Dimension 9100 question

Old January 5th 09, 02:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
PDR

Default Dimension 9100 question

Related to my PCTV question, but more general:

Ever since I've had this machine (probably 3 years) it's been stowed on the
floor next to the desk so I've never really looked at the front panel when
it's running. But whilst investigating the PCTV card problem I noticed that
on a black bit of the front panel there are some LED "status" symbols that
illuminate at various times. These incluse a set of numbers (I think 1-4)
which light up green briefly and then go dark, which is presumably why I've
never noticed them before. Does anyone know what they are and/or what they
mean? I ask because when I install the PCTV card the numbers 1 and 4 remain
on permanently.

TIA,

PDR

Old January 5th 09, 02:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Levine[_5_]

PDR wrote:
Related to my PCTV question, but more general:

Ever since I've had this machine (probably 3 years) it's been stowed on the
floor next to the desk so I've never really looked at the front panel when
it's running. But whilst investigating the PCTV card problem I noticed that
on a black bit of the front panel there are some LED "status" symbols that
illuminate at various times. These incluse a set of numbers (I think 1-4)
which light up green briefly and then go dark, which is presumably why I've
never noticed them before. Does anyone know what they are and/or what they
mean? I ask because when I install the PCTV card the numbers 1 and 4 remain
on permanently.

They help with diagnostics. Check out this:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc.../D86630LRs.pdf

Bob
Old January 5th 09, 03:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

These are diagnostic lights, formerly found at the back of the system
where the motherboard's complement of ports would be.

I ask because when I install the PCTV card the numbers 1
and 4 remain on permanently.

This is not listed as a valid fault code in the manual for the 9100.
Does the system work normally anyway? If it does, I'd say that the
code can be safely ignored.

William
Old January 5th 09, 03:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

"Bob Levine" wrote in message
PDR wrote:
Related to my PCTV question, but more general:

Ever since I've had this machine (probably 3 years) it's been stowed on
the floor next to the desk so I've never really looked at the front panel
when it's running. But whilst investigating the PCTV card problem I
noticed that on a black bit of the front panel there are some LED
"status" symbols that illuminate at various times. These incluse a set of
numbers (I think 1-4) which light up green briefly and then go dark,
which is presumably why I've never noticed them before. Does anyone know
what they are and/or what they mean? I ask because when I install the
PCTV card the numbers 1 and 4 remain on permanently.

They help with diagnostics. Check out this:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc.../D86630LRs.pdf

Bob

see page 45 of the manual that bob refered to for details on what the error
codes mean.
however there is no definition for the error code of having just lights one
and four stay on. i suggest that you call or email dell to ask them what it
might mean, but clearly it has something to do with the add on card. you
may want to try it in another slot, or flash the bios to the latest version
to see if the problem goes away.
let us know how it turns out.