensive too. With so few
companies doing them, and so few people buying them, the whole
"economy of scale" thing just doesn't come into it anymore, and jacks
up the price quite a bit -- that's if you can find someplace that even
sells them.

That said, it'd probably be easier to locate such a motherboard than
the adapter.

Of course, if you don't need to upgrade too far up the food chain, you
might be able to get hold of an old PII or PIII machine by hunting
used computer shops or perhaps even doing a bit of checking around
various other departments of your organization. Obviously, that'd be
considerably cheaper.
Thanks.

MCheu
Old October 27th 05, 11:33 PM
Spajky

http://www.costronic.com/
--
Regards , SPAJKY ®
mail addr. @ my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com
Old October 28th 05, 03:54 AM
listener

wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to upgrade one of our computers, but it uses an old ISA card
(communicating with a piece of lab equipment).

Obviously I can't easily buy a new machine with ISA slots, only PCI
slots. Is there some kind of adapter that I can get to convert a PCI
slot to an ISA slot?

Any help would be great as I search around. Thanks.

Ed

You might want to look at the following motherboard. I don't have one
myself but it sounds like it might not be too bad an upgrade and still work
with the slower lab machine.
http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...7210/P4SCA.cfm

Old October 28th 05, 06:30 AM
Ken Maltby

wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to upgrade one of our computers, but it uses an old ISA card
(communicating with a piece of lab equipment).

Obviously I can't easily buy a new machine with ISA slots, only PCI
slots. Is there some kind of adapter that I can get to convert a PCI
slot to an ISA slot?

Any help would be great as I search around. Thanks.

Ed

It is most likely that there is a PCI card that would provide
the same communication with the piece of lab equipment. Have
you contacted the maker of the equipment? Even if it were
something made "in-house" it would use a standard interface,
RS-(something) most probably, but some standard that would
work with the chips in use at that time.

Luck;
Ken