4600c motherboard.....?

Old May 1st 06, 01:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default 4600c motherboard.....?

first i apologize for being a newbie. This is really my first
experience w/ working with computer hardware. I came home one day and
my 4600c no worky worky, blank screen. i got an orange light on the
power switch. I push and hold and it shuts off. I press again it goes
back to the orange light. I call dell. The have me do the diagnostics
thing i guess. check for led's in the back, no go. I moved the
jumper, pulled and swapped the ram disconnected and reconnected every
componant still no go. they tell me my mobo is crap. the questions i
have for the veterans here is do i believe them? and if it is so, is
there a compatable one to fit that case so i ain't gotta shell out
150 more clams to dell? thanx for any help i can get.

Dan

Old May 1st 06, 02:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

arugellin,
On EBay there is a company that has 10 of them for $99+ shipping with 30 day
guarantee. I don't know the company, so I can not personally recommend them.
But here is the info, so you decide:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-DIMENSION-4...QQcmdZViewItem

--
Have A Good Day
Rich/rerat

(RRR News) message rule
Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate

m...

Old May 1st 06, 03:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"arugellin" wrote in message
m...
first i apologize for being a newbie. This is really my first
experience w/ working with computer hardware. I came home one day and
my 4600c no worky worky, blank screen. i got an orange light on the
power switch. I push and hold and it shuts off. I press again it goes
back to the orange light. I call dell. The have me do the diagnostics
thing i guess. check for led's in the back, no go. I moved the
jumper, pulled and swapped the ram disconnected and reconnected every
componant still no go. they tell me my mobo is crap. the questions i
have for the veterans here is do i believe them? and if it is so, is
there a compatable one to fit that case so i ain't gotta shell out
150 more clams to dell? thanx for any help i can get.

Dan

When you attempt to boot the system, if the power LED is blinking orange
then it's likely the power supply (or that there is a problem with one of
the power rails due to the PS or another component). If it is in a constant
orange status, then it's most likely the motherboard.

I'd want to pull any/all cards from the system, pull all power connections
from the drives, remove the RAM - leaving only the power switch, (P1 and P2)
power supply mains to the motherboard as well as the CPU intact and attempt
boot. This assures that no drive, card, RAM or other component is shorting
or creating the problem - but I'd only do that if I were comfortable with
it.

Also, an inexpensive go/no-go ATX power supply tester could confirm the PS
to be good or bad.

Not many system boards on ebay, but here's some:

http://tinyurl.com/j93pz

Stew

Old May 1st 06, 11:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

thanks for the feedback. the light is steady, not looking good for the
home team. thanks again.

Dan

Old May 2nd 06, 02:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"arugellin" wrote in message
. ..
thanks for the feedback. the light is steady, not looking good for the
home team. thanks again.

Dan

Again, there's a chance that an internal component other than the mainboard
might be causing it. Best of luck.

Don't pay any more than you have to.

Stew

Old May 2nd 06, 04:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

i think i disconnected everything during my 2-3 hour phonecon w/ the
dell tech. aside from the PS is is there any way to test it.

Dan

Old May 2nd 06, 05:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"arugellin" wrote in message
m...
i think i disconnected everything during my 2-3 hour phonecon w/ the
dell tech. aside from the PS is is there any way to test it.

Dan

If all you've left connected to the board are the CPU, the power supply
connects, and the power switch, no.

A test of the PS should rule it out, and the mb is far more likely to have
failed than the CPU itself . (Not many people have an extra working 478-pin
lying about to swap that.)

Stew

Old May 2nd 06, 05:37 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

I'm not familiar with this model, but if it uses the standard ATX-12v Pentium 4
power connectors, it would be possible to test the motherboard/CPU/memory using
another known good power supply with more standard dimensions... Ben Myers

On Mon, 1 May 2006 23:20:37 -0500, "S.Lewis" wrote:

om...

Old May 2nd 06, 03:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Ben Myers" ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net wrote in message
I'm not familiar with this model, but if it uses the standard ATX-12v
Pentium 4
power connectors, it would be possible to test the motherboard/CPU/memory
using
another known good power supply with more standard dimensions... Ben Myers

You would be absolutely correct, sir. It is standard ATX. This particular
machine is the (super small ) SFF Dimension they made a couple two/three
years ago.

http://www.ari-web.com/shop/pc/dell/...-4600c-400.jpg

Parts for it outside of Dell will probably not be very common, though one
ebay seller did have a few boards.

Stew

Old October 18th 06, 02:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
arugellin

a little status for you, since my problems in march i had to move
cross country so hadn't had time to deal with this P.O.S. Last night
I got the ambition back to give er another shot. Now I get a steady
green light on the power switch as opposed to the orange one. But
still no LED's in the back. Again I pulled all power connecters but
PSU....nothing. when I do have everything connected though I get fan
noise cd rom noise and the HD spins up. any thoughts?