Button remapping on Logitech USB mouse

Old December 7th 03, 03:43 AM
Joe McArthur

Default Button remapping on Logitech USB mouse

I tried this question over in the microsoft.public.win2000 newsgroup, but
received no responses, so I thought I'd try here ...

I would like to map the function of the Alt-Esc key combination (i.e.
"switch to next open window") to a button on my mouse. I'm using a
Logitech MX500 mouse, whose Button #8 currently invokes a "Quick Switch"
function, that is similar to the Alt-Tab functionality. The list of
available functions that are assignable to buttons on the mouse, though
quite extensive, does not appear to contain an equivalent to the Alt-Esc
key function. Any help is appreciated.

Joe
Old December 11th 03, 04:49 AM

See if you have a driver or utility that came with your hardware or
look for the manufacturers website and see if they have some driver
information.

Old December 11th 03, 05:32 AM

Try this site. Refers to Windows kernal toys
which came with Win95 originally.

I have done this previously on my Tandy 1000a.

This is simple DOS based type of commands in a simple batch file. I
do not know how the windows version works, but this looks promising.
I use a mainframe client at work and it uses keyboard maps and allows
you to change them on the fly.

Old December 12th 03, 05:53 AM
jamotto

Joe McArthur wrote in message ...
I tried this question over in the microsoft.public.win2000 newsgroup, but
received no responses, so I thought I'd try here ...

I would like to map the function of the Alt-Esc key combination (i.e.
"switch to next open window") to a button on my mouse. I'm using a
Logitech MX500 mouse, whose Button #8 currently invokes a "Quick Switch"
function, that is similar to the Alt-Tab functionality. The list of
available functions that are assignable to buttons on the mouse, though
quite extensive, does not appear to contain an equivalent to the Alt-Esc
key function. Any help is appreciated.

Joe

Assuming you can bind a single keyboard key to the mouse button you
might try and use a macro recorder if you still have the now ancient
windows 3.x disks you can use the little applet called "Recorder" to
record a Macro of Alt-Esc and assign it to a key that your mouse can
use. I sure there is freeware Macro recorders out there if you need
one. Or if you don't like your mouse very much you can buy
Microsoft's Intelli series of mice that have software that allow to do
what you want to do.

Hope this helps