DirectX 9 question

Old August 19th 03, 11:36 PM
David Hunker

Default DirectX 9 question

I want to be prepared for the release of Half Life 2 and intend to get the
5600FX card. My system is a P4 2.0a on an Asus p4b266 mb with 512 mg pc2100
sdram. This mb only provides 4 x agp. Do I need to upgrade my system to get
descent game play (cinematic) at 800x600. Or is this something I'll have to
judge for myself when I load HL2 ?

Old August 20th 03, 01:01 AM
Blaedmon

from what I've read from official Valve press releases about hl2, your
system as it is will be fine for the game. The sysspecs are something like
2ghz gf4. pretty standard these days. Of course the engine is also
scaleable, so even lesser machines should be fine. But, as already posted,
its better to wait for the game to be actually finished
By the way - dont be fooled by the 8x AGP hype. 4X agp will last for years -
anything higher these days is mere number-candy, nothing else. Anyone who
would argue this simply is not educated to the logistics of current
motherboard and memory technology.

Old August 20th 03, 07:17 AM
tq96

I want to be prepared for the release of Half Life 2 and intend to get
the 5600FX card. My system is a P4 2.0a on an Asus p4b266 mb with 512

Don't. If the only reason you want a 5600FX card is to play Half Life 2,
wait until the game is actually out. Chances are by then there will be
newer cards out and you can either get one of those or get the 5600FX at a
cheaper price.
Old August 20th 03, 08:24 AM
Ron Merts

Great advice! Blaedmon is right, the marginal improvement that 8XAGP
delivers is hardly worth the price. Until something will fully take
advantage of the potentially doubled throughput it's just bragging rights -
and by that time PCI-express is likely to be released and who knows what
GeForce chipset will be "top-dog" by then.

Ron

Old August 20th 03, 11:27 AM
Eps

Do yourself a favor and wait about...oh, 3-4 months, and then ask.
Even at that date, I fancy the answer will still be premature.

half life 2 is still on curse to be released mid september, now is the
perfect time to upgrade your system.

--
Eps

Old August 20th 03, 06:52 PM
The Robot

half life 2 is still on curse to be released mid september, now is the
perfect time to upgrade your system.

A nice link to this curious fact might be in order?