system hotter than cpu

Old December 17th 03, 06:15 PM

Old December 17th 03, 06:28 PM

Barton 2500+ WEEK 33 (unlocked)
3200 ddr 400 512
ATI 9800 PRO 128mb
60gb Maxtor
160gb Maxtor
Plexwriter (12X1032) AND (52X32X52)
NSpire 300w
Chen Ming ATX-601 AE case

There is a problem with your case ventilation. Are there any fans in it?
The two hard disks plus the 9800 Pro dissipate a lot of heat that has to be
extracted. You should have one or two fans blowing into the case and one on
top of the psu fan(s) extracting the hot air from the case.

Old December 17th 03, 09:44 PM
joef

"ElJerid" wrote in message

"EzAk" wrote in message
ok whats the deal he

bios stats
system temp: 46c/114f
cpu surface temp: 38c/100f
cpu core temp: 42c/107f

hardware doctor
system 46
cpu 38.00 - 38.50

system is:
Zalman cnps 7000A-Cu *copper*
Barton 2500+ WEEK 33 (unlocked)
3200 ddr 400 512
ATI 9800 PRO 128mb
60gb Maxtor
160gb Maxtor
Plexwriter (12X1032) AND (52X32X52)
NSpire 300w
Chen Ming ATX-601 AE case

There is a problem with your case ventilation. Are there any fans in it?
The two hard disks plus the 9800 Pro dissipate a lot of heat that has to

be
extracted. You should have one or two fans blowing into the case and one

on
top of the psu fan(s) extracting the hot air from the case.

My sysoft sandra confuses the system and cpu readings - ie they're swapped.
Could be your problem. Does the system temp rise quickly from cold? This
might indicate same thing happening.

Old December 17th 03, 10:16 PM
EzAk

i have 3 case fans blowing in (one in front bottom 2 in back and the
case side off with these temps

Old December 17th 03, 11:55 PM
Roger M

EzAk wrote:

i have 3 case fans blowing in (one in front bottom 2 in back and the
case side off with these temps

My system and cpu temperature was hotter with the side off. My system
and cpu temperature was hotter with the fans blowing in instead of out.
My coolest temp was achieved with all cooling fans pulling hot air out
of the case. My core voltage is set at 1.9V and my fsb is set at 212 and
my idle temp on the cpu is 47C with fully loaded usually going to 56 or
so.

Roger

Old December 18th 03, 12:59 AM
~misfit~

EzAk wrote:
ok whats the deal he

bios stats
system temp: 46c/114f
cpu surface temp: 38c/100f
cpu core temp: 42c/107f

hardware doctor
system 46
cpu 38.00 - 38.50

system is:
Zalman cnps 7000A-Cu *copper*
Barton 2500+ WEEK 33 (unlocked)
3200 ddr 400 512
ATI 9800 PRO 128mb
60gb Maxtor
160gb Maxtor
Plexwriter (12X1032) AND (52X32X52)
NSpire 300w
Chen Ming ATX-601 AE case

Assuming these temps are being reported correctly, can you locate the
thermistor that measures the case temp?

I have a similar situation when my PC is idling but that is due to the fact
that my mobo thermistor is situated directly in the warm exhaust from the
graphics card fan.
--
~misfit~

Old December 18th 03, 01:01 AM
DaveL

What motherboard do you have? It could be a bios issue of it not displaying
the temps correctly. Maybe the system temp is actually the core temp. My
first thought is you have something really hot right next the the system
temp sensor, but if you have three fans that's probably unlikely. It could
be the sensor is next to the mobo chipset and you have the FSB crank to
overdrive and the thing is getting real hot.

Dave

"EzAk" wrote in message
ok whats the deal he

bios stats
system temp: 46c/114f
cpu surface temp: 38c/100f
cpu core temp: 42c/107f

hardware doctor
system 46
cpu 38.00 - 38.50

system is:
Zalman cnps 7000A-Cu *copper*

Old December 18th 03, 07:11 AM
EzAk

running no overclocking right now. mobo is ABIT AT7 MAX2 with latest
bios update. not sure where the termistate on this board is ill have to
try to locate it tomarrow when i have some light. thanks for all your
help. Is there a diffrent program i can use to see if the temps are
reversed?

Old December 18th 03, 08:58 AM
baskitcaise

EzAk wrote:

running no overclocking right now. mobo is ABIT AT7 MAX2 with latest
bios update. not sure where the termistate on this board is ill have to
try to locate it tomarrow when i have some light. thanks for all your
help. Is there a diffrent program i can use to see if the temps are
reversed?

Looking at the specs of this board it appears that the sys temp sensor is
between the cpu and the northbridge, I wonder if it is picking up the hot air
from the cpu fan?

--
Mark
Twixt hill and high water.
Old December 18th 03, 09:18 AM
BigBadger

But the air coming off the heatsink cannot be hotter than the cpu (otherwise
it would heat the cpu not cool it).
The cpu must always be hotter than the case air temp (unless your water or
Refrigeration cooling or such like)

"baskitcaise" wrote in message
EzAk wrote:

running no overclocking right now. mobo is ABIT AT7 MAX2 with latest
bios update. not sure where the termistate on this board is ill have to
try to locate it tomarrow when i have some light. thanks for all your
help. Is there a diffrent program i can use to see if the temps are
reversed?

Looking at the specs of this board it appears that the sys temp sensor is
between the cpu and the northbridge, I wonder if it is picking up the hot

air
from the cpu fan?

--
Mark
Twixt hill and high water.
N.Wales, UK.
Email is spam trap try baskitcaise at gmx dot co dot uk

On the brink of madness... I.C. Koets General 18 January 31st 05 11:49 PM
Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
Dual processor system vs Single processor system HawkEye_42 General 3 January 27th 04 12:01 PM
Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 06:38 AM
how much can i overclock my computer en how MiniDisc_2k2 Overclocking 2 July 6th 03 12:58 AM