Video card blocking pci slots.

Old June 21st 07, 01:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Kevin Weaver

Default Video card blocking pci slots.

My new 8800 GTS Is huge. It's blocking one of my pci slots. With 3 total on
the MB And one being used, I have just one left which I'm going to use
shortly. I take it if I were to remove the fan and use some heat sink-fan
combo the warranty will be void. Am I correct ? The size is way over kill.

Any help with this problem ?

TIA...

Old June 21st 07, 02:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
don't look[_2_]

Correct. Void.But what choice do you have? Who's going to tell them you
switched heatsinks when you can just replace the original if you need to?

et...

Old June 21st 07, 02:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Slap

"Kevin Weaver" wrote in message
et...
My new 8800 GTS Is huge. It's blocking one of my pci slots. With 3 total
on

The size is way over kill.

Any help with this problem ?

It's not oversized. Engineered to perfection it is. I'd not touch it.

Old June 21st 07, 02:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Kevin Weaver

I don't think I will, just yet.

But I still think it blocking a slot is dumb. They should re-think that
idea.

Old June 21st 07, 03:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Kevin Weaver wrote:
I don't think I will, just yet.

But I still think it blocking a slot is dumb. They should re-think that
idea.

This moves your cooling problem to the other side of the card :-)

http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/m..._hr03_plus.htm

http://www.legionhardware.com/Pics/T...s/Image_00.jpg

Paul

Old June 21st 07, 04:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

"Kevin Weaver" wrote in message
et...
My new 8800 GTS Is huge. It's blocking one of my pci slots. With 3 total
on the MB And one being used, I have just one left which I'm going to use
shortly.

....which just means you'll have both usable PCI slots filled, but not
running short, correct? Do you anticipate having all 3 PCI slots filled?

I take it if I were to remove the fan and use some heat sink-fan combo the
warranty will be void. Am I correct ?

Technically yes. Some board vendors (BFGTech, I heard, among others) go as
far as putting a tamper-evident sticker on the back of the card, covering
one of the heatsink mounting screws.

The size is way over kill.

Bigger heat sink and bigger fan usually translates to lower noise at the
same cooling capacity.

Any help with this problem ?

The video card is not a peripheral. It is often the most expensive item in
the PC and draws the most power. It also makes the biggest difference in
visual quality. Design your rig around it.

Old June 21st 07, 09:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Jarod (the puppy)

"KW" == "Kevin Weaver" writes:

Kevin, I am not one to spend other's money, but I would get a new
MoBo with more slots if that is the problem.

If the new heat exchange system doesn't work correctly, you could
damage your card and really be stuffed.

A new MoBo and case..... Not that much. Or do you think a new Gfx
card would be cheaper if this one dies?

KW
KW My new 8800 GTS Is huge. It's blocking one of my pci slots. With
KW 3 total on the MB And one being used, I have just one left which
KW I'm going to use shortly. I take it if I were to remove the fan
KW and use some heat sink-fan combo the warranty will be void. Am I
KW correct ? The size is way over kill.
KW
KW Any help with this problem ?
KW
KW TIA...
KW
--
========
Thanks.....

Jarod

Old June 21st 07, 06:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Kevin Weaver

I just bought this setup. 3 slots will be fine. As I have 2 left for the
future.
But when I set this up I bought a 1950 ati card which was flickering, After
reading about others that have the same problem I knew it was the card. 2
driver packs later and it was still not fixed. So back it went and got into
Nivida. The other card was cool The card has a lifetime warr on it. So I
cross that bridge later when I have a need past the 1 free slot I have left.

Old June 21st 07, 01:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Ed Medlin

"Kevin Weaver" wrote in message
et...
My new 8800 GTS Is huge. It's blocking one of my pci slots. With 3 total
on the MB And one being used, I have just one left which I'm going to use
shortly. I take it if I were to remove the fan and use some heat sink-fan
combo the warranty will be void. Am I correct ? The size is way over kill.

Any help with this problem ?

TIA...

The 8800 series use a combo of heatpipes and fan to cool. You would have to
remove all of it and I doubt any aftermarket solution is going to help you
very much. The current design is very quiet and efficient. I use a couple of
8800 GTX cards in SLI and I still only lose one PCI slot out of two on a
680i board.

Ed

Old June 21st 07, 11:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW[_4_]

You are correct. That level of video card REQUIRES massive cooling.

--
DaveW