Can I use Nero on a HP 8220e?

Old September 7th 04, 03:49 PM
mike

Default Can I use Nero on a HP 8220e?

I picked up an HP 8220e USB cd burner.
I loaded the HP drivers. Win98SE
Nero 5.5.4.9 recognizes the drive but the burn aborts immediately
with an illegal command error.

I loaded the software suite that came with the drive and it works fine.

But now I have InCD loaded. Looks like an HP version of roxio.
I haven't tried nero on the internal burner to see if it still works.
I've got windows 98SE shutdown problems now.

I want all that stuff off of the machine.
Is there anything I can do to make Nero work with this drive?
Thanks, mike
--
Return address is VALID.
Compaq Aero floppy,ram,battery.

Old September 7th 04, 07:42 PM
Mike Richter

mike wrote:
I picked up an HP 8220e USB cd burner.
I loaded the HP drivers. Win98SE
Nero 5.5.4.9 recognizes the drive but the burn aborts immediately
with an illegal command error.

I loaded the software suite that came with the drive and it works fine.

But now I have InCD loaded. Looks like an HP version of roxio.
I haven't tried nero on the internal burner to see if it still works.
I've got windows 98SE shutdown problems now.

I want all that stuff off of the machine.
Is there anything I can do to make Nero work with this drive?
Thanks, mike

There's no reason that Nero should not work with your drive; check with
Ahead to be sure that version supports your burner and see if there's a
later release of 5.x which may fix some errors.

Unfortunately, I can't tell what may be wrong from your description. Is
"immediately" before even checking calibration? After the TOC (in DAO)
but before data? During data?

Are you trying to write too fast for your interface (USB 1.1?).

InCD is Ahead's packet program for erasable media.

We don't know what "all that stuff" is or what you want to remove. If
you mean all CD writing software, that should be easy enough - uninstall
all the components, search for and eliminate the registy entries that
are left, and use ASPICHK to see what's going on with the ASPI layer
before you decide what to keep and what to discard. But if you want to
keep some programs and to dump others - sorry, the pschic friends
network is not connected to my LAN.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old September 7th 04, 09:01 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )
'

mike wrote:

I picked up an HP 8220e USB cd burner.
I loaded the HP drivers. Win98SE
Nero 5.5.4.9 recognizes the drive but the burn aborts immediately
with an illegal command error.

Nero lists 8200e as supported, but not 8220e.

I loaded the software suite that came with the drive and it works fine.

Most likely RecordNow, and DLA packet writer like InCD.

But now I have InCD loaded. Looks like an HP version of roxio.
I haven't tried nero on the internal burner to see if it still works.
I've got windows 98SE shutdown problems now.
I want all that stuff off of the machine.

Uninstall InCD thru Control Panel, Add/Remove. Run InCD Clean Tool:
http://www.nero.com/us/ns4_631938356212815.html

Is there anything I can do to make Nero work with this drive?

There must be some differences between 8200e/8220e for Nero to work with
the drive.

HP provides DLA packet writer. Use that instead of InCD.
Old September 7th 04, 11:44 PM
mike

Mike Richter wrote:
mike wrote:

I picked up an HP 8220e USB cd burner.
I loaded the HP drivers. Win98SE
Nero 5.5.4.9 recognizes the drive but the burn aborts immediately
with an illegal command error.

I loaded the software suite that came with the drive and it works fine.

But now I have InCD loaded. Looks like an HP version of roxio.
I haven't tried nero on the internal burner to see if it still works.
I've got windows 98SE shutdown problems now.

I want all that stuff off of the machine.
Is there anything I can do to make Nero work with this drive?
Thanks, mike

There's no reason that Nero should not work with your drive; check with
Ahead to be sure that version supports your burner and see if there's a
later release of 5.x which may fix some errors.

Ok, I'll try that.

Unfortunately, I can't tell what may be wrong from your description. Is
"immediately" before even checking calibration? After the TOC (in DAO)
but before data? During data?

I already restored a backup, so I'll have to reload the drivers to get
an answer to that one.

Are you trying to write too fast for your interface (USB 1.1?).

4X should be ok?? I think I tried 2x, same problem.
4X works fine with the HP software suite.

InCD is Ahead's packet program for erasable media.

We don't know what "all that stuff" is or what you want to remove.

Ok, I'll try to be more clear.
I have Nero working fine on that machine.
I'm not opposed to loading drivers for a new hardware device.
What I do NOT want is yet another CD writing program on the machine.
Especially one that insists on loading stuff that I don't want, like
InCD...or one that may fight with my existing (nero) software for
control of the hardware.

And I don't even want/need it running on this machine. It's my test
machine I use to get the bugs out before I attempt to load it on my laptop.

I've got more questions, but I'll put them in another thread.

Thanks, mike

Old September 8th 04, 12:58 AM
Eric McG

A quick check of the Nero website for supported HP recorders came up with no
listing for model 8220e. Closest was an 8200e. See this link for details:

http://www.nero.com/en/6320120381421...anu=HP&lang=en

--
Hope this helps..Reply in newsgroup only.
Eric McGillicudy

Nero hangs on "checking discs" smh Cdr 1 September 5th 04 04:00 AM
Nero 5 OEM > Nero 6 Full Steve Zurlo Cdr 4 August 1st 03 08:06 PM
nero would only start in nero express... mark24951 Cdr 1 July 29th 03 04:45 AM
Nero 5.5.10.42 weirdness John Smith Cdr 0 July 25th 03 10:17 PM
Digital Research 48x16x48 not recognized by Nero 5.5 Blackie Lawless Cdr 0 July 16th 03 01:58 PM