6600GT lock-ups

Old August 3rd 05, 11:10 AM
de Moni

Default 6600GT lock-ups

Okay, I'm getting sick of this. First, the Hardwa

ASrock K7VT4APro
Barton 3000+
1536MB DDR400 (1024+512) CL3
Palit GF6600GT 128MB AGP
80GB Seagate Barracuda ATA
Lite-On CDRW
3.5" disk
1x120mm, 2x60mm case fans (5V)
10/100 LAN card
SB64PCI (used only as game port)

My PC may lock-up completely at any moment, screen just freezes and all
I can do is push the reset button. Before this kind of behaviour I
installed new 1GB TwinMOS DDR400 CL3 memory module and Palit GF6600GT
AGP. I ran Memtest86 couple of times and it didn't find any errors.
Also tried using only old 100% working memory modules and still locked
up. So the reason seems to be the 6600GT.

Things I've tried so far:
- re-installed 77.72 WHQL's
- switched fast writes OFF
- lowered AGP aperture to 128mb
- switched off write combining
- switched off DEP (Data Execution Prevention or something)

And I'm beginning to get out of ideas. Faulty card? I have seen no
graphic corruption and temperatures stay below 70 degrees. I can play
heavy 3D games several hours before lock-up and the lock-up also occurs
on the desktop when idling. Some days it may lock-up several times and
some days it doesn't lock-up at all.

Could it be the PSU? 350W Enermax (+3.3V 32A/+5V 32A/+12V 17A) and I
have used multimeter to measure +5V and +12V rails. They seem to be rock
solid (5.10V and 12.30V) and never drop under their values. Altough MBM5
claims that +12V is only 11.55V and may drop as low as 11.35V during
gaming and the 5% warning pops up. Which one to trust, multimeter or MBM5?

Help much appretiated.

Old August 3rd 05, 06:23 PM
de Moni

de Moni wrote:
My PC may lock-up completely at any moment, screen just freezes and all
I can do is push the reset button. Before this kind of behaviour I
installed new 1GB TwinMOS DDR400 CL3 memory module and Palit GF6600GT
AGP. I ran Memtest86 couple of times and it didn't find any errors.
Also tried using only old 100% working memory modules and still locked
up. So the reason seems to be the 6600GT.

Seems like no one here is wiser than me :-)
But the more I investigate this the more this starts to feel like the
"all famous" infinite loop-bug (which I wasn't aware of:-) which is
usually caused by some kinda conflict between VIA-chipset and
NVidia-drivers. Before I switched DEP (Data Execution Prevention) off,
XP made entries like this to Event Log when it locked-up and rebooted:

**
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000ea
(0x89ff1328, 0x8991f1c0, 0x895b1cd8, 0x00000001). A dump was saved in:
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini080205-01.dmp.
**

After I switched DEP off XP just locks-up as usually but doesn't reboot
itself or do these error reports. If there are no other fixes for this
than some VIA beta patch from -02 (which doesn't necessary help) then I
suppose there's nothing else to do to solve this than change the
mobo/video card to other chipsed/gpu brand... :-/ I can't believe this
kind of bug has been unfixed for 3 years now, apparently it's just not
common enough.