FX5200 AGP compatability

Old August 2nd 05, 09:10 PM
/mel/

Default FX5200 AGP compatability

Nvidia site unhelpful and mentions only AGP 8x - can anyone here tell me if
this card is backwards compatible with earlier AGP revisions - I've a friend
whose old machine just failed and she's replaced the video card with the
FX5200. It doesn't work (at all), but I don't know if there's a fault
elsewhere or if the AGP spec of the motherboard is too old for the video
card. Gah, dontcha love remote diagnosis?

--

/mel/

np: silence

Old August 2nd 05, 11:26 PM
Augustus

"/mel/" wrote in message
Nvidia site unhelpful and mentions only AGP 8x - can anyone here tell me
if this card is backwards compatible with earlier AGP revisions - I've a
friend whose old machine just failed and she's replaced the video card
with the FX5200. It doesn't work (at all), but I don't know if there's a
fault elsewhere or if the AGP spec of the motherboard is too old for the
video card. Gah, dontcha love remote diagnosis?

It would probably help if you posted what m/b make and model she's using.

Old August 3rd 05, 07:13 AM
/mel/

"Augustus" wrote in message

"/mel/" wrote in message
Nvidia site unhelpful and mentions only AGP 8x - can anyone here tell me
if this card is backwards compatible with earlier AGP revisions - I've a
friend whose old machine just failed and she's replaced the video card
with the FX5200. It doesn't work (at all), but I don't know if there's a
fault elsewhere or if the AGP spec of the motherboard is too old for the
video card. Gah, dontcha love remote diagnosis?

It would probably help if you posted what m/b make and model she's using.

I've no idea, other than it's a Viglen and it has ISA slots - therefore it
is most likely the original AGP spec.

Old August 3rd 05, 10:23 AM
Phil Weldon

Well, no. There are motherboards with AGP + ISA slots that are AGP X 1, AGP
X 2, and AGP X 4 ( and perhaps even AGP X 8.)

Phil Weldon

Old August 3rd 05, 04:15 AM
Phil Weldon

'/mel/' wrote:
| Nvidia site unhelpful and mentions only AGP 8x - can anyone here tell me
if
| this card is backwards compatible with earlier AGP revisions - I've a
friend
| whose old machine just failed and she's replaced the video card with the
| FX5200. It doesn't work (at all)...

Remote diagnosis is pretty tedious is a lot like denistry. Getting
sufficient information about the problem is like pulling teeth.

What does 'It doesn't work (at all)' mean?
Motherboard make and model?
Why did system fail?
Why was the display adapter replaced?

Add additional information; you are sure to forget something important, and
drag out the process.

The FX5200 display adapter will ceratinly work in an AGP X4 slot/

Be precise if you want a helpful answer.

Phil Weldon

Old August 3rd 05, 07:15 AM
/mel/

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
nk.net...
'/mel/' wrote:
| Nvidia site unhelpful and mentions only AGP 8x - can anyone here tell me
if
| this card is backwards compatible with earlier AGP revisions - I've a
friend
| whose old machine just failed and she's replaced the video card with the
| FX5200. It doesn't work (at all)...

Remote diagnosis is pretty tedious is a lot like denistry. Getting
sufficient information about the problem is like pulling teeth.

What does 'It doesn't work (at all)' mean?
Motherboard make and model?
Why did system fail?
Why was the display adapter replaced?

Add additional information; you are sure to forget something important,
and drag out the process.

The FX5200 display adapter will ceratinly work in an AGP X4 slot/

Be precise if you want a helpful answer.

I can see where you're [both] coming from, but I can't be precise. Actually,
I'd have thought that the above was precise enough, but perhaps if I'd said
"is this card compatible with AGP x1?" that would have been better. Of
course there was actually no such thing as 'AGP x1', only 'AGP', being
pedantic.

/mel/

Old August 3rd 05, 10:24 AM
Phil Weldon

Like I posted, it's like pulling teeth.
Try posting an answer to the questions.
If you can't be more forthcomming, then expected only random answers.

Phil Weldon

Old August 3rd 05, 05:44 PM
/mel/

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
t...
Like I posted, it's like pulling teeth.
Try posting an answer to the questions.

Try posting an answer to the question - well, yes, exactly.

I appreciate that folks were/are trying to help, but there was only the one
question that I needed answering - I wasn't actually looking for help in
diagnosing the original problem, I added that only as background.

Funny thing, usenet, folks are either too helpful, or too abusive, and no
one ever really reads what a post says.

Anyway, the issue is now resolved, and as it happened it wasn't anything to
do with the video card. It appears that whatever revision of AGP the board
has, the FX5200 is compatible with it.

/mel/

Old August 3rd 05, 07:05 PM
Phil Weldon

'/mel/' wrote, in part:
| Funny thing, usenet, folks are either too helpful, or too abusive, and no
| one ever really reads what a post says.
_____

Your original post included: "but I don't know if there's a fault elsewhere
or if the AGP spec of the motherboard is too old for the video card." as
well as "can anyone here tell me if this card is backwards compatible with
earlier AGP revisions."

You posed more than one question, and did not supply enough information for
an answer.
And then didn't post enough information for an answer.
And then posted an attitude.

Good you reached a conclusion on your own, but then you had the infromation
didn't you.

Phil Weldon

Old August 3rd 05, 12:24 PM
Shane

I'm using the same card with AOpen's AX63 Pro motherboard with users VIA's
693A(Northbridge-chipset) and the (Southbridge-596B chipset) it's official
name is
VIA Apollo PRO133 series and this motherboard is old it's AGP controller
version is 1.00 which supports AGP speeds of 1x, 2x and I'm running in 2x
speed. This board is so old it has 1-AGP Slot, 5-PCI Slot's and 2-ISA Slots
and my CPU is Intel's Pentium IIIE 650 which is overclocked to 780Mhz and
it's stable.
Three PCI slot's are in use with the SBLive soundcard,
3Com 3C905C-TX network card, and I'm also running a TV Tuner card(V-Gear's
MyTV 2).
I have 512MB of ram and my GeForce FX5200(ST Labs) has 128MB DDRAM and it
supports AGP 2x, 4x and 8x speeds, since my motherboard only supports AGP 2x
that's the max speed for me until I buy a new motherboard. Overall this
board is very stable using it's default settings and also in overclocking
mode but of course you have to know what you are doing when overclocking.
So in answer to your question is yes but consider the following factors: The
OS, GPU and motherboard chipset. If the motherboard is using a VIA chipset
then install the latest VIA's 4in1 chipset drivers.

Regards,
Shane Hempseed