AGP texture accelerator not available

Old February 21st 04, 06:25 PM
fred

Default AGP texture accelerator not available

DirectX Diag says in Display that AGP Texture Accelerator is not available.
With a P4P800, P4 3.0 and FX5900 ultra it should be there ? or not ?
Latest Nvidea drivers, Direct9.0b, Latest BIOS, etc..
What can I do ?

Old February 21st 04, 08:14 PM
Paul

In article , "fred"
wrote:

DirectX Diag says in Display that AGP Texture Accelerator is not available.
With a P4P800, P4 3.0 and FX5900 ultra it should be there ? or not ?
Latest Nvidea drivers, Direct9.0b, Latest BIOS, etc..
What can I do ?

You need the chipset drivers from Intel. There should be a miniport
GART driver in there, that puts the AGP slot in AGP mode, rather
than the simpler PCI mode. The AGP slot protocol has elements of
PCI transfer in it (for simple read/write of registers etc) and
also has the higher speed AGP texture transfer protocol.
The Intel chipset drivers have two drivers, a PCI one and an AGP
one, and it sounds like the PCI one has been installed.

So, what you need to do is delete the PCI bridge driver for the
AGP slot, then install the INFINST Intel package again. If this
doesn't fix it, look for a readme file in the Intel package, and
there is a command line option, to cause the INFINST package to
create a folder with all the driver files in it. You can then
locate the appropriate GART driver for your OS and chipset type
manually, and install just that .inf . (I think the command I used
would look like this, to put the drivers onto my D: drive -
check the docs that came with the drivers to be sure.)

infinst.exe -A -A -P D:\temp

Once the Device Manager entry says something about AGP or GART,
then you can reinstall the Nvidia driver.

I went through this process on purpose once. I was having problems
installing a video card driver, and flipped the AGP slot, from
AGP to PCI vanilla mode and back to AGP. After that, the video card
driver installed properly.

You might also want to look through the BIOS, to see if the AGP
slot has been disabled somehow.

HTH,
Paul
Old February 21st 04, 08:25 PM
Paul

In article ,
(Paul) wrote:

In article , "fred"
wrote:

[...]

I forgot to mention, the thing you are looking for in the Device
Manager, will be in the System Devices section.

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showth...934#post655934

In that example, the AGP bridge entry looks like:

Name: Intel(R) 82865G/PE/P/GV/82848P Processor to AGP Controller - 2571

HTH,
Paul
Old February 22nd 04, 10:43 AM
fred

Thanks for your support.
I had a new CPU installed and the shop updated my mobo BIOS. They forgot the
Chipset SW.
Reinstall Chipset SW from Asus CD and all was OK. Thanks again.

"Ayoub" wrote in message
did you install the intel chipset driver which is on the m/board cd?
cheers

.nl...

Old February 22nd 04, 10:49 AM
fred

Thanks for your support, Paul.
I had a new CPU installed and the shop updated my mobo BIOS. They forgot the
Chipset SW.
Reinstall Chipset SW from Asus CD and all was OK.
I am glad the Asus CD did the job. Was a bit worried to have to do all the
technical thing you discribed.
I am just a humble user. But is is educational. (PC's suprise me still after
25 years of plauying with them)
Still, Thanks.

"Paul" wrote in message
In article ,