E4300 and 650i overclocking

Old April 14th 07, 05:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Amir Facade

Default Core 2 Duo and 680i overclocking (was E4300 and 650i overclocking)

"Ed Medlin" wrote in message
. net...

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
ink.net...
'Ed Medlin' wrote, in part:
| I might see if I can search up some photos for the Asus version and see
if
| can compare them with the EVGA offerings. I would 'like' to have a
couple
of
| available PCI slots. I am getting things ready for my order now and
will
| probably begin my build within a week or so (deciding on components is
| driving me nuts).
_____

ATX +12V rev 2.2 power supplies.

Evidently 'two +12 VDC rails' and 'three +12 VDC rails' are not what they
might seem. One regulator system provides +12 VDC which is then split to
three current sensors. This is because of an ATX +12V rev 2.2
specification
that limits maximum power on any 'rail' before overload protection kicks
in
to about 250 Watts. My new Antec Neo HE 550 Watt supply has three +12
VDC
'rails rated at 18 Amperes (500 Watts maximum total +12 VDC power.) The
directions for connections indicates that one rail be used for display
adapter #1 and another rail be used for graphics adapter #2 (if present.)
I'd guess another rail is used for the 8-pin CPU power plug. I'd think
that
this power supply is more than adequate for any Core 2 Duo / 2 X 8800 GTS
or
1 X 8800 GTX system.

Phil Weldon

I have pretty much got everything together now except I just can't decide
on a case and water cooling system. I am going with the i680 from Asus
with onboard sound and lan (just in case I lose PCI slots). I decided on
going the SLI route with 2x 8800 GTS rather than a single GTX because of
some of the success folks have had with simulators with that setup. 2gb of
ram should do me fine and I am still looking for the fastest I can find to
try and keep my memory bandwidth up with the higher fsb of the E6600. I
would like to water cool the GPUs of both adapters and am trying to figure
out how many watts of heat I am looking at getting rid of with this setup.
I know it will be over 500w and maybe even 700. I don't want to "daisy
chain" much. I might do the chipset and CPU and then another line for the
GPUs. I saw some water blocks for the video memory, but don't know if that
would be a necessity. I want to see just how quiet I can get this system
along with a decent OC. I thought I had a good, new power supply but it
turns out it is a 20 pin rather than 24. It is a MadDog (rebranded PC P &
C) 550 so that is out. I am going with 4x 500gb WDs (no Raptors) because a
large part of what I do is video processing and large HDD capacity is a
must for me. I might add one 250gb WD drive I have already for OS and apps
and set up two raid0 arrays for video rendering and temp storage. The
Antec Neo HE 550 should do fine and is available as an option with several
of the cases I have looked at. I really thought I would have my order in
by now, but when I start looking around my mind gets changed, it seems,
about every 5mins..........:-). Any recomendations on case and cooling you
have might help...lol. I haven't done any water cooling in years, so I get
bogged down pretty easily on the water cooling sites.

Ed

Wow,
Those drives are gonna generate a lot of heat.
I had 3 drives in one case and didn't like the drive temps I was seeing in
SpeedFan.
Keep a space between them if at all possible and keep that air flow going.

Amir

Old April 14th 07, 09:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

'Ed Medlin' wrote:
| Great temps. With a good case and good airflow, you might even see a
| decrease when you close it up. I am not familiar with nTune's stress test,
| but you cannot beat those temps if it stressing the CPU. How much noise
are
| you hearing with the stock fan and the video card fan?
_____

The GPU fan noise is less than that of any other fan, but then I haven't
really stressed the card very much so far.

Using CPU Burn-In ver 1.1, error checking turned OFF
CPU and chipset fan set to 100%
All case fans OFF; Power Supply fan ON.

Room air temperatu 27 C
Reported by nVidia System monitor after 10 minutes
CPU temperatu 43 C
System temperature (chipset?): 40 C

The chipset fan created more noise than the CPU fan. The CPU fan noise was
low frequency and barely audible from 1 meter even with the case open, MUCH
less noise than a Zalman 'flower' type fan/heatsink.
The chipset fan created a high pitched noise.

CPU Burn-In seems to stress only one CPU.

SiSoft Sandra 2007 claimed to detect five temperature sensors, but would not
show readings.

nVidia System Monitor reports only three readings; CPU, System, GPU. I
think System temperature may be chipset temperature.

I installed a PCI ATA IDE card (Silicon Image SD-ATA133R). It is
incompatible somehow with the system. It installs ok, but the system hangs
darning boot-up if a drive is connected, does not hang if no drive is
connected. The website indicates such a problem may exist if you do not set
up a RAID. The directions for solving the problem don't make any sense.

The controller card problem and the seeming lack of good stress tests and
complete temperature monitoring mean I'm not having any overclocking fun
right now, so I am going to concentrate on installing and customizing all
the software.

Any suggestions on dual CPU stress tests and 680i motherboard temperature
monitoring will be greatly appreciated.

