Should I KEEP my video card?

Old April 10th 08, 04:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Patrick Vervoorn

Default Should I KEEP my video card?

In article ,
mangyrat wrote:
all the bulls **** aside you will be wanting to get at least a 9600gt or
better yet a 8800gt in the mid price range.
take a look at XFX for overclocking and not voiding the warranty. the better
card in the long run will be the 8800gt both can be found under $200

9600gt

8800gt

Didn't follow the links you provided, but I would like to advise against
getting an XFX 8800GT. I did, for my brother, and found out XFX tried to
save a dime on their design, and included a non-regulated fan on their
'8800GT Alpha Dog Edition'. The fan runs at 100% non-stop, and the thing
sounds like a hoovercraft.

Luckily, I have a good relationship with the shop I got it from, and they
provided me with a replacement Club3D 8800GT, which I will be installing
in my brother's system coming weekend.

Again: make 100% sure the XFX card you are getting has a regulated fan, or
otherwise, buy something else, and avoid XFX at all. Hopefully that will
teach them to try and save a dime on something as essential as a good fan
on a graphics card.

Regards, Patrick.
Old April 10th 08, 04:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mangyrat

all the bulls **** aside you will be wanting to get at least a 9600gt or
better yet a 8800gt in the mid price range.
take a look at XFX for overclocking and not voiding the warranty. the better
card in the long run will be the 8800gt both can be found under $200

9600gt

8800gt

"Robert Blass" wrote in message
news
My 6800GS is made by EVGA is *IS* PCI-E

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 17:48:40 +0200, "ShutEye" sayd the
following:

A modern quad core system's motherboard will NOT use an AGP socket such
as
your video card requires, but rather will use a PCI-E socket video card.

Though quad core motherboards with an AGP slot may not exist, the 6800
GS
128 MByte display adapter exists in AGP and PCI-e versions.

Asrock have made a few with both agp and pcie.
Not top of the line though.

Old April 15th 08, 12:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Patrick Vervoorn

In article , mangyrat wrote:
when did XFX start doing this with the fans?
it would tick me off bad if i got a card like you described.
ill have to stop recommending them if i ever run in to that problem.

See their support forums. You can find the link if you Google this group
for 'XFX 8800GT'. Someone provided a link to that forum, and over there,
someone else made a list of all the XFX part #s and the type of fan they
have. It's a only a small portion of the XFX 8800GT's which have a
non-regulated fan...

well good thing i got a adjustable fan on my alpha dog 8800gt with the fan
set at 65% i don't hear it over the case fans.

Consider yourself lucky then.

Regards, Patrick.
Old April 15th 08, 02:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mangyrat

when did XFX start doing this with the fans?
it would tick me off bad if i got a card like you described.
ill have to stop recommending them if i ever run in to that problem.

well good thing i got a adjustable fan on my alpha dog 8800gt with the fan
set at 65% i don't hear it over the case fans.
sorry for the delay on posting i was on vacation

"Patrick Vervoorn" wrote in
message l...

Old April 15th 08, 07:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
JLC

"Patrick Vervoorn" wrote in
message ...
In article , mangyrat
wrote:
when did XFX start doing this with the fans?
it would tick me off bad if i got a card like you described.
ill have to stop recommending them if i ever run in to that problem.

See their support forums. You can find the link if you Google this group
for 'XFX 8800GT'. Someone provided a link to that forum, and over there,
someone else made a list of all the XFX part #s and the type of fan they
have. It's a only a small portion of the XFX 8800GT's which have a
non-regulated fan...

well good thing i got a adjustable fan on my alpha dog 8800gt with the fan
set at 65% i don't hear it over the case fans.

Consider yourself lucky then.

Regards, Patrick.

XFX and some other card makers have changed how the fans on their card run
because of possible overheating issues with the fist gen 8800GT cards. I
know that a lot of makers have larger fans now, or have totally changed the
stock HSF. I took a look at some of the new XFX models and they have a new
HSF design. I have the XFX Alpha Dog XXX which is factory OC'ed at 670. I
bought it when they were first coming out. I have a fan that runs at 30%
until the temp hits like 100C! So I have RivaTuner setup to control the fan.
I have it set to run at 80% when it hits over 70C. At this setting the card
stays right at 70-72C during heavy load. At 80% I can hear the fan, but it's
not bad. My ATI X1900XT was a lot louder. That cards fan would rev up to
100% as soon as you started a game.
I do have a question for anyone that is also using RivaTuner for fan
control. The way I have it set up took a long time to get the settings
right. I made profiles for different temps so the fan automatically runs
faster the hotter the card gets. I can also run the launcher app to set the
speed. I wondering if I upgrade my drivers am I going to have to redo my
settings? So far Nvidia hasn't had a driver update, so I haven't had to deal
with it yet. TIA. JLC