OpenGL problems with 9600Pro

Old November 8th 03, 09:05 PM
Rockin Ronnie

Default OpenGL problems with 9600Pro

Over a month ago my son tried to install a demo which I believe was as
OpenGL demo game. Since then, and I was using current Cats at the time, I
have lost OpenGL. Every OpenGL game I have, now gives the same error "cannot
open OpenGL subsystem" or something to that effect. Or, the game just
doesn't start.

I am now using 3.8s. It and no version in the past month or so have worked.
I have tried all the so-called "fixes" (editing win.ini, replacing the
opengl32.dll file etc.) in the OpenGL forums but nothing works.

So, am now faced with the prospect of reinstalling WinXP since, I believe, a
fresh reinstall would correct the possible Windows system files that have
somehow become corrupted.

However, could I repair the Windows XP installation using Recovery Console
and would this avoid having to reinstall everything?

Unless anyone out there has any ideas?

Ron

Old November 8th 03, 10:51 PM
Shawk

"Rockin Ronnie" wrote in message
[...]

You could also do a repair installation of XP by running that option from
the XP CD.

If you do use recovery console it takes you back to the PC state at which
the recovery point was made. Any changes you have made since would be lost.
HTH. Shawk.

Old November 9th 03, 05:30 AM
Kent_Diego

have lost OpenGL. Every OpenGL game I have, now gives the same error
"cannot
open OpenGL subsystem" or something to that effect. Or, the game just
doesn't start.

Try copying opengl32.dll into the directory with game.exe. Also StartRun
dxdaig and see what happens. You may need to re-install DirectX 9b.

-Kent

Old November 9th 03, 06:23 AM
peter

XP REPAIR

Boot from the CD or you can insert the CD while at the windows desktop but
when the setup screen appears, exit setup and reboot. If your system is set
to be able to boot from the CD, it should detect the disk and give a brief
message, during the boot up, if you wish to boot from the CD press any key.

Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
using the Recovery console.

The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
on, follow the screens.

peter