Convert Fat16 to Fat32 under Win98 fails?

Old January 17th 04, 10:19 PM
Peter

Default Convert Fat16 to Fat32 under Win98 fails?

I want to convert my FAT16 HD (1Gb capacity) to FAT32. Prepared the disk
with a scandisk (no errors detected) and defragmentation run. Tried to use
the standard Win98 utility for it. It works ok up to the stage where the
system is automatically rebooted to start up and continue under DOS. Then
the system hangs, just after executing the mode commands of autoexec.bat
(anyway that's the last activity on the screen that I can see).
1. What may cause the system to hang?
2. Are there alternative ways to run the conversion program, e.g. directly
from a DOS boot disk?
Thanks, Peter.

Old January 17th 04, 11:28 PM
Wayne Morgan

Yes, it can be run straight from Dos if I remember correctly. Hold down the
Ctrl key as you boot and choose Safe Mode, Command Prompt Only in the
resulting menu. You may need to hunt for the file but can probably call it
with a /? switch to see what the command line would look like. I don't have
a 98 machine to look at.

--
Wayne Morgan

i.nl...

Old January 18th 04, 02:01 AM
philo

"Peter" wrote in message
i.nl...
I want to convert my FAT16 HD (1Gb capacity) to FAT32. Prepared the disk
with a scandisk (no errors detected) and defragmentation run. Tried to use
the standard Win98 utility for it. It works ok up to the stage where the
system is automatically rebooted to start up and continue under DOS. Then
the system hangs, just after executing the mode commands of autoexec.bat
(anyway that's the last activity on the screen that I can see).
1. What may cause the system to hang?
2. Are there alternative ways to run the conversion program, e.g. directly
from a DOS boot disk?
Thanks, Peter.

There is a good utility called Partition Magic

of course, for the same money you could just buy a larger drive!

Old January 19th 04, 09:16 AM
Peter

"philo" schreef in bericht

"Peter" wrote in message
i.nl...
I want to convert my FAT16 HD (1Gb capacity) to FAT32. Prepared the disk
with a scandisk (no errors detected) and defragmentation run. Tried to

use
the standard Win98 utility for it. It works ok up to the stage where the
system is automatically rebooted to start up and continue under DOS.

Then
the system hangs, just after executing the mode commands of autoexec.bat
(anyway that's the last activity on the screen that I can see).
1. What may cause the system to hang?
2. Are there alternative ways to run the conversion program, e.g.

directly
from a DOS boot disk?
Thanks, Peter.

There is a good utility called Partition Magic

of course, for the same money you could just buy a larger drive!

Great idea, happened to have a couple of floppies with PM on it lingering
around here...
Converted the disk - succesfully according to PM - but now Win98 won't
startup properly, the system hangs after executing the MODE commands...
Any clues?
Thanks, Peter.

Old January 19th 04, 09:46 AM
Peter

"philo" schreef in bericht

"Peter" wrote in message
i.nl...
I want to convert my FAT16 HD (1Gb capacity) to FAT32. Prepared the disk
with a scandisk (no errors detected) and defragmentation run. Tried to

use
the standard Win98 utility for it. It works ok up to the stage where the
system is automatically rebooted to start up and continue under DOS.

Then
the system hangs, just after executing the mode commands of autoexec.bat
(anyway that's the last activity on the screen that I can see).
1. What may cause the system to hang?
2. Are there alternative ways to run the conversion program, e.g.

directly
from a DOS boot disk?
Thanks, Peter.

There is a good utility called Partition Magic

of course, for the same money you could just buy a larger drive!

Some more info on the current status: the drive has been converted
succesfully (have a lot more empty space) and can be accessed from a DOS
bootdisk and will also startup in safe mode including network. When I look
at bootlog.txt it seems to have loaded most of the drivers and devices, but
fails when trying to load the fonts (Failure code 0016).
Thanks, Peter.

Old January 19th 04, 10:54 AM
Kevin Lawton

Peter wrote:
| I want to convert my FAT16 HD (1Gb capacity) to FAT32.

Why ?

Old January 19th 04, 11:16 AM
Peter

"Kevin Lawton" schreef in bericht
Peter wrote:
| I want to convert my FAT16 HD (1Gb capacity) to FAT32.

Why ?

To achieve a better usage of my drive, i.e. more free space...

Old January 20th 04, 08:52 AM
Peter

"Trent©" schreef in bericht
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 10:46:14 +0100, "Peter"
wrote:

Some more info on the current status: the drive has been converted
succesfully (have a lot more empty space) and can be accessed from a DOS
bootdisk and will also startup in safe mode including network. When I

look
at bootlog.txt it seems to have loaded most of the drivers and devices,

but
fails when trying to load the fonts (Failure code 0016).
Thanks, Peter.

Are you still running the autoexec?

Run without it 'till you get the system running properly. Then use
it again if you need to.

Failing to load fonts shouldn't keep the machine from booting.

Have a nice week...

Trent

If the cheese isn't yours...its Nacho cheese, man!

Well, I decided to re-install Windows98, and that resolved the problem...
Thanks all for your help... Peter.