Asus EN8600GT Graphics Driver Problems - Help Please

Old April 20th 08, 07:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
marcbkk

Default Asus EN8600GT Graphics Driver Problems - Help Please

I just put together a brand new system with an Asus P5K main board, an
Asus EN8600GT Silent Graphics Card with 512MB video ram (Nividia Chip)
and 8GB of DDR2 system Ram.

I am running Windows XP SP2 and all drivers for both the onboard
mainboard components and the graphics card installed properly without
error. I am also running a dual monitor setup with the card.

Shortly after the install XP started downloading and installing updates
and then I started having problems with the graphics card driver.

Basically every time I restart the computer or power it up with a cold
boot the display driver reverts back to the original XP default driver
(which of cource is not able to support the card properly). Then XP pops
a message telling me the current manufacture’s graphics card driver I
have installed can’t be used anymore and that I need to download and
install an updated version.

So I went to the Asus web site and downloaded the latest release of the
Asus EN8600GT VGA Driver for XP, which is version 169.21 dated
12/05/2007.

Then, once I put the driver update in, the system asks to reboot and
everything is fine again with my 2 displays.

But as soon as I either restart or shut down and reboot I am back to
square one with the same problem again.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix the problem?

Many thanks,

Marc

Old April 21st 08, 03:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon[_2_]

'marcbkk' wrote, in part:
I just put together a brand new system with an Asus P5K main board, an
Asus EN8600GT Silent Graphics Card with 512MB video ram (Nividia Chip)
and 8GB of DDR2 system Ram.

I am running Windows XP SP2 and all drivers for both the onboard
mainboard components and the graphics card installed properly without
error. I am also running a dual monitor setup with the card.

Shortly after the install XP started downloading and installing updates
and then I started having problems with the graphics card driver.

_____

Decide what it is that you really expect to do.

Then, if you have a 32-bit operating system, sell the completely useless top
4 GBytes of DDR2 RAM and the nearly useless next 2 GBytes of DDR2 RAM (at
best, with a 32-bit Windows operating system you have full use of only 2
GBytes of RAM and partial use of the third GByte of RAM.) The 512 MByte
display adapter blocks another 1/2 GByte of RAM, and other peripheral
reserved addresses block additional RAM in the the second 2 GBytes of
installed RAM.

THEN uninstall all drivers for your display adapter.
Refuse if Windows XP offers to download and install drivers for your display
adapter.
Download the latest WHQL drivers form the nVidia website.
THEN try installing the latest nVidia WHQL drivers.
Vow to read directions, manuals, and newsgroups BEFORE purchasing components
and building a computer system.

Phil Weldon

Old April 21st 08, 04:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"marcbkk" wrote in message

I just put together a brand new system with an Asus P5K main board, an
Asus EN8600GT Silent Graphics Card with 512MB video ram (Nividia Chip)
and 8GB of DDR2 system Ram.

snip
But as soon as I either restart or shut down and reboot I am back to
square one with the same problem again.

This is a a Win XP SP2 x64 system, right? Please tell me you didn't stuff 8
Gig of RAM into a Windows XP x32 build. The advice the other poster gave is
the most useful. Your problems began after Windows Update dowloaded and
installed a series of updates. NEVER allow WU to replace any driver of any
kind.

Old April 21st 08, 05:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
marcbkk[_2_]

I put in 8Gb because eventually I will go to a 64bit OS. For the moment
I am running at 32bit until I am certain that all drivers and programs I
want to install will run under a 64bit OS.

I could take the extra ram out for the time being, but it’s not
harming anything.

Back to the problem. I have since nuked the XP install and stared all
over again.

All is working again seamlessly and I have completely disabled WU for
the moment. I will soon create a drive image of the working install and
then slowly allow things to update one by one and only download security
updates for the time being.

If I hit a snag where an update renders things unstable again I will
just wind back to an earlier drive image so that I don't have to go
through the full install again.

Anyway, thanks for trying to school me, but I don't need to be
schooled. What you did confirm though was that it was a problem related
to WU which was my feeling from the start and why I nuked the OS earlier
today and immediately disabled WU.

Old April 22nd 08, 05:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'marcbbk' wrote:
[...]

Yet the reinstall was not necessary, but you did it anyway rather than
unistall the Windows Update provided drivers and replace with nVida WHQL
drivers. Nor did you, alternatively, use the 'System Restore' built into
Windows Vista which, in general, removes the need to go back to a perhaps
months old complete backup. Finally, nothing drops so fast as memory
prices, especially as a new memory standard enters the market (DDR3); so why
not purchase memory when it is actually usable? As an example, DDR2 memory
has dropped more than 50% in price in the last twelve months.

Again, 'read directions, manuals, and newsgroups BEFORE purchasing

Old April 22nd 08, 07:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

Anyway, thanks for trying to school me, but I don't need to be
schooled. What you did confirm though was that it was a problem related
to WU which was my feeling from the start and why I nuked the OS earlier
today and immediately disabled WU.

Based on what you did to resolve the issue, the facts seem to indicate
otherwise...