Slow harddrive copy

Old September 20th 03, 12:06 AM
Jason

Default Slow harddrive copy

I'm replacing my Western Digital 40GB UltraATA with a Seagate 7200.7 80GB
UltraATA. I put the Seagate on IDE controller 1 master and the WD on
Controller 2 master and booted the machine using Seagate's DiscWizard.
Format went fine but the copy was ridiculously slow. After an hour I only
got through 12% of 31GBs copied. Approx 8+ hours estimate for the whole
31GB?? That can't be right can it? For UltraATA? Machine is a 1Ghz Dell
Dimension 4100.

Old September 20th 03, 12:57 AM
V W Wall

Jason wrote:

I'm replacing my Western Digital 40GB UltraATA with a Seagate 7200.7 80GB
UltraATA. I put the Seagate on IDE controller 1 master and the WD on
Controller 2 master and booted the machine using Seagate's DiscWizard.
Format went fine but the copy was ridiculously slow. After an hour I only
got through 12% of 31GBs copied. Approx 8+ hours estimate for the whole
31GB?? That can't be right can it? For UltraATA? Machine is a 1Ghz Dell
Dimension 4100.

I just replaced an old WD drive with the same ST380013A you used. With it as
slave on IDE0 and my old WD AC313000R as master, I copied only about 4GB
from the old 8GB "C" partition to a new 31GB partition on the new drive.
It took a good hour. DiskWizard is an amazing program, but it is slow.
It does a "file for file" copy not a "bit for bit" ghost. Don't know why
it's so slow, but it does a good job.

I've used xxcopy before, and it seems to take about the same ammount of time.
You have to repeat the xxcopy to pick up any files Windows has in use. Disk
Wizard doesn't have this problem. I'm not sure it works at ATA100. It spent
a lot of time "preparing to copy files", whatever that is.

I thought it might get confused, as I made three partitions on the new drive,
and copied only the first of four partitions on the old drive to the first
partition on the new. 4GB in one hour is about equal to your 12% of 31GB.

Virg Wall

~ Carl Edward Sagan ~
Old September 20th 03, 01:11 AM
Jason

"V W Wall" wrote in message
I just replaced an old WD drive with the same ST380013A you used. With it

as
slave on IDE0 and my old WD AC313000R as master, I copied only about 4GB
from the old 8GB "C" partition to a new 31GB partition on the new drive.
It took a good hour. DiskWizard is an amazing program, but it is slow.
It does a "file for file" copy not a "bit for bit" ghost. Don't know why
it's so slow, but it does a good job.

Thanks Virg. I wasn't sure if maybe I hooked something up wrong or something
was broken. What i'll do is start the DiscWizard copy when I go to sleep and
let it run overnight.

Old September 20th 03, 03:36 PM
Spajky

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 23:06:19 GMT, "Jason" wrote:

using Seagate's DiscWizard.
Format went fine but the copy was ridiculously slow. After an hour I only
got through 12% of 31GBs copied. Approx 8+ hours estimate for the whole
31GB?? That can't be right can it? For UltraATA? Machine is a 1Ghz ..

thats looks like that program works with Dos base (16bit) legacy basic
chipset driver - thats why is so slow!
Why you do not copy all files you can in WIN (32bit+DMA+all chipset
drivers) from one disk to another & than only clone with that program
the OS?

-- Regards, SPAJKY
& visit - http://www.spajky.iscyber.com
Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
Old September 20th 03, 03:54 PM
V W Wall

Spajky wrote:

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 23:06:19 GMT, "Jason" wrote:

using Seagate's DiscWizard.
Format went fine but the copy was ridiculously slow. After an hour I only
got through 12% of 31GBs copied. Approx 8+ hours estimate for the whole
31GB?? That can't be right can it? For UltraATA? Machine is a 1Ghz ..

thats looks like that program works with Dos base (16bit) legacy basic
chipset driver - thats why is so slow!
Why you do not copy all files you can in WIN (32bit+DMA+all chipset
drivers) from one disk to another & than only clone with that program
the OS?

You really need a copy program to keep all the long file names intact.

That is essentially what xxcopy /clone does. You have to set up the
partitions, and format manually. Then you need to set the disk you
copied to have an active primmary partition before it's bootable.

DiskWizard does all that automatically, but it is slow.

Virg Wall

Old September 23rd 03, 12:25 PM
Darjo Gruden

Make sure you have "DMA if available" setting on in your Device manager's -
IDE channels properties...