Should I KEEP my video card?

Old April 8th 08, 03:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
BigJim

Default Should I KEEP my video card?

with a quad I would go with a 8800gts, 115 dollars after rebate.

"Robert Blass" wrote in message
I was planning on building a quad-core system [intel] and am wondering
if it would be ok to recycle and keep using my nvidia 6800gs 128mg?

If not, what would be a good entry-level vid card?

I aint made of money, thanks a lot.

Old April 8th 08, 04:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Fishface

Robert Blass wrote:

Well I mainly do APPS but wanted to do 'some' gaming on the side.

What games and at what resolution? This chart is not quite up to date, but
can still be very helpful for comparing how the different cards perform in
various games. http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html

This is not quite up to date either, but may be helpful in attaining the best
performance for your dollar:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/...ming_graphics/

Old April 8th 08, 11:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW[_5_]

A modern quad core system's motherboard will NOT use an AGP socket such as
your video card requires, but rather will use a PCI-E socket video card.
Time to upgrade.

--
--DaveW

Old April 9th 08, 05:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon[_2_]

'DaveW' wrote, in part:
A modern quad core system's motherboard will NOT use an AGP socket such as
your video card requires, but rather will use a PCI-E socket video card.

_____

Though quad core motherboards with an AGP slot may not exist, the 6800 GS
128 MByte display adapter exists in AGP and PCI-e versions.

Phil Weldon

. ..

Old April 9th 08, 04:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
ShutEye

A modern quad core system's motherboard will NOT use an AGP socket such as
your video card requires, but rather will use a PCI-E socket video card.

Though quad core motherboards with an AGP slot may not exist, the 6800 GS
128 MByte display adapter exists in AGP and PCI-e versions.

Asrock have made a few with both agp and pcie.
Not top of the line though.

Old April 9th 08, 07:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Robert Blass

My 6800GS is made by EVGA is *IS* PCI-E

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 17:48:40 +0200, "ShutEye" sayd the
following:

Old April 9th 08, 07:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'Robert Blass' wrote:
My 6800GS is made by EVGA is *IS* PCI-E

_____

Which fact should tell you, that, as 'ShutEye' posted, some advice (and
attitude) posted here is not "top of the line". For more mature replies you
might want to seek a more mature newsgroup; alt.comp.hardware.overclocking ,
for example.

Phil Weldon

news

Old April 10th 08, 12:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Phil Weldon wrote:

For more mature replies
you might want to seek a more mature newsgroup;
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking , for example.

Phil Weldon

What Phil meant to write was "To find people who enjoy speculating about
nothing and wondering "what if" try the fisher-price groups."

Garbage In Garbage Out.

Old April 10th 08, 03:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Fishface

This is not quite up to date either, but may be helpful in attaining the best
performance for your dollar:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/...ming_graphics/

Now presumably up-to-date:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/04/...for_the_money/

Old April 10th 08, 04:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Gorby

Augustus wrote:
"Robert Blass" wrote in message
I was planning on building a quad-core system [intel] and am wondering
if it would be ok to recycle and keep using my nvidia 6800gs 128mg?

If not, what would be a good entry-level vid card?

I aint made of money, thanks a lot.

Most 128Mb 6800GS cards I've seen are AGP and not PCIe. In fact, in 30
seconds of Googling, I could not find a single PCI-e 128Mb 6800GS card. And
tha's all the time I felt like investing. For any modern gaming, assuming
it's PCIe, it's not adequate. If it's not PCIe then make sure you use
non-conducting snippers to trim the PCB board to make it fit.

ROFLMAO!