PROMPT Configuration Adcive Needed - Please Help...

Old April 10th 04, 12:48 AM
Amit L.

Default PROMPT Configuration Adcive Needed - Please Help...

Hi to all,

I need your propt help in order to get to a quick decision regarding two
offers for a desktop PC configuration I have got. The offers are to expire
in a few days.
Both configurations are basically the same, with some marked differences to
follow. The price is the same as long as I get the decision quickly.

My most important requirements from a PC a
- High Hardware Reliability and good Software compatibility with windows XP
Pro (and linux to a lesser extent - I don't know what I'll install 2 years
for now)
- They are supposed to serve me for 3 years at least
- Good performance overall
- Display - Good 2D capability with the capability to provide the most
accurate and sharp image (if display cards are of matter for this sake)
- Highly reliable ethernet

Proposal 1
-----------
- M.B.: DFI PS83-BL
M.B. Specs:
http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pro...YPE=MB&SITE=US
- Intel P4 2.8GHz, 512KB Cache / HT 800 MHz
- Geforce 4MX 440 64MB, MF: Innovision (*not integrated on board*)
- Midi Tower 300W
- CDROM (x52) + CDRW (52x32x52), M.F. - Liteon

Proposal 2
-----------
- M.B.: Intel 'Bayfield' Desktop Board D865BGF
MB Specs: http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bf/
- Intel P4 3.0GHz, 1MB Cache / HT 800 MHz
- Extreme Graphics 2 Display Adapter (*integrated on board*)
- Midi Tower 400W
- CDROM (x52) + CDRW (52x32x52), M.F. - LG

Common
----------
All the regular staff, BUT I'm allowed to pick different brands for the
following parts (price being the same):
- Seagate of WD HD 120GB + 8MB Cache (Which is better?)
- 2x256 (512MB Total) Dual Channel DDR/400 MHz. M.F.: Kingston OR Samsong
(Which is better?)

If you like one configuration better, please specify why - I'm already
comfused enough... (-:

THANKS A LOT!!!

Amit

Old April 11th 04, 12:46 AM
CBFalconer

"Amit L." wrote:

I need your propt help in order to get to a quick decision
regarding two offers for a desktop PC configuration I have got.
The offers are to expire in a few days. Both configurations are
basically the same, with some marked differences to follow. The
price is the same as long as I get the decision quickly.

My most important requirements from a PC a
- High Hardware Reliability and good Software compatibility with windows XP

The most essential reliability feature is ECC memory. Without
that everything else is a crapshoot.

--
Chuck F ) )
http://cbfalconer.home.att.net USE worldnet address!

Old April 11th 04, 01:40 AM
kony

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 01:48:34 +0200, "Amit L."
wrote:

[...]

Well I don't really like either... Along similar lines to those
configurations, I'd get the Intel motherboard, add a video card, except
that this Intel board doesn't appear to have an AGP slot, so that's a
severe limitation. I'd also insist that the power supply be a name-brand,
not a generic that "came with case".

For a cheap "get a year's use out of it" system, either might be
acceptable, but for a system you want to use for 2-3 years or more it
would be worthwhile to buy a system based around a different Intel or an
Asus motherboard, with AGP slot, and AGP video card of suitable speed for
your needs (Geforce4MX would be fast enough but a more expensive FX series
(5600 or higher) or Radeon video card may provide sharper graphics).

LG & Liteone both make decent optical drives, it wouldn't be a
consideration to me. I'd go with the Samsung memory but Kingston is ok
too, particularly for stock speed, no overclocking. Those are just the
memory brands though, not revealing of which product tier (value or
performance series) from either manufacturer. Again for stock speed on a
pre-built system all you need to be concerned with is that it works, tests
stabily for at least 24 hours with http://www.memtest86.com ... very
important to extensively test the system soon after arrival, before
changing anything and before too much time elapses, which could make
recourse with the seller more difficult.