Phil Weldon

"Ed Medlin" wrote in message
. net...

| "Phil Weldon" wrote in message
| ink.net...
| Early temperatures from my E4300 / EVGA 680i / EVGA 8800 GTS / Patriot
| PC8500 SLI ready memory:
|
| After 10 minutes of the nTune stress test (all components) the end
| temperatures were
| CPU: 37 C
| System: 34 C
| GPU: 50 C.
|
| The side of the case was open and the air temperature was 23 C.
|
| All settings were stock. Memory settings (from the SPD) were 1066 MHz
bus
| speed and 2.3 volts.
| Voltage: 2.3 VDC.
|
| At this point I have no idea what the stress test includes, and how fan
| speed control works - in the BIOS I had set the fan speeds to manual and
| 100%, but the CPU fan speed at the end of the 10 minute stress test was
| more
| than twice the CPU fan speed reported by the BIOS with the 100% manual
| setting.
|
| At the moment only Windows XP Pro (without service packs and updates)
plus

Old April 15th 07, 01:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Fishface

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...rime_2004.html

Old April 15th 07, 01:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Amir Facade

I'm waiting on the price drop and increased cache myself, but if you ran 2
different CPU stress tests at the same time, or maybe encoded some video
while running a stress test, would that run both CPUs at 100%?
Just a thought.

Amir

PS: keep the results coming. I'm watching closely.

Old April 15th 07, 02:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Fishface

Ed Medlin wrote:

I have pretty much got everything together now except I just can't decide on
a case and water cooling system. I am going with the i680 from Asus with
onboard sound and lan (just in case I lose PCI slots).

Which one was that, the P5N32-E SLI PLUS?

2gb of ram should do me fine and I am still looking for the fastest I can find
to try and keep my memory bandwidth up with the higher fsb of the E6600.

Let me tell you about some memory of which I bought 8 GB because I liked it.
It's made by Super Talent and is part number t667ub1g_m or t667ub1g/m. It
is rated DDR2-667 with 1.8v at 5-5-5-15 and feature no heatspreaders. It
has Micron D9GMH chips. I paid just over $50 per GB stick. I memtested
them all at 430 x 7 with 2.1v at 4-4-4-12 and they didn't seem to get too hot.
They had them at eWiz and cybersprinter.com but now seem to be sold out.
Maybe you can find them somewhere else at a good price if you're interested.

Now about that E6600... The price cuts are a week away. If you were going
to spend over $300 for the E6600, wait the week or so and save some cash
or maybe get a QX6600 quad core for $5xx instead!

Old April 15th 07, 02:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Fishface

Now about that E6600... The price cuts are a week away. If you were
going to spend over $300 for the E6600, wait the week or so and save
some cash or maybe get a QX6600 quad core for $5xx instead!

I guess it's not a QX6600 but Q6600 as it does not bear the "Extreme"
moniker. Anyway, it has a 10 multiplier...

Old April 15th 07, 07:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

After much head scratching (I may yet be forced to RTFM) I finally managed
to actually CHANGE the CPU speed. The nTune supplied with the motherboard
is either buggy or not up-to-date (when I try to run the automatic [ugh]
overclock tuning the message 'nTune can only be used with nForce 2 or later
motherboards' is displayed. So after setting every thing to manual in the
BIOS and keeping EVERY setting to stock except for the frontside bus speed.
I set the frontside bus clock to 300 MHz while leaving the PCI/PCI-E bus
speed locked and got a CPU speed of 2.7 GHz and a memory bus speed of 1000
MHz.

CPU core voltage was stock. Memory voltage was 1.8 VDC, memory timings were
stock (the Patriot SLI-ready PC8500 memory has 2.3 VDC in the SLI-ready
SPD.)

The CPU and chipset fans were set to 100%.
Intel boxed-retail heatsink/fan w/ zinc oxide in ester base thermal grease.
No case fans were used.
The case side was open.

*** IDLE Temperatures:
Room ambient: 26 C
CPU: 31 C
System (chipset?): 39 C

*** STRESSED temperatures:
Room ambient temperatu 26 C
CPU: 40 C
System (chipset?): 39 C (minimal RAM access?)

SiSoft Sandra 2007.4.11.22 CPU arithmetic and multimedia stress test
ONLY ONE CPU STRESSED

The CPU speed and temperatures were reported by nTune.
Anomaly warning:
SiSoft Sandra 2007.4.11.22 reported
CPU voltage: 2.93 VDC
CPU power: 264 Watts

and offered

Q6300 and Q6400 CPU comparison benchmarks, quite a feat, huh?

Phil Weldon

Old April 15th 07, 02:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Medlin

_____

[...]

Since I do a lot of video I have learned to cope with that. I use cases with
good airflow and drive cooling. I regularly have run 4-6 HDDs over the past
few years without problems. I keep 1/8" or so between drive in a vetical
enclosure with an 80mm low speed fan blowing across them and they stay quite
cool.

Ed

Old April 15th 07, 02:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Medlin

"Fishface" ? wrote in message
Now about that E6600... The price cuts are a week away. If you were
going to spend over $300 for the E6600, wait the week or so and save
some cash or maybe get a QX6600 quad core for $5xx instead!

I guess it's not a QX6600 but Q6600 as it does not bear the "Extreme"
moniker. Anyway, it has a 10 multiplier...

I have already seen them down to $275

Ed

Old April 15th 07, 02:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Medlin

[...]

Yep......and you ain't even got started yet...........:-)

Ed