Broken Hard Disk

Old January 9th 04, 05:53 PM
TS

Default Broken Hard Disk

Hi,

I hope that someone can help.

I have a hard disk (20GB) that has stopped working. I dont think it even
spins up and it is not recognised when booting. fdisk does not seem to
recognise it either. I have tried it in more than one PC using different
ide cables.

Is there anything I can try to allow me to salvage the data? Now here is a
lesson in backing up our data!

Thanks

Old January 9th 04, 07:01 PM
Todd H.

"TS" writes:

Hi,

I hope that someone can help.

I have a hard disk (20GB) that has stopped working. I dont think it even
spins up and it is not recognised when booting. fdisk does not seem to
recognise it either. I have tried it in more than one PC using different
ide cables.

Is there anything I can try to allow me to salvage the data? Now here is a
lesson in backing up our data!

No doubt.

There are data forensics people who (for a price) can get in there and
retrieve your information.

Keep in mind their pricing is set with a mind toward businesses who
can clearly justify hundreds or sometimes thousands of dollars
recovering such data that's irreplaceable and has a tangible hard
dollar value.

There's also software where you can do this yourself, but it's priced
painfully as well.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Old January 10th 04, 05:01 AM
callsignviper

"Todd H." wrote in message
"TS" writes:

[...]

Somehow I doubt software will help if the hardware has completely failed.
First thing to do is to get the drive functioning so the system can
recognize it. Then, if still necessary, software can be used to recover as
much data as possible.

If the same model, functioning drive can be found the drive controller PCB
can sometimes be changed to restore the drive to enough functionality to
recover most if not all of its data.

Good luck.

--
callsignviper

The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
the right questions.

Old January 10th 04, 05:02 PM
jamotto

"TS" wrote in message t...
Hi,

I hope that someone can help.

I have a hard disk (20GB) that has stopped working. I dont think it even
spins up and it is not recognised when booting. fdisk does not seem to
recognise it either. I have tried it in more than one PC using different
ide cables.

Is there anything I can try to allow me to salvage the data? Now here is a
lesson in backing up our data!

Thanks

In PCWORLD (June 2003) they suggested using Ontrack's Data Recovery
Center(www.ontrack.com) this cost then over $100.

two other last-gasp suggestions they had where
1.)Place the disk in a ziploc freezer bag and pop it into the freezer
for an hour. Cooling the disk can subtly change geometry of the head
and platters, enabling the drive to pick up data for a brief period of
time. Just have a new harddrive installed and some mirroring software
like Norton Ghost ready to go to make a one-shot transfer of the old
disk's contents.

2.)If the above does not work, with slim hope this might. Remove the
cover of the harddrive with a Torx driver, then give the drive heads a
gentle tap. Hook the drive to your system with the cover off and see
if you can access the drive.

hope this helps
Old January 10th 04, 05:21 PM
jamotto

"TS" wrote in message t...
Hi,

I hope that someone can help.

I have a hard disk (20GB) that has stopped working. I dont think it even
spins up and it is not recognised when booting. fdisk does not seem to
recognise it either. I have tried it in more than one PC using different
ide cables.

Is there anything I can try to allow me to salvage the data? Now here is a
lesson in backing up our data!

Thanks

here is a site has articles on recovering data
http://www.howtorecoverdata.com/ including better instuctions on the
freezer bag trick.
Old January 10th 04, 07:39 PM
callsignviper

"jamotto" wrote in message
om...
"TS" wrote in message

[...]

Opening the drive cover and exposing the heads/disks to the usually dusty
(can't be totally eliminated without a clean room) conditions inside a home
is probably the worst thing that could ever be done to a hard drive that has
any hope of data recovery. The heads in modern hard drives ride on an
incredibly thin cushion of air over the disks. Any dust that might get
caught between a head and a disk may easily destroy any reasonable, at home,
data recovery attempt and possibly even at companies with clean rooms
designed for hard drive disassembly and data recovery.

Chapter 10 of Upgrading and Repairing PCs, 13TH Edition, has a very good
description of modern hard drive design and operation.

Old January 11th 04, 03:55 AM
jamotto

"callsignviper" wrote in message news:KxYLb.16480$sv6.45821@attbi_s52...
"jamotto" wrote in message
om...
"TS" wrote in message

[...]

mmm, should have worded the suggestion differently thanks for pointing
this out.

Use the above option ONLY if
A.)all other options have been exhausted. "VERY IMPORTANT"
B.)You intend to not use the drive after this action is performed
(read it's going in the trash if it does not work or if it does work)
C.)If you have ANY uncertainties refer back to option "A"